Iowa City<-->Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any way to get from Iowa City to Chicago, or vice versa? Can I get from one place to the other in a matter of a few hours? And if I use taxi, will it cost a fortune? There's no bus or shuttle that goes btwn the two, is there? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

discus said:
Any way to get from Iowa City to Chicago, or vice versa? Can I get from one place to the other in a matter of a few hours? And if I use taxi, will it cost a fortune? There's no bus or shuttle that goes btwn the two, is there? :idea:

You could fly from Cedar Rapids (twenty minutes from Iowa City). There are shuttles from Iowa City to the airport. I am not aware of any bus that goes from Iowa City to Chicago. Amtrak goes from Mount Pleasant (about an hour south of IC) to Chicago. I don't know how you would get from IC to Mount Pleasant.

Hope this helps a bit.

beary said:
You could fly from Cedar Rapids (twenty minutes from Iowa City). There are shuttles from Iowa City to the airport. I am not aware of any bus that goes from Iowa City to Chicago. Amtrak goes from Mount Pleasant (about an hour south of IC) to Chicago. I don't know how you would get from IC to Mount Pleasant.

Hope this helps a bit.
The drive from Chicago to Iowa City is 3.5 hours or so. I do think there is a bus, but you'll have to check Greyhound. You may want to check the U of Iowa main college website for any shuttle services between the two cities. When I was an undergrad there, we used to say that IC was a suburb of Chicago.

BTW, the plane from Chitown to IC,IA is not expensive and Carver College of Medicine will reimburse costs up to $100 with a receipt.

Members don't see this ad :)
one-way greyhound is $41 and takes 4-6 hours depending on the schedule.
round trip flight is about $190 to/from cedar rapids and is a direct 1 hour flight.

how about renting a car? Or am i missing something?

EctopicFetus said:
how about renting a car? Or am i missing something?

renting a car is EXTREMELY expensive if you're under 25...not even allowed in some states...and they tend to not like it if you're taking it from one state to another when you're under 25

I know for a fact there is a shuttle that goes (or went at one time) b/w Chicago and Iowa city every weekend... www.burbsbus.com

however, it occurred to me that it is set up for people going from Iowa city to Chicago and then back not vice versa, thus there might be complications with scheduling.