Ipad, netbook or new laptop for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the iPad, is the base 16 gb enough to hold all the info (texts, pdf's, powerpoints, ...) needed for med school? I don't need much, if any, space for music.

Also, is WiFi good enough for most medical settings or will I need to go with a cellular connection?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Regarding the iPad, is the base 16 gb enough to hold all the info (texts, pdf's, powerpoints, ...) needed for med school? I don't need much, if any, space for music.

Also, is WiFi good enough for most medical settings or will I need to go with a cellular connection?

WiFi is excellent - I use mine at Sloan-Kettering, NYP-Columbia, NYULMC, and I've never had an issue connecting.

Not sure about the space, I have a 32gb precisely because I know my textbook collection will only expand as I move forward towards a career in medicine.

These are available for the iPad? free?

GoodReader is ~$2.
Papers is ~$10.

Papers may be overpriced unless you're a serious research person and need to track and organize tons of papers. It's also best with the desktop app (another $30 I think).

GoodReader is definitely worth the $2.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've got a 16g and it's starting to fill up fast. However, If you avoid downloading a lot of games and video/music, most textbooks are a few hundred mb's if that and you should be fine.

I've got a 16g and it's starting to fill up fast. However, If you avoid downloading a lot of games and video/music, most textbooks are a few hundred mb's if that and you should be fine.

Some of the newer etextbooks are getting close to 1GB. I'd go for at least the 32 GB, although Apple should really double the storage again considering how quickly RAM prices have dropped.

Most of the non-Apple tablets take SD cards which allow you to expand their memory considerably. If space is a factor, consider those.

You don't need an apple product to read textbooks on a tablet.

Most of the non-Apple tablets take SD cards which allow you to expand their memory considerably. If space is a factor, consider those.

You don't need an apple product to read textbooks on a tablet.

Do not do this.

There are valid reasons to get a non-Apple computer, but no one else has a worthwhile tablet on the market yet.

If you don't want an iPad, you're better off without a tablet and should get a real computer.

The Kindle fire is well-priced for what it is, but isn't really worth it either.

I strongly disagree.

Id chose both the Asus transformer prime and the galaxy over an iPad.

Better to just get a windows slate.

This also worries me :eek

I got the 16GB. I use Evernote and Notability & don't have any music/videos/games. I was wondering how far I could stretch the 16GB once school starts, with powerpoints, PDFs, and ebooks.

I strongly disagree.

Id chose both the Asus transformer prime and the galaxy over an iPad.

Better to just get a windows slate.

iPads are being integrated most quickly into hospital settings with some hospitals giving their residents iPads to use. Integration matters A LOT in a hospital considering most EMRs suck as is. You might find that anything besides an iPad isn't very much help once you get out into the field.

For class, I'd agree it doesn't matter at all as long as you can get everything to work.

Integration does matter. How much, I'll have to see. Aparently it depends on the institution. If some will give you an iPad, why bother buying one? Besides, I spend more time looking for Mac compatible programs for the office than I do for windows.

What will always matter is how much computer you get for your dollar. In this case, how much disk space. You'll get more for your money of any other fruit, but Apple. And many are sweeter with more vitamins and minerals.

Integration does matter. How much, I'll have to see. Aparently it depends on the institution. If some will give you an iPad, why bother buying one? Besides, I spend more time looking for Mac compatible programs for the office than I do for windows.

What will always matter is how much computer you get for your dollar. In this case, how much disk space. You'll get more for your money of any other fruit, but Apple. And many are sweeter with more vitamins and minerals.

Software matters as much as hardware at this point, and frankly Apple has cornered the market on enough of the supplies required to build a decent tablet that the iPad is actually reasonably priced.

No one else is offering an equivalent machine at the $499 price point.

Software matters as much as hardware at this point, and frankly Apple has cornered the market on enough of the supplies required to build a decent tablet that the iPad is actually reasonably priced.

?

I think Apple just has more software developers in the tablet market and a moderately better OS. Hardware-wise, there are plenty of quality tablets out there. Rumor has it that Microsoft will soon be venturing into the hardware business. There is no cornering a hardware market, many companies build excellent hardware. Even the iPhone is about to run into trouble with all the new androids.

Members don't see this ad :)

???

Supplies? I'm not even sure what that means.

Direct hardware comparisons show ipads to be overpriced.

There are more apps for ipads it's true, but there are PLENTY of similar/same apps for androids as well. I wouldn't consider that an issue when deciding upon a tablet.

If you're willing to pay a premium for the branding or you think there's intrinsic value to being a part of the "apple network" then an ipad is fine choice.

Personally, I prefer functionality and the ability of the user to upgrade their device.

???

There are more apps for ipads it's true, but there are PLENTY of similar/same apps for androids as well. I wouldn't consider that an issue when deciding upon a tablet.

If you're willing to pay a premium for the branding or you think there's intrinsic value to being a part of the "apple network" then an ipad is fine choice.

Personally, I prefer functionality and the ability of the user to upgrade their device.

Supplies = RAM, capacitive screens, etc etc. Apple has been buying these things in bulk so they get better deals (and in some cases causes shortages for other device manufacturers).

Is anyone besides Amazon even trying to compete at the $499 price point? With the new resolution for the latest iPad, the competition isn't even fair.

This isn't me being an Apple fanboy - if you don't want an iPad, the other tablet options really aren't good choices, go for a full laptop.

Supplies = RAM, capacitive screens, etc etc. Apple has been buying these things in bulk so they get better deals (and in some cases causes shortages for other device manufacturers).

Is anyone besides Amazon even trying to compete at the $499 price point? With the new resolution for the latest iPad, the competition isn't even fair.

This isn't me being an Apple fanboy - if you don't want an iPad, the other tablet options really aren't good choices, go for a full laptop.

Again I am confused. All tablets have capacitance screens. Many tablets even have screens capable of registering digitizer pens. Many tablets have more RAM, higher resolution, IPS screens, expandable disk space, better cameras, etc.. than a ipad. Where are you shopping?

I don't think your argument holds water. What Apple does well is: battery life, built-in software to manage their devices, and marketing.
However, many other companies are making quality comparable software and batteries these days and at cheaper prices with a more expandable machine.

Again I am confused. All tablets have capacitance screens. Many tablets even have screens capable of registering digitizer pens. Many tablets have more RAM, higher resolution, IPS screens, expandable disk space, better cameras, etc.. than a ipad. Where are you shopping?

I don't think your argument holds water. What Apple does well is: battery life, built-in software to manage their devices, and marketing.
However, many other companies are making quality comparable software and batteries these days and at cheaper prices with a more expandable machine.

Software needs support to be useful though. And no, I don't mean the Genius Bar. I mean consistent upgrades and compatibility.

Android is good, but is fractured by the various device manufacturers who add stupid restrictions and limit upgrades. It also doesn't have a great tablet OS yet.

Windows is probably at least one generation away from having a good tablet OS (since they didn't even acknowledge the need for tablet specific features until recently).

Other companies keep creating tablets and abandoning them, Apple's the only company to get a working formula out there so far.

Software needs support to be useful though. And no, I don't mean the Genius Bar. I mean consistent upgrades and compatibility.

Android is good, but is fractured by the various device manufacturers who add stupid restrictions and limit upgrades. It also doesn't have a great tablet OS yet.

Windows is probably at least one generation away from having a good tablet OS (since they didn't even acknowledge the need for tablet specific features until recently).

Other companies keep creating tablets and abandoning them, Apple's the only company to get a working formula out there so far.

Asus Transformer Prime

Samsung Galaxy

Both are great machines. In my opinion better than Ipads. Especially the Asus.

You're correct about windows machines. I can't wait for windows 8 and the birth of tablet/ultrabooks.

I'm also looking forward to what Google does with Motorolla.

???

I don't think JDrama knows what he is talking about. Apple has never given market best prices for hardware, if anything you're paying an Apple premium for their hardware.

Asus Transformer Prime

Samsung Galaxy

Both are great machines. In my opinion better than Ipads. Especially the Asus.

You're correct about windows machines. I can't wait for windows 8 and the birth of tablet/ultrabooks.

I'm also looking forward to what Google does with Motorolla.

I wouldn't say they are better but they are definitely competitive in terms of hardware.

I don't think JDrama knows what he is talking about. Apple has never given market best prices for hardware, if anything you're paying an Apple premium for their hardware.

I wouldn't say they are better but they are definitely competitive in terms of hardware.

I do know what I'm talking about, although I haven't been paying close attention to the tablet market over the past year.

Apple actually has been pricing iPads below what other manufacturers could match. It is unusual for them, but it's because they have such a corner on various supplies, build chips in house, etc etc.

This article is a bit over a year old, but the same general points are still valid.

http://gizmodo.com/5764680/why-nobody-can-match-the-ipads-price

I feel incredibly indecisive about my notetaking/laptop set up for medical school, but I've got it down to one or the other of these (letting me use OneNote through MS1/2). I'm a former engineer, entering medical school this fall. I've had an HP Compaq business notebook for the past 6 years, and I've loved the build quality of this thing (surprising for an HP, I know!). So here's my dilemma:

1) Pick up a Lenovo x230T 12.5" convertible tablet for roughly $1,050 with discount. I'm afraid that 12.5" will be too little screen real estate to work with; in which case, I can pick up one or two external monitors for $100-200.

Pros:
7+ hours of battery life
Plenty powerful to last 4 years
I can digitally write notes into it as a slate.
Plenty light (3.5 lbs)

Cons:
12.5" screen.
I really don't know if a pen input is a practical way to take notes in med school, but know I'd wished I'd had the ability for my engineering undergrad (writing equations and sketching out scenarios, etc.).

Total cost: $1,250

OR

2) Pick up a "thin and light" business notebook - I'm particularly interested in the Lenovo X1 Carbon because it's 14" of screen real estate, sufficiently light and powerful... and it looks really really cool for a Lenovo. Since this wouldn't necessarily allow a pen input, I could add one of these (Bald Technologies PT' Pen for $100) to take pen notes as necessary.

Pros:
14" screen is perfect in my mind
3 lbs
Supposedly ~7 hour battery life
Beautiful

Cons:
Can't be used like a slate, even with the PT pen.
Won't be released until early July, maybe August.

Total Cost: Probably $1300

Really, the big question is: is it useful (or strongly helpful) to be able to take notes with a digital pen in medical school?

Thanks!

I do know what I'm talking about, although I haven't been paying close attention to the tablet market over the past year.

Apple actually has been pricing iPads below what other manufacturers could match. It is unusual for them, but it's because they have such a corner on various supplies, build chips in house, etc etc.

This article is a bit over a year old, but the same general points are still valid.

http://gizmodo.com/5764680/why-nobody-can-match-the-ipads-price

I'm sure this was a factor a year ago. But Tablets are now big business and everyone is getting in on them. Even Microsoft, who hasn't ever built hardware is expected to be entering this market soon.

That article references Samsung's tablets @ $800, well Samsung has a $399 tablet that offers similar specs to Apple's entry level iPad. One year is a long time in tech land. Apple realizes they aren't going to keep their market share by giving away hardware, while others are grabbing market share with low prices. I know Amazon's Kindle Fire isn't truly an iPad competitor, but that little device sells for $200. Unbelievable price for a decent tablet. Apple is no longer a price point leader.

I'm sure this was a factor a year ago. But Tablets are now big business and everyone is getting in on them. Even Microsoft, who hasn't ever built hardware is expected to be entering this market soon.

That article references Samsung's tablets @ $800, well Samsung has a $399 tablet that offers similar specs to Apple's entry level iPad. One year is a long time in tech land. Apple realizes they aren't going to keep their market share by giving away hardware, while others are grabbing market share with low prices. I know Amazon's Kindle Fire isn't truly an iPad competitor, but that little device sells for $200. Unbelievable price for a decent tablet. Apple is no longer a price point leader.

Yes, but you said Apple was never a price point leader, which is clearly false.

Perhaps the market has become more competitive since that article, but it doesn't seem like there have even any revolutionary leaps on the side of the competition.

And has anyone created a tablet with a comparable screen at that price point yet? I highly doubt it.

Notability on the iPad combined with a stylus is pretty nice. I used it at the end of MS2 and it basically replaced the giant binders I was carrying around.

But to answer the OP's question, definitely get a laptop. Preferably something with a good screen, as you will be looking at it a LOT! Our school made us buy these overpriced HP ****boxes with 1366x768 resolution, and you can see the giant pixels. Gives you eye strain after a while, plus you can't really put two documents side by side i.e. PDF next to a Word Doc when doing research.

+1 on the Lenovo X series tablets. I've been using my since the X40 days (seven years ago) and it's still kicking. I just bought a new X220 Tablet over Memorial Day weekend with a SSD and the Ultrabase for home use. They're expensive, but they'll last you all four years of med school and beyond. Plus you can't beat OneNote.

apple-resistance-is-futile-1440x900.jpg

Any med students use Evernote? How does it compare to OneNote? I know each one has its strengths and weaknesses, just wondering if OneNote is worth the money. I don't have OneNote on my computer, so I wouldn't be able to sync like I've been doing with Evernote.

Microsoft Surface.

Just saw that. Haven't seen it in person, but the kickstand looks kinda wimpy, like it could break easily.

Any med students use Evernote? How does it compare to OneNote? I know each one has its strengths and weaknesses, just wondering if OneNote is worth the money. I don't have OneNote on my computer, so I wouldn't be able to sync like I've been doing with Evernote.

If you haven't upgraded to Office 2010 yet, then this is a great deal you'd be hard-pressed to pass up:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/university/

It actually also comes with Access and Publisher in addition to what's promoted there...

Just saw that. Haven't seen it in person, but the kickstand looks kinda wimpy, like it could break easily.

Evernote is great, but you should actually pay them so they don't disappear for lack of a business model.

Dropbox too.

OneNote. Is. Awesome. I've been using it for four years on a tablet PC. Disclosure - never used Evernote on a computer, and it annoyed me a bit on my Android phone.

Also check with your school before you buy. I just found out that my school gives us Office 2010 for free.

For anyone looking looking for an X220/230, keep an eye on slickdeals.net. Starting prices on those machines were under $900 just a few weeks ago. Not sure if the deal will return.

If you haven't upgraded to Office 2010 yet, then this is a great deal you'd be hard-pressed to pass up:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/university/

It actually also comes with Access and Publisher in addition to what's promoted there...

Evernote is great, but you should actually pay them so they don't disappear for lack of a business model.

Dropbox too.

OneNote. Is. Awesome. I've been using it for four years on a tablet PC. Disclosure - never used Evernote on a computer, and it annoyed me a bit on my Android phone.

Also check with your school before you buy. I just found out that my school gives us Office 2010 for free.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know OneNote was included with Office 2010 (all I saw was the standalone price when I looked it up). I still have 2008, but I can get 2010 for free from my school. Sweet! :)

I'm not too sure about Evernote yet. It seems (at least for me) that you'd need to buy the $5/month subscription or $45/year for it to be truly useful. The biggest point, at least IMO, is being able to upload all your lecture note files into one place and make them searchable (only available on Evernote's premium service).

As for right now, I'm using an iPad 2 with Notability/Dropbox and a Wacom stylus. Works well for me. IAnnotate is also good for annotating large PDF files (think textbooks).

I'm not too sure about Evernote yet. It seems (at least for me) that you'd need to buy the $5/month subscription or $45/year for it to be truly useful. The biggest point, at least IMO, is being able to upload all your lecture note files into one place and make them searchable (only available on Evernote's premium service).

As for right now, I'm using an iPad 2 with Notability/Dropbox and a Wacom stylus. Works well for me. IAnnotate is also good for annotating large PDF files (think textbooks).

I didn't realize digitizers worked on the ipad.

I thought only those fat, capacitance stubby sticks worked. No?

edit: Nevermind. You can only use those fat capacitance sticks.

Laptop. Just use powerpoint as your notetaking software. Using the software the lectures were created in has its advantages. You can circle stuff, write notes at the bottom, create a text box, highlight, etc.. with clicks, or even hotkeys. It's the best.