Iowa vs. Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookestgermain

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am having a very difficult time choosing between Iowa and Kansas. All of the larger factors in deciding where to go are the same for me as I have gotten in-state tuition for both schools (received PSEP for both, ND resident), though Iowa is technically a little cheaper (~$2,000). Driving distance from home is relatively the same (9 hours Kansas, 7 hours Iowa). I am interested in mixed, so I don't care about tracking at Iowa vs. not tracking at Kansas. Both towns feel the same to me (college town) and have the same cost of living. Kansas has nice new facilities, but so does some of Iowa and to be honest I don't really care how new things are (I liked Iowa's facilities during my tours there anyways). The curriculum itself seems relatively the same if I'm tracking mixed at Iowa State. I think you may get the picture now, but at this point I'm considering very minor factors. How would you choose? Any advice from students in these schools? I got some critical feedback from a 3rd year at Kansas which really helped, so any feedback is appreciated! In my mind, they're pretty much the same school.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to ISU for a couple of years. I’ll check back in later when I’m actually at my computer and can formulate a proper response, but for now, I’d recommend checking out my Factors When Picking a School document if you haven’t already; there’s a pretty good amount of information on both schools.

I’ll also tag @genny, @Barkley13, and @Doggo Labs as other ISU people, and @LyraGardenia and @Blueangel7 for KSU.

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I have already looked at that document and nothing really sticks out to me in terms of making or breaking anything. Regarding that document, I don't love that Iowa will just drop you after 1 F when I know Kansas will let you repeat a year before you're dropped, but I'm hoping not to make F's regardless!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently an ISU third year and definitely open to answer any questions you may have. I'm tracking mixed animal as well. The current plan is to update the school classrooms and common spaces this coming summer/school year. Please message me with any questions you have and I'll answer as soon as I can!

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what factors you are looking at are. What exactly are you looking to compare?

To be honest I don't know what factors to even look at anymore to help me decide. As I said, all of the obvious factors/ones I care most about are relatively the same for me. I have heard good things from current students/alumni from both schools about student life and faculty. I'm wondering if there are factors I'm not thinking about that should matter. I know this is not a helpful reply... perhaps feeling prepared to be truly practice ready? Level of hands-on experience and case learning? I've seen a small handful of new vets in practice that are just not fully practice ready (I've been a technician for ~1.5 years at a solely ER/referral practice) which is what would make me the most nervous out of school. However I get ER is a big tackle for new grads regardless, so perhaps I'm not being fair from what I've experienced. But any factors that maybe have not crossed my mind are appreciated!

Tagging some more ISU people for input:
@Tru108 @izzie.holly @brgdo1994 @fredandcessna

I graduated a few years ago, so I can confidently tell you that ISU definitely prepares you for practice. I tracked mixed, but practice small animal now. I loved ISU, and I think they are second to none for large animal education.

Thanks for the reply! Feeling practice ready is definitely one of the most important things to me. Did you find that you were able to get an in-depth education in all species that made you comfortable? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I feel like if you are tracking mixed vs. something like only small animal, you may be only scratching the surface in all species versus getting in-depth in one?

I'm currently an ISU third year and definitely open to answer any questions you may have. I'm tracking mixed animal as well. The current plan is to update the school classrooms and common spaces this coming summer/school year. Please message me with any questions you have and I'll answer as soon as I can!

Thank you, I'll send you a message!

Thanks for the reply! Feeling practice ready is definitely one of the most important things to me. Did you find that you were able to get an in-depth education in all species that made you comfortable? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I feel like if you are tracking mixed vs. something like only small animal, you may be only scratching the surface in all species versus getting in-depth in one?
So tracking is really just 4th year at ISU, though there is an elective that you have to take before that to be allowed in some of the large animal rotations. You get the same broad education regardless of how you track, since that’s what you need to pass NAVLE. You can take electives in years 1-3 that help deepen your knowledge in certain areas that aren’t covered as much by the regular curriculum (exotics, camelids, equine surgery, cattle palpation, etc). But I wouldn’t have a deeper knowledge of either large animal or small animal medicine if I had picked one of those for tracking instead of mixed. I probably would have taken fewer electives though.

Hi! I'm a current first year! I'm tracking small animal, but a lot of my classmates are tracking large. I can try and answer any questions you might have

Thank you all for your help, I ended up committing to Iowa State today. I am excited to be attending, but even more excited to have this weight off of my shoulders from choosing!