Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm excited about the webinar series! This is my 2nd application cycle, first-time OOS ISU applicant.
I was going to ask if it was open to all applicants that got past academic review or if it was good news, but from what I read, it's open.
Is that correct? Is the series just informational, or is it closed to only a select pool of applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm excited about the webinar series! This is my 2nd application cycle, first-time OOS ISU applicant.
I was going to ask if it was open to all applicants that got past academic review or if it was good news, but from what I read, it's open.
Is that correct? Is the series just informational, or is it closed to only a select pool of applicants?
It’s informational and anyone can sign up who applied to ISU.

Hey guys! A little late to the party but thought it would be nice to join the conversation with some other hopefuls. First-time applicant, IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Current ISU VM3 and vet ambassador here. Just to give you some relief so that you are not stressing as much until February decisions: If your application is in committee review, it will stay that way until February 15th when decisions go out. So you can "relax" until then! ;)
Thanks for your input!! can you shed some light on the informationals? It seems not everyone in this thread has got those emails. I was one of the ones who did not. How do we go about getting the link to join?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input!! can you shed some light on the informationals? It seems not everyone in this thread has got those emails. I was one of the ones who did not. How do we go about getting the link to join?
I think if you applied you should have been sent an email. I just got one today giving general info. If you have not received any I would definitely contact admissions so you can get that sorted out!

Just wondering - does anyone know if they have said what the cut off is for out of state science GPA is? I know they say it changes every year.

Just wondering - does anyone know if they have said what the cut off is for out of state science GPA is? I know they say it changes every year.
For 2019 cycle, cutoff was 2.8 for Residents/Contracts and 3.0 for Non-Residents. It honestly could be higher this year based off of the increase in applications or it could be the same. I’m sure you’d be able to ask on the portal!

OOS: second cycle, first ISU application! Mine currently says "In committee review" and both GPAs are in! Is it true that decisions are usually mid February?

Reactions: 1 users
OOS: second cycle, first ISU application! Mine currently says "In committee review" and both GPAs are in! Is it true that decisions are usually mid February?

February 15th I was told

Has anyone heard anything about the amount of applicants to Iowa state this cycle? I'm curious because on the Colorado state thread someone said they had over 3500 people apply 😭

Has anyone heard anything about the amount of applicants to Iowa state this cycle? I'm curious because on the Colorado state thread someone said they had over 3500 people apply 😭
There was a 30% increase in applications this cycle, so probably a heckin large amount
Basically, rip :'-)

From the thread last year they estimated about 138 residents and 1,355 OOS. With the 30% increase, I would guess around 179 IS and 1,800 OOS? Just an estimate though. I think the article was a little misleading because there is always an increase of applicants after the subsequent year, but I have been told a lot of applicants get thrown out because they don't meet the minimum requirements that change each application cycle depending on the pool of applicants (Science GPA, last 45, prereqs, etc). Just food for thought! :) (also ily and i am rooting for you this cycle!!!!!!!!)

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious- I know Iowa State sent out rejections a few weeks ago. Does that mean If you did not get a rejection that you are either waitlisted or accepted? I am OOS for reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious- I know Iowa State sent out rejections a few weeks ago. Does that mean If you did not get a rejection that you are either waitlisted or accepted? I am OOS for reference.
No. Rejections that happen this early on are usually because the applicant either doesn't meet minimum requirements or met those requirements but had a science GPA lower than the cutoff they established for this year (and therefore didn't pass Academic Review). For those who passed Academic Review into Committee Review, final admissions decisions won't be released until February 15th.

Reactions: 5 users
I sent my transcript to Iowa State University and then put ISU CVM Admissions as the department along with their email. But I got this email today....did I do something wrong?? My supplemental application says in committee review so obvious I applied, is it possible the vet school admissions got it but ISU is sending me that because I didn’t apply to the school, just the vet program?? (Different admissions offices)

Attachments

• 28860A23-6442-4548-B0B6-3C323D5EE9A1.png
    28860A23-6442-4548-B0B6-3C323D5EE9A1.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 145
I sent my transcript to Iowa State University and then put ISU CVM Admissions as the department along with their email. But I got this email today....did I do something wrong?? My supplemental application says in committee review so obvious I applied, is it possible the vet school admissions got it but ISU is sending me that because I didn’t apply to the school, just the vet program?? (Different admissions offices)
Yes, that's from the main admissions office, which is totally separate from the vet school admissions office. Just send a message through your portal to make sure the vet school can see your aid stuff.

Hi there! First year applicant and first year ISU applicant 🙂 this is probably a dumb question but - does everyone else’s SA say that their spring 2021 transcripts are due 7/1? They have my fall and summer 2020 transcript and both my GPAs are updated :)
Thank you! Good luck to everyone that applied!

Hi there! First year applicant and first year ISU applicant 🙂 this is probably a dumb question but - does everyone else’s SA say that their spring 2021 transcripts are due 7/1? They have my fall and summer 2020 transcript and both my GPAs are updated :)
Do they update our fall transcript into our last 45 and to the science GPA?

Anyone know or have a rough idea of what Iowa’s science GPA cut off was this year, if they had one??

How did you send your transcripts? I sent mine a while back, but my portal has not been updated yet.

How did you send your transcripts? I sent mine a while back, but my portal has not been updated yet.

How did you send your transcripts? I sent mine a while back, but my portal has not been updated l
Last year I sent my official transcripts through the website our university has in place to the email on the “transcript” portion of their website. Since they are in the process of reviewing applications, your updated transcripts/ GPA may not be put in until you are reviewed or they go through the transcripts and then enter in the new GPAs late January/ early February :) thats at least how they did it last year!

Last year I sent my official transcripts through the website our university has in place to the email on the “transcript” portion of their website. Since they are in the process of reviewing applications, your updated transcripts/ GPA may not be put in until you are reviewed or they go through the transcripts and then enter in the new GPAs late January/ early February :) thats at least how they did it last year!
I did the same thing and I filed FAFSA and i got an email saying they got it, but I didn’t apply. Is that normal since the DVM admissions office is different from general ISU admissions?

I'm a little late to this post--haven't been on SDN for a bit, but I'm a current 2nd year at Iowa State and was an OOS applicant. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer.

same here! I don't believe I need any more classes for ISU than when I applied. I guess we can just ignore it?

Hey everyone! I hope you all are staying calm :) For anyone who's currently at ISU do you know when is the best time to start looking for housing at Old Orchard? I'm an in state student and am planning on doing the one year masters at ISU if not accepted this cycle. I would be moving from Des Moines to Ames and wasn't sure how fast the homes go. I'm also bringing my german shepherd and two cats with, so I'm pretty limited on housing options. Thanks!

I did the same thing and I filed FAFSA and i got an email saying they got it, but I didn’t apply. Is that normal since the DVM admissions office is different from general ISU admissions?
I got the same thing as well and it should be fine. From what I have heard CVMs send out their own award packages based off GPA, need, etc.

Hey everyone! I hope you all are staying calm :) For anyone who's currently at ISU do you know when is the best time to start looking for housing at Old Orchard? I'm an in state student and am planning on doing the one year masters at ISU if not accepted this cycle. I would be moving from Des Moines to Ames and wasn't sure how fast the homes go. I'm also bringing my german shepherd and two cats with, so I'm pretty limited on housing options. Thanks!
I have lots of classmates that have already posted their trailers for sale. I'd recommend looking at the facebook page ISU CVM Buy/Sell/Trade as that's where they are all listed (started to be posted a few months ago already so look back)!

Just to chime in.. my school sent mine via mail like mid/later December and they updated my portal recently (pretty sure today, maybe yesterday) I think they are a little behind because of New Years.

I have lots of classmates that have already posted their trailers for sale. I'd recommend looking at the facebook page ISU CVM Buy/Sell/Trade as that's where they are all listed (started to be posted a few months ago already so look back)!
Thank you so much! :)

I second to start looking at trailers in old orchard ASAP! truly never too early to start looking and I've seen a few nice ones already go up for sale. Last year by May all the the decent ones were already bought. (1st yr vet student here)

I second to start looking at trailers in old orchard ASAP! truly never too early to start looking and I've seen a few nice ones already go up for sale. Last year by May all the the decent ones were already bought. (1st yr vet student here)
Good to know! Thanks! I’ll start seriously looking once I know about acceptances. I’m thinking of moving up there regardless if I get in to do the one year masters at ISU.

I messaged staff through the supplemental application messaging system regarding getting emails about my transcript not being received by the main office and the same with my FAFSA. Thought I would share the response in case anyone is in the same situation:

"We have your transcript and will be updating your Status Page in the next week. Unfortunately, the staff member who downloads and organizes the incoming transcripts came down with COVID and has been gone for the past two weeks and is still in quarantine. With 100 or more transcripts coming in each day, we are behind in downloading and updating the GPAs. I apologize for this and hope that next week we can get caught up.

The other message about not having an application probably came as a result of your FAFSA which we also have. The College of Veterinary Medicine's application process is totally separate from the main campus Admissions Office. We send electronic veterinary medicine application data to them, usually around the first of December, and they upload it into the main ISU Admissions system. Last year, being what it was, they are behind and do not have the information in their system."

Reactions: 4 users
I know we won't hear anything until February, but the alert emails about new messages in the messaging system made my heart drop out of my butt, I swear. 😂
Stay strong out there, everybody. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I know we won't hear anything until February, but the alert emails about new messages in the messaging system made my heart drop out of my butt, I swear. 😂
me too!! almost started tearing up and said my goodbyes to Iowa last week. I wish everyone a great semester and hopefully minimal stress about vet school!

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if we get notified when they have received our transcripts?
They did not send me an email when they received my transcript, but they did update my GPAs in the portal along with updating that I completed the class they were waiting for.

Haha omg same! I was at work and had to run to the bathroom to check because I thought it was bad news 😂

• Haha
Has anyone else's transcripts not arrived yet? I requested mine from my school on December 23rd. They won't send them over email and now I'm scared they won't arrive on time :( I requested an additional one to be sent through fedex, but do not have a tracking number.

I’m hope this helps! I found it on their website:

“Fall 2020 (due postmarked January 20, 2021) and Spring 2021 (due postmarked July 1, 2021) official transcripts need to be sent directly from the institution to Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine.”

If I understand correctly, it sounds like as long as they are in the Mail by the deadline, you are good to go!

Does anyone know if we need to send in transcripts if we did not take any courses for the fall 2020 semester?

Has anyone posted any messages to the portal that arent being answered? I had my transcript sent over electronically on the 4th so I posted to make sure they were received over a week ago and haven’t heard back. My gpa won’t change with my fall grades so I have no way to tell if it’s updated 😬 I know they’re behind on going through them but not hearing anything by the deadline to have them in is stressing me out!

Has anyone posted any messages to the portal that arent being answered? I had my transcript sent over electronically on the 4th so I posted to make sure they were received over a week ago and haven’t heard back. My gpa won’t change with my fall grades so I have no way to tell if it’s updated 😬 I know they’re behind on going through them but not hearing anything by the deadline to have them in is stressing me out!
Did you have any outstanding prereqs done in Fall that they needed in the "materials received/needed" section because that is where I saw that they received my transcript

Did you have any outstanding prereqs done in Fall that they needed in the "materials received/needed" section because that is where I saw that they received my transcript
It says due - no required coursework and they haven’t changed it. 😕