Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! You're the best!

Ooh, does that mean you got in? So much for chances are none, right?

Yes I did get a call last week! We actually got lucky this year. I was also waitlisted in VA-MD and the class got full before they even called 10 people in the waitlist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just offered admission (#133/165) and I will be accepting! Happy to see you all this fall!

Reactions: 4 users
holy cow I never thought they'd get so far into their wait list

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if anyone is still looking for roommates or knows of anyone who may be, but I am searching for a house/trailer/apartment for the fall.

I would be bringing two dogs with me (one smaller and one medium size), but they are both well behaved and quiet.

Message me if you are looking! :)

Hello,

Are there any people currently living in Ames that might have some tips on finding housing in the area. I'm coming from out of state and don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, all. Just a really quick notice that there is a new Buy, Sell, and Trade group: Log into Facebook | Facebook

The admin has stated to us that an iastate.edu is no longer needed to join... so I imagine that you can simply request to be added to the group.

I will likely be throwing up some of my VM1 books and various other things on there once I get back to Ames in a week or so, so keep on the lookout!

I got an acceptance call today! I was #153, I never thought I'd get called!! But now I have to make a decision....

I got an acceptance call today! I was #153, I never thought I'd get called!! But now I have to make a decision....
HOLY cow that's amazing! I wonder how many seats they're still trying to fill. Congratulations! I guess I would think of which program would fit my needs best, cost and the experience. Best of luck to you and whatever you decide on!

HOLY cow that's amazing! I wonder how many seats they're still trying to fill. Congratulations! I guess I would think of which program would fit my needs best, cost and the experience. Best of luck to you and whatever you decide on!

Thank you! I thought there was NO chance of them getting almost all the way down the list. I wish there was a big cost difference so that would make it easier, but I'm leaning towards declining ISU for experience reasons sadly. I wish I could go to both.

Thank you! I thought there was NO chance of them getting almost all the way down the list. I wish there was a big cost difference so that would make it easier, but I'm leaning towards declining ISU for experience reasons sadly. I wish I could go to both.
Hey follow your heart! You have to do what feels right for you. If you believe your experience will be better fit at another school go for it, or if ISU is that school then congrats haha. You have to do what makes you happy and supports your success!

Holy cow!! Congrats! I remember thinking at #59, I wouldn't get called, and now they are at #153! There was only 169 total right?

Holy cow!! Congrats! I remember thinking at #59, I wouldn't get called, and now they are at #153! There was only 169 total right?
I think it was like 165 total. They are really flying through it!

Might any current students have a size chart for white coats?
I know we got fitted for one at our interview and our size is on the web-portal, but I have a feeling I am going to need to ask them to go up a size or two for mine (lol, all the weight I lost while abroad is back :'( ). The question is, go up one size or two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list #154 keep your phone on you. I just declined my seat today. Hardest decision I've ever made! Good luck to the remaining waitlisters!

#165 here... I've just been offered a seat and I'll be accepting when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Question regarding dress code: Does anyone know how ISU feels about facial piercings?

Got a call yesterday saying that Iowa is moving into their interview wait list and if I would be interested in the c/o 2021 still! More information to come tuesday

Reactions: 3 users
Question regarding dress code: Does anyone know how ISU feels about facial piercings?
Facial piercings are fine until you get to clinics in 4th year and have to see clients. Then they would prefer that you take them out for some rotations, particularly the ones that evaluate you for a "professional appearance" as a small part of your grade. Same thing for weird hair colors.

Guys I have an interview with Iowa next week!

Reactions: 6 users
For real, though, it is SO nice outside right now.

Good luck on your interview, @14gsp93! Interesting that some people are being called to interview so late; I guess that they must have gone through the entire waitlist already.
Yeah! They exhausted their regular wait list and still have some seats available so are offering positions to the interview wait list!

I do remember back when I was helping with the interviews in November that at least one faculty member involved with admissions told me that ISU actually received fewer applications than expected this cycle, which is a little odd considering that most vet schools saw massive increases in application numbers... with many of them being record-breaking. In any case, it's good news for those on the interview waitlist---you all are still very much in the game! :)
That's so crazy idk why they would receive so many fewer. The school seems pretty amazing to me and I'm stocked for the opportunity! A lot of other schools I applied to saw an influx of 500-800 applications. So crazy

If you don't mind me asking, what number were you on the Interview Alternate list? :) Congrats by the way!
I was #15! And thank you! I never thought they'd make it into the alternate list for interviews

Hey guys I was starting to look into housing, trying to be proactive since this is so last minute. How do the students go about purchasing trailer park homes in old orchard? Do you put it on your student loans or do you get separate housing loans? If anyone has any info on this is would be much appreciated!

Hey, I'm not part of 2021, but am applying for 2022 and was hoping you all could help me out real quick on the supplemental. For the high school/college awards/activities does the award or activity have to be something you did directly related to the school, or just during that time? Ex: would 4H be ok to put under high school activity or is it more looking for like National Honor Society through the school? Thanks!

Hey, I'm not part of 2021, but am applying for 2022 and was hoping you all could help me out real quick on the supplemental. For the high school/college awards/activities does the award or activity have to be something you did directly related to the school, or just during that time? Ex: would 4H be ok to put under high school activity or is it more looking for like National Honor Society through the school? Thanks!
Yes, they are looking for your best experiences during that time, so things like 4H or varsity baseball, anything during that time frame.

Hey guys I was starting to look into housing, trying to be proactive since this is so last minute. How do the students go about purchasing trailer park homes in old orchard? Do you put it on your student loans or do you get separate housing loans? If anyone has any info on this is would be much appreciated!
I don't know if anyone who owns a trailer is on SDN. But most people I know of did not use their student loans for it. They had help from parents, or were able to qualify for a loan.

I don't know if anyone who owns a trailer is on SDN. But most people I know of did not use their student loans for it. They had help from parents, or were able to qualify for a loan.
Thanks you! I know it's a cheaper option for living it's just hard to come up with that money on my own. Do you have any recommendations for pet friendly apartment complexes? I've got 1 dog I'm bringing who's about 70lbs and a lot of them seem to have a weight restriction on 30 lbs or lower

I don't live in a trailer, so I can't help much there. That said, like @genny mentioned, from what I have been told by students living there, most of them either have familial/spousal support or are take out additional loans in order to purchase one. Honestly, it's not really that much cheaper than apartments in that same area. For example, I am currently living in The Grove apartment complex, which is about a mile from the school (so I walk to class to save on gas expenses)---some students refuse to live here because they think it's "undergrad-centric" and claim that there's too many parties/events, etc., but I've personally had no issues with loudness or anything. The big benefit is that I pay $580/month... and that's it. It includes rent, utilities, internet, cable, and amenities such as the pool and gym. It also pays for any maintenance that I need done on the apartment. With the trailers, from what I understand, you generally will pay less in rent but you do have to pay separately for the utilities, water, electricity, internet, etc., so in the end it is probably on par with if not more than what I am paying for an apartment. And you'd be on your own for most repairs and whatnot; some people are ok with that, but I'm not and I would just rather not have to worry about it.

There is also Copper Beach, which is owned by the same company and right across the street from The Grove. If you're adamant about wanting a 1bed/1bath apartment, it is a great option (The Grove only does 2bed/2bath and 3bed/3bath), but they can be a little on the pricier side. Don't quote me on this, but I have a friend there in a 1bed/1bath and she is paying somewhere from $850-1000/month. If you're relying solely on your loans for living expenses... that is going to be really, really tight as generally you only get a little over $6000 back each semester. If you can work or have a spouse who can, that would help, though. Both The Grove and Copper Beach are pet-friendly.

There are quite a few apartment complexes in Ames, some closer to the school than others, so there are lots of options!
Thank you so much for the help! A ton of info I didn't even know haha. I don't mind the "crazy undergrad" stigma and life. I went to a huge state school and am used to it and it doesn't bother me. I'll have to look into the grove cause that sounds like a pretty fair deal to me. I really want to try and split rent on a 2 bedroom cause looking a budget I really want to stick to 600 or less

ACCEPTED! Class of 2021 here I come!

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats!!! I really liked Ames when I was there for my interview. Woohoo!
Thank you I'm super excited to be a part of this class and opportunity!

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, has the 2021 class been filled yet?

I know they were making their way through those waitlisted for an interview. Kinda wondering if they'll pull from the rejected list like a few schools had to do.

I read that someone was pulled off the rejection list for UC Davis this year
Some got pulled from Mississippi rejection list on Friday. Not sure where Iowa is at. I got offered 7 different interview times so I'm not sure if there were still seven seats or if they were trying to be accommodating

I read that someone was pulled off the rejection list for UC Davis this year

They didn't go through their whole waitlist- they just messed up and accidentally rejected someone who should have been accepted to begin with.

But someone on SDN did get accepted to Mississippi State after being rejected post-interview!

EDIT: And I need to learn to read the post directly above mine. Oops.

They didn't go through their whole waitlist- they just messed up and accidentally rejected someone who should have been accepted to begin with.

But someone on SDN did get accepted to Mississippi State after being rejected post-interview!

EDIT: And I need to learn to read the post directly above mine. Oops.

Oh that makes way more sense for UC Davis.

I am curious to know about the other schools though, especially with the increase of applicants this round. Do you know if schools pull off the rejection list regularly. Maybe they thought they could be extra picky and that backfired :shrug:

Oh that makes way more sense for UC Davis.

I am curious to know about the other schools though, especially with the increase of applicants this round. Do you know if schools pull off the rejection list regularly. Maybe they thought they could be extra picky and that backfired :shrug:

I've heard it's happened to Wisconsin in previous years but other than that I don't know. I don't think it's common- schools definitely want to avoid it.

I think it's tough to predict year to year. Last year Ohio State over-accepted, didn't go into their waitlist at all, and asked people to defer to the next year (and still ended up with a larger class than intended). It looks like they were too conservative this year, and had to go into the reject list. They try to predict how many people will accept their offers, and I guess that's hard to do.

The increase in applications this year also means that each applicant was applying to more schools than in previous cycles, which probably makes it even harder to predict how many will accept offers. I think some schools don't reject anyone post-interview (just accept or waitlist), and I wouldn't be surprised to see more schools start doing that.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Everyone,
I will be applying to ISU this cycle but I am very interested in the biomedical science program for this fall. The dean asked me to apply. Has anyone gone through it? What is your impression? I have my masters from the University of Florida and got into their One Health Online Masters but am really interested in being on campus. Also how difficult is it to gain Iowa residency after living there 12 months for a graduate student? What is the horse board situation in Ames? Can you board your horse at the school?

Hey Everyone,
I will be applying to ISU this cycle but I am very interested in the biomedical science program for this fall. The dean asked me to apply. Has anyone gone through it? What is your impression? I have my masters from the University of Florida and got into their One Health Online Masters but am really interested in being on campus. Also how difficult is it to gain Iowa residency after living there 12 months for a graduate student? What is the horse board situation in Ames? Can you board your horse at the school?
ISU is one of those schools that won't let you change residency. So if you come to Iowa for the BMS program and immediately go into vet school after, you'll still be paying out of state tuition.

I have a friend who did the BMS masters program concurrently with her DVM. She had positive things to say about it, and it gave her more opportunities to get into research at the school.

There are horse boarding opportunities around the school. I am not a horse person, so I'm not going to make recommendations. If you get admitted, you'll be paired with a second year student buddy who can probably give you some options.