Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottoncandy500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't see many people suggesting University of Iowa-Carver. It seems like a great school, why is it not on many peoples' lists?

Members don't see this ad.

Because Iowa.

Reactions: 1 user
Carver is a fine school and a reasonable number of people apply there.

They are one of the most OOS friendly Midwest public schools, but most people don't see themselves living in Iowa City. Everything else about the school is fantastic.

Members don't see this ad :)

They are one of the most OOS friendly Midwest public schools, but most people don't see themselves living in Iowa City. Everything else about the school is fantastic.

Ah, okay. Well I will go ahead and take their interview then!

Take their interview? Isn't either too late for last cycle or too early in this cycle for an interview?

Yes lol. I'm making my school list now. Fewer people wanting to go to Iowa means more chance of interview for me.

I wouldn't consider a 33% OOS acceptance to be a friendly OOS school, but that's just me.

I wouldn't consider a 33% OOS acceptance to be a friendly OOS school, but that's just me.
With it being a state school, that actually is a very good OOS percentage.

My interview group of 12 had 2 from California, 6-7 from Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, and the rest from Iowa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pennsylvania isn't the midwest, nor is Penn a public school, even if it is in the Big 12 (formerly 10).

I assume you're discussing public schools?? If so:

% shows # % interviewed/accepted for OOS

Lets first look at which school is easiest for OOS to get an II

U NE (12.8/1.5)
U IA (12.7/1.6
OH State (10/2)
IU (10.9/1.9)
U MI (if you have the stats) (8.7/2)
U MN (6.2/1.1)
U IL (5.0/.99)
U WI (5/0.9)
MSU (2.4/0.6)

Now let's look at the easiest to be accepted into (note that they're ALL hard...as hard for OOS as for anyone to get into Harvard!):

OH State (10/2)
IU (10.9/1.9)
U IA (12.7/1.6)
U NE (12.8/1.5)
U MN (6.2/1.1)
U IL (5.0/.99)
U WI (5/0.9)
MSU (2.4/0.6)

So in my book, it might be easier to snag an interview in IA, but getting that accept is hard!

Note: I'm not including the new MI schools. Too lazy.

Pennsylvania isn't the midwest, nor is Penn a public school, even if it is in the Big 12 (formerly 10).
Whoops, I always inadvertently group all Big 10 schools as midwest

That's significantly above average. If that school isn't OOS friendly, then your OOS friendly list is in the single digits.

I could definitely name 10 schools with a higher OOS % that are public schools like Iowa.

Iowa City isn't bad. It's like a mini Ann Arbor surrounded by miles and miles and miles of corn.

Better than Urbana or State College if you're talking B1G cities.

Reactions: 1 users

I assume you're discussing public schools?? If so:

% shows # % interviewed/accepted for OOS

Lets first look at which school is easiest for OOS to get an II

U NE (12.8/1.5)
U IA (12.7/1.6
OH State (10/2)
IU (10.9/1.9)
U MN (6.2/1.1)
U IL (5.0/.99)
U WI (5/0.9)
MSU (2.4/0.6)

Now let's look at the easiest to be accepted into (note that they're ALL hard...as hard for OOS as for anyone to get into Harvard!):

OH State (10/2)
IU (10.9/1.9)
U IA (12.7/1.6)
U NE (12.8/1.5)
U MN (6.2/1.1)
U IL (5.0/.99)
U WI (5/0.9)
MSU (2.4/0.6)

So in my book, it might be easier to snag an interview in IA, but getting that accept is hard!

Note: I'm not including the new MI schools. Too lazy.
Those second numbers are % of OOS who matriculate so they should probably be ~3x to get ballpark accept rate

as hard for OOS as for anyone to get into Harvard
Ah yes because the population of applicants to Harvard vs midwestern state schools are basically the same quality!

2% is 2%, regardless of quality.

Actually, acceptance rates are 2-3x for all schools, but just remember that there's a finite number of seats. If you stats are below par, you're not getting in.

Those second numbers are % of OOS who matriculate so they should probably be ~3x to get ballpark accept rate

Ah yes because the population of applicants to Harvard vs midwestern state schools are basically the same quality!

I think the numbers you posted prove my point. Relative to schools like Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Indiana, and Illinois, Carver takes a fairly high proportion of OOS. Ohio is borderline Midwest to me, and same for Michigan. Even including those two, Iowa is still near the top of the list. My MSAR expired, but I think 1/3 of their class is OOS. Their admission office says that their OOS waitlist is unpredictable because the yield is variable, which also leads me to believe that they admit quite a few OOS to fill that 1/3.

Did you interview 11/24?

Nope, way later. I went straight to final pool but got an acceptance in the end.

Last edited:

That's what I thought about Iowa City before I had visited. But once I visited, I was totally in love. It's a fun town and everyone seems to love it. I interviewed at seven places, and this was by far my favorite location.

The more I look, the more I like it. Great program. SHHHH, keep it quiet, our secret!! ha ha ha

Fair proportion is one thing, but the numbers are really small. I can't recommend it to OOSers unless one has well > avg stats for them.

I think the numbers you posted prove my point. Relative to schools like Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Indiana, and Illinois, Carver takes a fairly high proportion of OOS. Ohio is borderline Midwest to me, and same for Michigan. Even including those two, Iowa is still near the top of the list. My MSAR expired, but I think 1/3 of their class is OOS. Their admission office says that their OOS waitlist is unpredictable because the yield is variable, which also leads me to believe that they admit quite a few OOS to fill that 1/3.

As people touched on earlier, I'd say the two biggest reasons people don't come here have to do with location and being unaware of how good of a program it is.

• It gets cold - can't really do anything outside during winter, airports are smaller so traveling home could be costlier/less direct for OOS, stereotype of everything in Iowa being rural/nothing to do, no ocean/large body of water (CA people seem to really miss it).
  • Smaller city - some people want to be in a bigger city - chicago, twin cities, etc.
  • It may be harder to end up somewhere other than the midwest? Not sure how true this actually is. Personally, I believe that you could go anywhere you want from here and that the majority of our grads end up in the midwest because they are from here/want to stay here.
  • I have heard of Iowa City being described as a smaller Madison, WI. I believe the two cities shared the same city planners in fact.
  • Should really come and visit to decide for yourself, given the opportunity. There have been quite a few OOS students who never thought they would come here and in the end chose Iowa over other schools.
Unaware:
  • Not much else to say other then people just don't know... Iowa doesn't have the same name brand recognition as other schools to premeds. However, those in the medical field have great regard for Iowa. I've been told by upperclassmen that coming from Iowa was seen as a positive during residency interviews in various programs across the country, competitive ones included.
Feel free to ask more questions/PM me if anyone is interested.

I think it is a great school, and highly ranked for a state school. The numbers make it look friendly enough for me.