Iowa (Carver) vs. Colorado (Health & Sciences)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeRandomGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have any particular leanings, as both locations are fine and tuition is not my main concern. Ignoring the US News ranking, which school do you think has the better medical program, learning environment, professors, and students?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Can anyone help?

If not, then am I:
1.) not wording this right?
2.) asking in the wrong place.
3.) not getting any replies because nobody really cares about state schools not in the top ten.

???

Dude.....relax. BTW, go with whichever is cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you said you don't care about tuition, but seriously Colorado OOS is ridiculously expensive! I'm go to Iowa and am from the state so here's my opinion on Carver. The students are pretty laid back (except me :laugh:). If you like to go out and have a good time you will certainly be able to find people to go with you almost every night of the week and there is a pretty big selection of bars. Its a pretty small town compared to most university cities. Parking can be a bitch. The some of the facilities are new, some not. I don't know about the professors, but I would say you will get a good education. There are plenty of EC opportunites. Personally I would prefer the colorado location, but I would say you should come to Iowa if you would have to pay Colorado OOS tuition.

But Colorado has a brand new state-of-the art campus.

I don't know a lot about Colorado, but I've been pretty impressed by Iowa. The facilities are very nice, the students and faculty all seem to be very laid back and supportive, and the reputation is very good. Depending where you're from/what you're used to, one of the only negatives I see is that Iowa City is kind of in the middle of nowhere (but then the cost of living is also astronomically low).

But Colorado has a brand new state-of-the art campus.

Too bad its not finished yet! :lol:

When it is (next year or 2) it will be pretty cool though. I drove by it yesterday and its BIG and modern lookin.

I don't know a lot about Colorado, but I've been pretty impressed by Iowa. The facilities are very nice, the students and faculty all seem to be very laid back and supportive, and the reputation is very good. Depending where you're from/what you're used to, one of the only negatives I see is that Iowa City is kind of in the middle of nowhere (but then the cost of living is also astronomically low).

I would disagree with this. While of course it depends on your frame of reference, the cost of living in Iowa City is extremely high by midwest standards due to the University itself and the large regional healthcare center employing a large proportion of the population. What this results in is quite a bit of rent inflation (crappy one bedroom apartments nowhere near campus starting in the $600 range as compared to apartments in Cedar Rapids 20 miles away in the $400 range). Again, what one considers expensive is entirely subjective, but compared to the cost of living in the greater midwest. Hence all of the healthcare workers commuting from 50 miles away everyday to work at UIHC. Living in Iowa City is expensive.

I would disagree with this. While of course it depends on your frame of reference, the cost of living in Iowa City is extremely high by midwest standards due to the University itself and the large regional healthcare center employing a large proportion of the population. What this results in is quite a bit of rent inflation (crappy one bedroom apartments nowhere near campus starting in the $600 range as compared to apartments in Cedar Rapids 20 miles away in the $400 range). Again, what one considers expensive is entirely subjective, but compared to the cost of living in the greater midwest. Hence all of the healthcare workers commuting from 50 miles away everyday to work at UIHC. Living in Iowa City is expensive.

I completely disagree. Most medical schools are in larger cities than Iowa City with higher costs of living (even in the midwest). I was looking at places last weekend in Iowa City, and you can easily get 1 bedroom places near campus for around 500/month and 2 bedroom places near campus for about 600/month (and they're not that crappy). Agreed, every university town has some degree of rent inflation, but Iowa City is NOT expensive compared to the rest of the Midwest. I'm from St. Louis, which is generally considered to be a "cheap" bigger city, and there's no way you could get anywhere close to the rents available in Iowa City. And, after all, this comparison is with Colorado, and Iowa City is certainly cheaper than Colorado in terms of living expenses.

I agree with Kardiackiehl. When you compare Iowa City to other midwest cities with med schools (Minneapolis, Chicago, Madison, etc...), Iowa City is way more affordable. Especially with all the new development in Coralville, with lots of very nice townhouses and apartments less than a 20 minute bus ride from campus.

All my friends at Iowa are very laid back and supportive. Plus you gotta love the new research building, which is incredibly nice, and an amazing hospital with top 10 ranked departments in ENT, ortho, and optho.

Sweet! Thanks for the replies, I guess that worked. Well, it looks like many here like Iowa better. Can anyone comment on the staff and faculty of Colorado? I guess current students would probably know this better. Oh well.