Iowa EM Interviewing for 1 PGY-1 and 1 PGY-2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It'sElectric

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the vast majority of people on this forum either already know this or it's of little use to them, but I wanted to inform anyone that was not in the know. I apologize in advance for starting an entirely new thread, but I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.

Please let the membership know that we are interviewing to fill one
PGY-1 spot and one PGY-2 spot to start this year (start date flexible).
Candidates with prior training will be welcome! I can not guarantee any
credit for previous training, as the American Board of Emergency
Medicine has very strict rules about credit from other residencies.

Hans

Hans R. House, MD, FACEP

Program Director, Dept. of Emergency Medicine

Associate Professor, University of Iowa

200 Hawkins Drive, GHc43

Iowa City, IA 52242

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people on this forum either already know this or it's of little use to them, but I wanted to inform anyone that was not in the know. I apologize in advance for starting an entirely new thread, but I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.

Anyone know why? Does this reflect on the quality of the program?

Apparently "due to an increase in resident compliment" according to SAEM's residency vacancy site. Here it is in full:

University of Iowa
Program Type: 1-3 EM
Program Director: Hans House, M.D.
Program Contact: Kelly Norton
E-mail: Kelly[email protected]
Phone: 319-384-6511
Fax: 319-384-9184
200 Hawkins Drive GHc43,
Iowa City, IA 52242

Our fully accredited program has openings in the PGY-1 and PGY-2 classes due to an increase in resident compliment. Applicants for the PGY-2 position should have completed an PGY-1 year in an accredited Emergency Medicine program. Please submit a personal statement describing the reason for your desire to transfer, CV, medical school transcript, Dean’s Letter, USMLE Scores and 3 letters of recommendation. One letter should come from your current Program Director. For questions, please call or e-mail the Program Contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I'm tempted to apply just to have the opportunity to work for House, M.D. What an AWESOME name for a program director!

Anyone know why? Does this reflect on the quality of the program?

Absolutely not. I interviewed there for an attending position. They have an incredible set-up. As far as I could see (and from discussing things at length with I resident I know there) the program is well set-up and any resident would be well served to train there.

BTW - I have no affiliation with Iowa. I work at a different academic center and trained elsewhere. I was just impressed with what I saw.

- H

If you apply there, you better play a musical instrument and drink wine. I checked out all their resident bios; the majority of them say something along the lines of: "I play piano, and 5 other instruments, wine tasting."

Not that there's a problem with that, of course.

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, I may as well inform you all that I am the resident leaving Iowa. I am a PGY2, and due to some family issues, and changes in my personal and career goals, I am transfering to a program elsewhere into the same PGY2 position. The program I am transfering to and the one I am leaving both asked for and received from the RRC approval to increase the resident size. The Iowa program is about to open a world class ED second to none. The program I am going to is a lot older and more established, with an incredible flight program which honestly I am excited about. The Iowa program that I am leaving is a great place to train and anyone looking for an opportunity should jump on the chance to train there. My wife is from the area where we are moving and so a happy wife makes for a more happy resident!!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

corpsman where r u going? Chicago?

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, I may as well inform you all that I am the resident leaving Iowa. I am a PGY2, and due to some family issues, and changes in my personal and career goals, I am transfering to a program elsewhere into the same PGY2 position. The program I am transfering to and the one I am leaving both asked for and received from the RRC approval to increase the resident size. The Iowa program is about to open a world class ED second to none. The program I am going to is a lot older and more established, with an incredible flight program which honestly I am excited about. The Iowa program that I am leaving is a great place to train and anyone looking for an opportunity should jump on the chance to train there. My wife is from the area where we are moving and so a happy wife makes for a more happy resident!!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.

Geisinger???