MCATKINGS

MCAT Adviser + Planner who runs MCATBROS
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What are your thoughts?? Do you think it's beneficial to have an Ipad for rotations?

Also what are some general tips that you have for a student starting rotations soon?

Moko

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Not in my experience. I got an iPad during residency thinking it would increase my efficiency -- ended up not being that useful for putting in orders or writing notes. I use a cheap $300 laptop now that gets the job done.

OP
MCATKINGS

MCATKINGS

MCAT Adviser + Planner who runs MCATBROS
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
What I notice with my laptop is that the battery life is a good 4 hours. I finally got a 13'' vs a 15'' and I hope that makes a difference. I have found ipads to be basically big iphones that don't really function/take the place of a equally priced laptop - but was wondering if anyone found it to be useful for rotations (to do practice questions, have notes) while not being as bulky looking as an ipad during rounds.

Aug 11, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If you were truly to use it as a "notepad" for notes - could definitely be useful. But, would it look unprofessional carrying around a tablet? People might thing you're like on Facebook or something?

WSTshisan

5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2012
Tampa
Status
Medical Student
For what it's worth, my preceptors recommended we use tablets on rounds for Uptodate/med calc checks. They said it was more professional than using a phone, which unambiguously looks like you're texting.

Reactions: mistafab

LyMed

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Most people I know who bought tablets for rotations just ended up using their laptops or notepad.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't get one. Doesn't provide any functionality over a phone and if you're worried about looking unprofessional, if there's attention on you at all, you can just say "I'm looking up this patient's CHADSVASC score" or whatever and it'll be fine.

I used my phone all the time on rotations, even during rounds, and no one batted an eye.

Reactions: mistafab

JooceMan137

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Apr 14, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I actually wanted to get a smaller tablet that has good pen support for notes. I currently have an Ipad pro 12 inch and an android (Hauwei Mediapad M5 8.4). I can use the apple pencil 2 on my Ipad but it's huge and it would be annoying to carry around on rotations. My Huawei is a nice sized tablet but I can't use a pen on it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get an Ipad mini or an android tablet that supports pen for rotation. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if iOS or Android would be better for rotations in terms of app support and what not.

Last edited:

Spectreman

2+ Year Member
May 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I actually wanted to get a smaller tablet that has good pen support for notes. I currently have an Ipad pro 12 inch and an android (Hauwei Mediapad M5 8.4). I can use the apple pencil 2 on my Ipad but it's huge and it would be annoying to carry around on rotations. My Huawei is a nice sized tablet but I can't use a pen on it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get an Ipad mini or an android tablet that supports pen for rotation. I was wondering if anyone has any idea if iOS or Android would be better for rotations in terms of app support and what not.
I’m thinking about getting an iPad mini for this too. I have a thin MacBook though and it’s got really good battery life and such, but not good for doing stuff while standing so an iPad mini seems like a good choice, maybe it’ll fit in the white coat pocket, can take hand written notes. Let me know what you decide to do.

Reactions: JooceMan137

JooceMan137

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Apr 14, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I’m thinking about getting an iPad mini for this too. I have a thin MacBook though and it’s got really good battery life and such, but not good for doing stuff while standing so an iPad mini seems like a good choice, maybe it’ll fit in the white coat pocket, can take hand written notes. Let me know what you decide to do.
I've looked into it and apparently the ipad mini doesn't take the apple pencil 2. It does take the pencil 1, but I hear it's essentially trash.