Iowa's Evaluation Form (IEF) SUCKS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just needed to vent. Now I need bother my professors again about their letter of recommendation. I'm really contemplating whether or not to apply to Iowa. Anyone else having this same dilemma?

Good SDNers waiting for their August MCAT scores (including myself)!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

Members don't see this ad.

Not applying either. I hate my decision, Iowa's got a great rep for primary care, but those IEFs...GROAN. At least I'm not alone in thinking this :p.

Is Iowa's IEF online to read what it asks? If so, can you give us a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are terrible and yes, they are online for applicants to read. If anyone actually gets in there, work to get rid of those. They really are discouraging competitive people from applying there. The application process is more than enough as it is.

I didn't apply to Iowa specifically because of their custom evaluator forms. I have a bunch of good LORs, so I wasn't about to track down my recommenders from 2-3 years back and ask them to fill out a special form that their letter already conveyed. I think that's a lot to ask. And I definitely wasn't going to bug new people.

Has anyone called them to ask if the form is absolutely necessary?

I applied to Iowa last year, and if i remember right, you HAVE to submit 2 of those custom form things, and a letter packet can substitute for a third form. So really, you only have to hit up 2 of your recs to fill out the form, but you can send all of your letters.

Just bite the bullet and have 2 recommenders fill out the form. By the way, last year Iowa was NOT the only school I applied to that required custom rec. forms, so you might as well get used to them!

The form is DEFINITELY absolutely neccessary. Call them and ask and they will tell you YES! The only excuse, and I do mean the only, is if you are applying MD/PhD they will waive the form as long as you agree to not concurrently apply MD only. Thus, if you're rejected for MD/PhD, no further consideration. And while Iowa isn't the only school to absolutely require forms, it is pretty rare and Iowa is MUCH more strict than any school I encountered. Most are happy to waive the requirement if you ask.

I decided not to send in my secondary to Iowa for the exact same reasons!

Yeah, luckily I still keep in contact w/two of my professors (one is my P.I.) so I was lucky. I was still a little mad that I had to ask them even after they already wrote me lor's. My P.I. is super busy!

Jetson