Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear from Iowa recently?

I interviewed in early December, haven't heard back from them and am wondering when I should expect to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear from Iowa recently?

I interviewed in early December, haven't heard back from them and am wondering when I should expect to know.

There is another Iowa thread that may be helpful. Iowa's committee is supposedly meeting each week in Jan. Many folks have been waiting for an answer since early October. It seems that they are letting in a very few folks right off the bat--but if they do not let you in during that process...then you wait without any notification at all. It is my understanding that the Jan ADCOM meetings will determine acceptances, rejections, or those held for the final pool with a mid-march notification. It seems to a number of us that the process at Iowa is slower than normal this year as very few SDNers (including those with some stunning applications/multiple acceptances) are still waiting without news..but who knows. It seems certain, however, that a little more waiting is likely. Good luck to you and let us know if you hear anything:luck:

I'm getting impatient too. Hopefully things really get moving this month...

Members don't see this ad :)
are these adcoms in january also deciding who gets an interview? I am still waiting/hoping for one...and hope they aren't done w/ that yet.

They have interivews through early Feb, so you still have hope for one. I'm not sure if the adcom decides to give interviews or the admissions office- I tend to think its the administrators. I don't think the process is slower this year, just that fewer people are getting accepted during the rolling phase.

I called on Monday and was told that I am still in the rolling phase (Interviewed in Nov). I also was told the same thing as Confused48 concerning what is going on in January.
But does anyone know what day/days the adcom will meet during the week, and/or when letters for those accepted would be sent out each week?

I called on Monday and was told that I am still in the rolling phase (Interviewed in Nov). I also was told the same thing as Confused48 concerning what is going on in January.
But does anyone know what day/days the adcom will meet during the week, and/or when letters for those accepted would be sent out each week?

Only that they go out by snail mail which means further waiting for those at some distance from the epicenter that is Ia city. Did you get the idea that they would let folks know which pool (i.e. in, out, or in the final pool) they were in in Jan?
:luck:

I know they are going to let people know if they are in the final pool (this month as they meet), but I'm not sure about the acceptances.

Only that they go out by snail mail which means further waiting for those at some distance from the epicenter that is Ia city. Did you get the idea that they would let folks know which pool (i.e. in, out, or in the final pool) they were in in Jan?
:luck:

I was told that they will inform us if/when we are placed in the final pool but not how they will do so (snail mail, email, etc).

I sent an e-mail to Iowa medical school admissions last week inquiring as to what the status of my application was. I interviewed at Iowa back in Mid-October and was wondering the same thing you guys were as to whether I had been placed in the final pool or in the rolling phase. Judi got back to me today through e-mail notifying me that I had been admitted yesterday and that the accetance letter was in the mail. Therefore, it appears that the admissions committee either met the end of last week or the beginning of this week (that is just an assumption). I wish you guys the best of luck. I know, the waiting definitely sucks, but now it has been well worth it! Hang in there.

Hmmm, good timing on your call then! Haha, congrats, maybe I'll hear something then, I interviewed around the same time and haven't heard anything either.

what day did you interview cureious? if you don't mind me asking...

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an e-mail to Iowa medical school admissions last week inquiring as to what the status of my application was. I interviewed at Iowa back in Mid-October and was wondering the same thing you guys were as to whether I had been placed in the final pool or in the rolling phase. Judi got back to me today through e-mail notifying me that I had been admitted yesterday and that the accetance letter was in the mail. Therefore, it appears that the admissions committee either met the end of last week or the beginning of this week (that is just an assumption). I wish you guys the best of luck. I know, the waiting definitely sucks, but now it has been well worth it! Hang in there.

Congratulations.:thumbup: Maybe this means the log jam is finally moving.

I interviewed on Jan 4 2007 and was accepted today when I called. My stats are lower than their averages but I was accepted within 2 weeks. This to tell you that you gotta rock during interview. Best of luck to the rest of you.

So now we are supposed to call/email to get our status? I thought they did not give out updates as a routine. Anyone gotten a snail mail from this month?

I interviewed on Jan 4 2007 and was accepted today when I called. My stats are lower than their averages but I was accepted within 2 weeks. This to tell you that you gotta rock during interview. Best of luck to the rest of you.

What did you do that you think made you "rock" during the interview??

So now we are supposed to call/email to get our status? I thought they did not give out updates as a routine. Anyone gotten a snail mail from this month?

When I interviewed there, they told our group that we could call anytime to received an update... even every day if we desired. I think they might have been referring to waitlist position updates, but maybe acceptance/waitlist status also applies.

For those that got their news via phone or email inquiry--have you gotten the letter yet? Please post when you do so all the rest of us can know that we are not getting one:D

I got the giant letter today in the mail! It came with tons of info about medical fraternities and the area in and around Iowa City. They also stated in the letter that they will be sending more information regarding the procedures for acceptancees in the following few weeks.

Best of luck to everybody else waiting!

(BTW, I live on the west coast and it took 3 days to get here from Iowa City, if people are wondering if something is coming in their mailbox)

What did you do that you think made you "rock" during the interview??

I was able to educate both of my interviewers and made them laugh. By the end, they both told me that I should be able to get in. I hope this helps.

If your interviewers said that then they were definitely violating the interview policy. I was told by admissions staff that the interviewers were to give absolutely no feedback as to how they felt about applicants.

If your interviewers said that then they were definitely violating the interview policy. I was told by admissions staff that the interviewers were to give absolutely no feedback as to how they felt about applicants.

I was thinking the same thing

I called on thursday and the lady told me that I will be notified before the end of January if I am in the final pool - that sounded like I am in the final pool to me

I didn't think my interview was too great (or bad), but I still got accepted in the first mailing- so I don't think you have to be amazing at your interview. Remember that until a few years ago, Iowa didn't even require interviews.

So what do you guys who have been accepted think about Iowa? Think you might attend?

I didn't think my interview was too great (or bad), but I still got accepted in the first mailing- so I don't think you have to be amazing at your interview. Remember that until a few years ago, Iowa didn't even require interviews.

So what do you guys who have been accepted think about Iowa? Think you might attend?

Hey when did you get your letter in the mail sayin you got accepted? And when did you interview?

Any more letters out there? Anybody get anything other than an accepatance? In other words, any body rejected or notified that they are in the final pool post interview?

On mdapplicants, it looks like one person has been rejected, so I'm sure they have started to send rejections.

Anyone know if they're going to the "get acquainted day" or know if it's any fun?

no one who has interviewed is supposed to get a rejection until march. At least that's what I was told.

I was told the same thing

Okay, i'm starting to get nervous. I've heard nothing, interviewed in december.

Okay, i'm starting to get nervous. I've heard nothing, interviewed in december.

I wouldn't be too nervous. I interviewed in mid-october and just got my acceptance on 1/16. That is nearly 3 months of waiting. Just be patient and I am sure there is good news on its way.

Anyone know if they're going to the "get acquainted day" or know if it's any fun?

I live in an apartment with three M1s who are all currently attending the Carver College of Medicine, they said the "get acquainted day" was a good time. I for one am planning on going. And in response to the other posts I interviewed in November and got my acceptance letter on 1/14. Also I am pretty sure but not positive that the rolling phase is over, so if you haven't heard yet you won't until March 15th.

Cool! I'll probably see you there at the get acquainted day. Do you know if the day is just a bunch of seminars and meetings or what?

For those waiting to hear back from Iowa, I have heard of a few people getting acceptances lately (1/25 1/26) so I think they're finishing up telling the last bunch of rolling people since the rolling phase is officially over. I interviewed in early sept. and was accepted in the middle of october.

They are going to send us off to our respective communities and each community has it's own icebreaking activity planned (at least this is how it went last year I am told). Then they have people talk to us about what medical school is like and give yet another tour of the school. One of my roommates said the first half was good, then he skipped the rest, but he also went to Iowa for undergrad and didn't feel he needed to see more of the campus.