Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard from Iowa yet - post interview?!!?

Members don't see this ad.

iamme said:
There was another thread about U Iowa where someone mentioned they got in. Don't remember who. He had his interview in late Sept. if I remember right. Don't think anyone with an Oct. interview has heard yet, but could be wrong.

iamme said:

I interviewed on the 10th and they told us that we would find out mid November after the next adcom meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
belle_6161 said:
Does their adcom meet once a week?
I think I remember them saying that they meet every other week. Good to know about October interviewees as I interviewed on October 3 and haven't heard anything.

BTW: I went there as an undergrad, have family in town and absolutely LOVE Iowa City. If you happen to get in and want to know more about the town, feel free to PM me.

gdbaby said:
I think I remember them saying that they meet every other week. Good to know about October interviewees as I interviewed on October 3 and haven't heard anything.

BTW: I went there as an undergrad, have family in town and absolutely LOVE Iowa City. If you happen to get in and want to know more about the town, feel free to PM me.

I grew up in Iowa City. Absolutely love it and miss it-Durham is such a rot in comparison. Also could tell anybody who's interested a fair amount about the university and med school (connections, of course :))

Interviewed second week of October... havent heard yet

I think their first adcom meeting was last week

First time poster...long-time lurker, glad to enter the discussion!

I interviewed the first week of October, and found a fat envelope in the mail today! Hope to see some of you in the fall!

Pismo said:

I interviewed the first week of October, and found a fat envelope in the mail today! Hope to see some of you in the fall!

Congratulations Pismo, are you an in state student?

Pismo said:

Hey Pismo, are you in-state or out-of-state? My hunch is that they'll get through in-state first (I'm out-of-state). I interviewed 10/07, so I guess 2nd week of October? Oops, the guy ahead of me already asked. I don't know how to delete a post, sorry!

Pismo said:

I hope to see you too. I too interviewed in the first week (10/3), but no envelope. Maybe next April! Congrats Pismo--what a great first post for you! :thumbup:

Messerschmitts said:
Oops, the guy ahead of me already asked

The guy ahead?

YOu talkin' to me sonny boy?

hahah just kidding Messerschmitts, what up?

medhacker said:
The guy ahead?

YOu talkin' to me sonny boy?

hahah just kidding Messerschmitts, what up?

Hola, Che. ;) ¿Cómo estás?

Members don't see this ad :)
Messerschmitts said:
Hola, Che. ;) ¿Cómo estás?
:wow: oh snap! look at you!

so i take it the adcom meets every week?

I swear they said 'about every other week,' but maybe they lied.

I believe that in-staters are interviewed on wednesdays

laboholic said:
I believe that in-staters are interviewed on wednesdays
I had some in-staters in my group which interviewed on a Monday.

medhacker said:
Congratulations Pismo, are you an in state student?

Yes, I am an in-state student. About 3/4 of the students on my interview day were in-staters. I'm still trying to make sure I'm not dreaming. Surely my dream wouldn't last multiple days and involve me posting on SDN, would it? :D

Pismo said:
Yes, I am an in-state student. About 3/4 of the students on my interview day were in-staters. I'm still trying to make sure I'm not dreaming. Surely my dream wouldn't last multiple days and involve me posting on SDN, would it? :D
You'd be surprised. But, I am pretty sure we will be calling you doctor in four years. :)

BTW Pismo: when you send in your letter of intent, could you put in a good word for ole gdbaby? I REALLY would like to go there. :D

gdbaby- my acceptance letter was dated 10/17, but it's postmarked 10/26. They say I have two weeks to notify them in writing or by email, but two weeks from 10/17 is monday, so I'll email them tomorrow and remind them a fellow SDN'er by the name of "gdbaby" still needs some love. ;) It'll be up to them to read all of your posts and put a real name with a profile. (think they have their admissions information in an easily searchable database, so they can query for matching attributes?)

belle_6161- I actually interviewed after 10/3, but before 10/8 :)

belle_6161 said:
Pismo-
Did you interview on 10/3?
belle, I interviewed on 10/3 too.

Pismo, thanks. Tell them that the gdbaby is also the start of my email address so if they want to skip the postage and just email that would be fine. I'd love to share a cadaver with you. :)

Where in Iowa are you from Pismo? My husband's from D'port.

gdbaby said:
Where in Iowa are you from Pismo? My husband's from D'port.

Ahh! I was wondering why Iowa was such a high choice for you if you're in Colorado. You have kids too, right? because the M1 who gave our tour was joking how he must have missed the memo- he said "everyone here a) is married, b) has a kid, and c) runs marathons..."

If I can get in after only "c", then at least two out of three should give you even better odds! :) ...and I'm from western iowa (closer to omaha than iowa city)

Pismo

Pismo said:
Ahh! I was wondering why Iowa was such a high choice for you if you're in Colorado. You have kids too, right? because the M1 who gave our tour was joking how he must have missed the memo- he said "everyone here a) is married, b) has a kid, and c) runs marathons..."

If I can get in after only "c", then at least two out of three should give you even better odds! :) ...and I'm from western iowa (closer to omaha than iowa city)

Pismo

Boy I need to hurry up and start doing marathons then I will have full house :)

medhacker said:
Boy I need to hurry up and start doing marathons then I will have full house :)
Will triathlons suffice? Had to give up the marathons after the bunion surgeries. You probably think I am 80 years old now, but I am not.

gdbaby said:
Will triathlons suffice? Had to give up the marathons after the bunion surgeries. You probably think I am 80 years old now, but I am not.

my only marathon was at the end of Ironman Lake Placid, so triathlons are cool by me! I'd much rather swim or bike than run anyday (and my splits prove it :p ) --the good thing about iowa is that it seems like lots of the students there are pretty fitness minded, so I don't think it will be hard to find workout partners!

Pismo said:
my only marathon was at the end of Ironman Lake Placid, so triathlons are cool by me! I'd much rather swim or bike than run anyday (and my splits prove it :p ) --the good thing about iowa is that it seems like lots of the students there are pretty fitness minded, so I don't think it will be hard to find workout partners!
Ooo I do love talking as if I am already there. The Iowa hills make for good bike training as well.

Yes, they love their fitness, but they also love their pork. Brick workouts and Iowa pork chops--together at last. I'll see you at the Machine Shed!

All of a sudden, i feel severely overweight and out of shape....grrr

submitted my secondary on friday and received an interview today for the 18th...they're schedule seems short and sweet..in at 9 and out by 130....was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on the Iowa interview...also will anyone be goin up there the 18th?

For those if you interested in Iowa, if you have any questions about the area, let me know. I've live in and around IC most of my life.

Good luck to all of you, I may be seeing you in the fall.....

jon0013 said:
submitted my secondary on friday and received an interview today for the 18th...they're schedule seems short and sweet..in at 9 and out by 130....was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on the Iowa interview...also will anyone be goin up there the 18th?

Good luck with your interview! The interview feedback page on this site had all of the questions I was asked, although the standardized "no feedback" questions part feels a little weird. Thankfully the interviewers are allowed to interact more when you get through them!

My interview day started at 11am and ended about 4pm, (I had one of the last interview slots) so they must have moved the schedule for the day up earlier. I enjoyed starting at 11, because I was able to sleep in and relax while getting ready after having just gotten into town late the night before!

Got back today from an interview to an Iowa acceptance!

titoincali said:
Got back today from an interview to an Iowa acceptance!

Congratulations!!! :clap:

Nice job...maybe I'll see you and gdbaby there next year...hoping for the gdbaby

BaylorGuy said:
Nice job...maybe I'll see you and gdbaby there next year...hoping for the gdbaby
I am hoping for the gdbaby too. That gdbaby is one hell of a gal! :laugh:

Congrats, doctors!

Are any of you August MCATers? I am wondering if perhaps haven't heard anything becasue, even though I had an interview on 10/3, I wasn't complete until October 15th. I know, I know, I probably won't hear anything until March.

gdbaby said:
Are any of you August MCATers? I am wondering if perhaps haven't heard anything becasue, even though I had an interview on 10/3, I wasn't complete until October 15th. I know, I know, I probably won't hear anything until March.

Last year I was an August MCATer. Interviewed right after thanksgiving and got my rejection second week of March. But this last half a year has been an amazing experience (other than having to go through the application process again) and I am stronger and more mature from it! And hopefully I have been learning things in my extra classes and shadowing that will help me next year at Iowa! :thumbup:

Has anyone who interviewed on Oct. 17th heard anything from Iowa. Also just curious....in-state or out-state? Thanks!

I don't know if this will help, but I was an Aug MCATer last year, complete for MSTP at the end of October, MSTP interview at the end of Jan. I was then wait listed MD only in April then accepted a week later (MD only).

I am also in-state.