Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillowRosenberg

Cornell Class of 2019!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this started yet, so I figured I would! I am excited for this school, and just wanted to know what other people have thought of it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved their school when I visited for APVMA, so I'm applying. I sent in the payment/signature page on Monday so I'm just waiting now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! I am glad to see this page has finally arrived. I am a current first year at ISU (three days in). Obviously I hope you all get in and secondly come to ISU. :D

Reactions: 2 users
I'm almost done with the supplemental! I just need to finish my essay on what the school offers me..

Re-applying here this year after getting waitlisted for the last application cycle... I LOVED ISU when I interviewed last year!

ME TOO! I just don't know what exactly they are looking for....

I don't know either...I know this essay isn't gonna be looked at too in depth, but I think that makes it worse!

This is my in-state school and the only school I am applying to. I am so excited!

I just completed the supplemental, I really like this school a lot...okay I really like a lot of the schools haha!

Anyone know what their interviews are like? I've heard this one isn't too stressful...

My good friend interviewed here last year, and she said that it was one of the least stressful, along with Mizzou

My good friend interviewed here last year, and she said that it was one of the least stressful, along with Mizzou
Who in the world could you be talking about? :p

To answer your question @WillowRosenberg, the interview is about 45 minutes- 1 hour, behavioral (so not direct questions about vet med usually, more of a "Tell us a time when you thought outside of the box or when you overcame an obstacle"), and with 2 faculty/DVMs. My interview was extremely conversational, very low stress, and they really calmed me down (I'm a nervous interviewee who visibly shakes ,so that was quite an accomplishment). Altogether, I would say that ISU was an awesome interview, but you have to keep in mind that everyone will have different experiences due to having different people interviewing them (for instance my interview experience was 100% different than a friend's at another school's interview).

For me it helped to look at the interview feedback questions on here, so if your nervous it might be worth it to take a glance at that :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OS applicant and submitted my VMCAS weeks ago. ISU still hasn't received it but other schools. Has anyone else encountered this?

I submitted my VMCAS back in July and I just got an email last week saying that they received it, so it must just take awhile.

I'm an OS applicant and submitted my VMCAS weeks ago. ISU still hasn't received it but other schools. Has anyone else encountered this?
Don't worry. They're weeks behind on updating the OOS students. The deadline was over a month ago for IS students so I'm assuming they're tackling those first.

Good luck to everyone this cycle! I am a 2020 applicant but I figured I would scope out one of my picks: ISU! I love reading about everyone's advice and process so I will be poking in every now and again ahah!

Good luck to everyone this cycle! I am a 2020 applicant but I figured I would scope out one of my picks: ISU! I love reading about everyone's advice and process so I will be poking in every now and again ahah!
...I'll be a veterinarian when you start vet school. *unreal*

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Are you starting your first year this year? I am applying next summer lol

Are you starting your first year this year? I am applying next summer lol
I'm in my third year. Lol. So when you start your first year, I'll have just finished clinics :) Good luck with your apps!

My application status was in academic review, and now after "Application Status" it says "None".o_O ... What does this mean? Does anyone else have this on their status page? I submitted both my VMCAS and Iowa State's supplemental on August 1st. ...

My application status was in academic review, and now after "Application Status" it says "None".o_O ... What does this mean? Does anyone else have this on their status page? I submitted both my VMCAS and Iowa State's supplemental on August 1st. ...
It could be transitioning to another status.. however, it wouldn't hurt to contact the school via the message system if you are worried about it.

Same thing here. If you get answer, let me know what they say.

Mine also says none...maybe it won't be in review again until the deadline??? Has anyone called them yet?

I messaged them via the message board.
Response: "Our programmer just actually got the status working and changed the default to "none". You are in academic review but I need to manually change this and haven't done this yet. I hope to get caught up by the end of tomorrow."
So no worries!:)

I messaged them via the message board.
Response: "Our programmer just actually got the status working and changed the default to "none". You are in academic review but I need to manually change this and haven't done this yet. I hope to get caught up by the end of tomorrow."
So no worries!:)

Thanks for letting us know. :)

Another ISU applicant here! I initially looked at ISU because I have a friend that just started there this fall, but after looking into the school more, I really like their school. I especially like their study abroad programs. You can be sure I'll take advantage of that if I end up there! Who wouldn't want to go to the Galapagos and work with wild animals?!?!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I'm a new ISU Junior who transferred in from California. It's nice to see so many other individuals nearby who are just as excited as I am for Vet. Med. I'm extremely new to the field (please be patient with me). So I have a few questions for all of you.

What are letters of evaluation? Are those the same as letters of recommendation?
When I read the title of this thread it says "Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants" does that mean starting Vet School in 2019?

I plan to graduate ISU with my Bachelor's in Spring 2017. When do I start the supplemental application?

It's nice to meet all of you! I hope to see you on campus sometime!

Hello! I'm a new ISU Junior who transferred in from California. It's nice to see so many other individuals nearby who are just as excited as I am for Vet. Med. I'm extremely new to the field (please be patient with me). So I have a few questions for all of you.

What are letters of evaluation? Are those the same as letters of recommendation?
When I read the title of this thread it says "Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants" does that mean starting Vet School in 2019?

I plan to graduate ISU with my Bachelor's in Spring 2017. When do I start the supplemental application?

Hello there Falconette!

If you want to matriculate right after undergrad (so fall of 2017), then you would apply Fall 2016. The main application (VMCAS) and most supplementals are due the beginning (usually the 2nd) of October.

Kinda, your LOR (letter of recommendation) is a statement from a few trusted individuals (typically one vet, one academic someone, and an unbiased someone) that can attest to your skills and ability to succeed in vet school.

I go to ISU too:) and I just applied to vet school! We may have classes together haha! Let me know if you have any questions!

AshGirl - Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! Do I need to have taken the GRE by then as well?

Gwenevre - Thank you! I read some where that 6 was the LIMIT? Why would anyone need 6?

Tori_luvs_dogz - That is so exciting you applied for vet school!! You must be ecstatic! :) I hope you hear back soon!

AshGirl - Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! Do I need to have taken the GRE by then as well?

Gwenevre - Thank you! I read some where that 6 was the LIMIT? Why would anyone need 6?

Tori_luvs_dogz - That is so exciting you applied for vet school!! You must be ecstatic! :) I hope you hear back soon!
I actually had 6 LORs the first time I applied. I was an overachiever...

I had six the first time I applied, and I have six now :/ Is that bad? One department head, one professor, four DVMs.

I had six the first time I applied, and I have six now :/ Is that bad? One department head, one professor, four DVMs.

Hmm...I apologize. Perhaps I misspoke. Is it better to have 6? :scared:

Relaaaax. Its best to have at least three positive LORs. You don't HAVE to have six.

Each school varies, but most schools want GRE scores by September or October of the year you are applying.

6 LORs is the official limit, though some schools look at as little as 3. You don't need 6, plenty of people get in with the minimum. Just make sure your LORs are from people that know you and can write a positive letter.

When is the earliest that ISU CVM notifies applicants of interviews?

When is the earliest that ISU CVM notifies applicants of interviews?
If you are instate I believe you should hear by the last week of October or so.

Hii do you happen to know if oos students get notification in October as well?
OOS students can get notified anywhere from mid November, to mid December. There were some that were notified in January as well. With ISU you unfortunately just have to wait and see if they pick you for an interview or not. Just remember there are multiple batches so don't worry too much if November comes around and you don't get chosen first. :)

Wanted to report to anyone OOS and as anxious as I was - got my rejection "message" today via their messaging system. I figured it would be a long shot but wanted to apply anyway. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Wanted to report to anyone OOS and as anxious as I was - got my rejection "message" today via their messaging system. I figured it would be a long shot but wanted to apply anyway. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Wow I am sorry to hear that I didn't think it would be so soon. Now I am freaking out I definitely don't think I am a competitive candidate but I had to try as well.
Does anyone know do they initially weed you out by your GPA/GRE without even looking at experiences??

I'm sorry to hear that (and I instantly went to check my message center). Finding out early is good though. Why did you think you were a long shot? I'm just trying to see how I compare. My VMCAS was just verified a few minutes ago, so I wouldn't have heard anything from Iowa yet.

I can't believe it's out already, if they message us through messaging system, we will get the email alert as well right? because I have been getting an email alert when they replied to my message.