Iowa State vs Oregon State vs Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittenvet

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking for some feedback from anyone attending these schools or currently enrolled/ graduated!

I am accepted to Iowa State, waitlisted at Oregon State (unsure of my ranking number yet) and still waiting to hear from Western.

I am from California so staying on the west coast would be ideal. Essentially I am OOS tuition for all 3 schools since Western is private and doesn't differentiate between in vs out. Iowa did accept me with a scholarship that covers half of my first year tuition which I know helps ALOT, also considering very few scholarships are even applicable for 1st years.

From what I know, Oregon State seems like it would be most ideal. It's still West Coast so not too far from family. I love the affiliations they have with zoos, shelters, and aquatics and can see myself taking advantage of those opportunities. I have lived and enjoyed the snow but it was like -2 degrees at most and I hear Iowa goes into the -30s. I really like Western's PBL curriculum and the location - but have learned students travel for 3rd and 4th year? I can imagine that would be even more expensive. Iowa also has the highest NAVLE pass rate of the 3. I also think Oregon or Western would be more diverse than Iowa from the breakdown of accepted students on their websites. I am visiting Iowa on April 1st for admitted students day to get a feel for the campus and area!

Can anyone provide some personal insight to any of the 3 schools, please? If by some chance I am accepted elsewhere I want to be confident I am making the best decision. Also knowing I would lose my seat deposit and have to pay again if Oregon accepts me. It hurts but I just may do it. TIA!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your cheapest school. If that's Iowa, the winters aren't that bad. You're indoors in a classroom or a lab all day for the first 3 years anyway! ISU has a connection with the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines, and their vet teaches an exotics elective. If you're interested and motivated, she would be a good connection for AZA networking.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm looking for some feedback from anyone attending these schools or currently enrolled/ graduated!

I am accepted to Iowa State, waitlisted at Oregon State (unsure of my ranking number yet) and still waiting to hear from Western.

I am from California so staying on the west coast would be ideal. Essentially I am OOS tuition for all 3 schools since Western is private and doesn't differentiate between in vs out. Iowa did accept me with a scholarship that covers half of my first year tuition which I know helps ALOT, also considering very few scholarships are even applicable for 1st years.

From what I know, Oregon State seems like it would be most ideal. It's still West Coast so not too far from family. I love the affiliations they have with zoos, shelters, and aquatics and can see myself taking advantage of those opportunities. I have lived and enjoyed the snow but it was like -2 degrees at most and I hear Iowa goes into the -30s. I really like Western's PBL curriculum and the location - but have learned students travel for 3rd and 4th year? I can imagine that would be even more expensive. Iowa also has the highest NAVLE pass rate of the 3. I also think Oregon or Western would be more diverse than Iowa from the breakdown of accepted students on their websites. I am visiting Iowa on April 1st for admitted students day to get a feel for the campus and area!

Can anyone provide some personal insight to any of the 3 schools, please? If by some chance I am accepted elsewhere I want to be confident I am making the best decision. Also knowing I would lose my seat deposit and have to pay again if Oregon accepts me. It hurts but I just may do it. TIA!!
Hands down OR, if you can swing it. Iowa winters are long and with the windchills the temps can get down to -40F regularly. It's miserable for several months in winter and again in summer. Fall and Spring are ok, but only last like 2 weeks. Summers are long and insufferably hot, and you will have to work outside during your 4th year since everyone does large animal rotations (no tracking). Oh, and tornadoes! I'd take an earthquake over those any day!

That being said, go wherever you can get into a program and congrats!