• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
Jun 12, 2009
Status
For those of you using ipads heavily for your studies, which size do find to be adequate. Is 16gb enough or do the textbooks take up enough space to warrant the 32 or 64?

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Upgrades in memory for the iPad are considerably more expensive than an external memory device. Heck, I can go to Walmart and buy a 16gb flash drive for $25. Keep the iPad light by storing as little as possible on it and then transfer your cumulative junk to an external device. You'll save a bunch of money and your iPad will run faster.

About the Ads
Sep 8, 2010
Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
For those of you using ipads heavily for your studies, which size do find to be adequate. Is 16gb enough or do the textbooks take up enough space to warrant the 32 or 64?
It depends on what you want to do with it- I think 16GB fills up quickly if you like apps and want to keep photos and music on it. 32GB is a safer bet, in my opinion, although if you're using it only for school the PDFs of textbooks take up practically no space. Especially if you keep them on a Dropbox account and only open them when you need them :)

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Remember that, with overhead, the medium-sized SSD is a better investment. The largest one IS faster, but it's also heavier and you get taxed twice by the Apple price premium.

Consider a 16-32GB flash drive and/or a 2.5" (very important) portable hard drive in the 500-750GB range. You could even store movies on it :cool:

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It is pertinent to mention that there is no direct link between external storage and an iPad, a computer must be used as the middle man and it's not exactly as intuitive as with some of the other tablets. If you are in constant wifi, a dropbox account is about the only way to add external storage to an iPad/iPhone, and it is actually quite seamless.

Sheldor

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It is pertinent to mention that there is no direct link between external storage and an iPad, a computer must be used as the middle man and it's not exactly as intuitive as with some of the other tablets. If you are in constant wifi, a dropbox account is about the only way to add external storage to an iPad/iPhone, and it is actually quite seamless.
As an addendum to this if you jailbreak the iPad and purchase the USB camera connection you can bypass the computer and access he external hard drive.

About the Ads