IPad Air or Pro for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsu_premed

Reaction score
Please explain why. I’m thinking about getting the air but if there is a reason I should get the pro please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't imagine you would need it for anything more than note-taking and perhaps taking exams if they are electronically administered.

If the price difference is significant, go with the cheaper option. I would just make sure it is a model with one of the new retina displays.

Invest the rest of the money in some nice headphones, a nice stylus, a new laptop, or just some activities with friends.

If you want it, just get the pro. You don’t need an ipad for medical school and seems like a waste of money to me, but that’s my own opinion. If you’re already splurging on one, just get the pro.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want it, just get the pro. You don’t need an ipad for medical school and seems like a waste of money to me, but that’s my own opinion. If you’re already splurging on one, just get the pro.

My school requires them. I used it for all of my notes.

I ended up getting the pro when i bought mine.

I have an iPad Air which is not compatible with apple pencil which makes it pretty useless for a lot of the nice note taking apps. If you want an iPad for school get the pro.
I personally bought a surface pro which I really like.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Tons of people in my class use it for notetaking. I personally use it for all my PDFs instead of lugging around a hard copy of FA, Costanzo and Robbins. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I recommend you buy Pro, not Air.
There is a subtle difference between two of them.

Really? Tons of people in my class use it for notetaking. I personally use it for all my PDFs instead of lugging around a hard copy of FA, Costanzo and Robbins. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
I have a laptop that does all that, has a touch screen, and can do some light-medium gaming for a lot less than an ipad pro. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good product. It’s just grossly overpriced

I have a laptop that does all that, has a touch screen, and can do some light-medium gaming for a lot less than an ipad pro. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good product. It’s just grossly overpriced
ive just always loved the portability of an ipad. I cant throw my laptop in the inside pocket of a jacket. Plus there are a lot of wndows tablets which are just as good and way less expensive than the apple ones

Please explain why. I’m thinking about getting the air but if there is a reason I should get the pro please let me know.

I'm a bit old school, but I think paper notes are way better. It's so much easier to flip back and forth between pages when you want to quickly look at something. You can also spread your notes out on your desk and take up way more space than a tiny screen. In the middle of the night when you're cramming for an exam, it's easier on the eyes.

I recommend saving your pennies and using that money on something else.

Last edited:
I'm a bit old school, but I think paper notes are way better. It's so much easier to flip back and forth between pages when you want to quickly look at something. You can also spread your notes out on your desk and take up way more space than a tiny screen. In the middle of the night when you're cramming for an exam, it's easier on the eyes.

I recommend saving your pennies and using that money on something else.

I attempted that at the beginning of M1, but it amounted to thousands of pages and the ipad was easier

I attempted that at the beginning of M1, but it amounted to thousands of pages and the ipad was easier

Gotta do 4-6 slides per page! One sided so that the ink doesn't show through and mess up the next page's slides.

Having said that. M1 was 11 years ago for me. Hahaha. I think you guys are so much better with the super portable electronics (iPad with stylus, apple watch, surface pro) having grown up with it.

I think there's a lot to the action of writing that instills the information in your brain. Typing doesn't have the same effect, and the old writing implements for the touchscreens weren't great.

Studying for the boards, I just can't do the PDFs or the online books. Paper. All the way.

Gotta do 4-6 slides per page! One sided so that the ink doesn't show through and mess up the next page's slides.

Having said that. M1 was 11 years ago for me. Hahaha. I think you guys are so much better with the super portable electronics (iPad with stylus, apple watch, surface pro) having grown up with it.

I think there's a lot to the action of writing that instills the information in your brain. Typing doesn't have the same effect, and the old writing implements for the touchscreens weren't great.

Studying for the boards, I just can't do the PDFs or the online books. Paper. All the way.

They werent all ppts. There were a lot of 10-15 pages of what felt like textbook chapters you can’t really break into pages like that. So i highlighted and annotated that way (with the apple pencil)

Meh. Generations of doctors got through with just textbooks, printed lecture notes, notebooks, pens and highlighters, and using their brain. The occasional Google and online resource is helpful. But let's face it, an expensive iPad is not going to make you learn any better than pen and paper. Most of the time I give lectures, half the class is behind the laptops or tablets on Facebook or Instagram. Welcome to the age of millenial education.

I have the pro and I would actually recommend the air. You just don't need the extra processing power for what you are going to do with it. The cost is significant enough that I would go with the air if I were to do it again.