Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin Step I score

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by HandBanana1, Aug 14, 2011.

1. HandBanana1

Medical Student
    Hey everyone, I've read these forums for a while, and this is my first post. In terms of the top 15-20 programs, the consensus on this forum seems to be that it's a crapshoot: a mixture of step-I scores, clerkship grades, school reputation, letters, research, AOA, and a sparkling personality determines whether or not you'll get an interview.

However, moving outside the ivory tower of top-20 programs, I'm interested in the IM programs at the Universities of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, and I want to know what some of you think is a competitive Step-I score for these programs.

I'm a third year at an allopathic school on the East Coast, I was in the top 1/3 of my class for my first two years, I have several publications (including three first authorships--I really, really love research), and I'm a Midwest native who cannot wait to go back. Thanks!

#1 HandBanana1, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your chances are very good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    HandBanana1

Medical Student
    Delete

#3 HandBanana1, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. Next question.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. C5toC9

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    is there info available for average step 1 scores for individual programs? serious q

6. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    See above.

Serious answer.

7. AZhopeful

AZhopeful Natural Killer Cell
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am a resident at one of the programs you mentioned, and I don't know the answer to your questions. I think there is quite a range- some of the folks in my program I know from med school and they were total ballers on Step 1 and 2, and some I bet were pretty average. From what you said, I think you'll have a great chance at any of these programs.

Let me know if you end up interviewing in these parts.