1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

iPad size

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by dexs, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dexs

2+ Year Member

For those of you using ipads heavily for your studies, which size do find to be adequate. Is 16gb enough or do the textbooks take up enough space to warrant the 32 or 64?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Upgrades in memory for the iPad are considerably more expensive than an external memory device. Heck, I can go to Walmart and buy a 16gb flash drive for $25. Keep the iPad light by storing as little as possible on it and then transfer your cumulative junk to an external device. You'll save a bunch of money and your iPad will run faster.

4. Sheldor

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    16 is more than enough for school related activities!

5. Fleur de Me

Medical Student
    It depends on what you want to do with it- I think 16GB fills up quickly if you like apps and want to keep photos and music on it. 32GB is a safer bet, in my opinion, although if you're using it only for school the PDFs of textbooks take up practically no space. Especially if you keep them on a Dropbox account and only open them when you need them :)

6. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Remember that, with overhead, the medium-sized SSD is a better investment. The largest one IS faster, but it's also heavier and you get taxed twice by the Apple price premium.

Consider a 16-32GB flash drive and/or a 2.5" (very important) portable hard drive in the 500-750GB range. You could even store movies on it :cool:

7. FiremedicMike

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is pertinent to mention that there is no direct link between external storage and an iPad, a computer must be used as the middle man and it's not exactly as intuitive as with some of the other tablets. If you are in constant wifi, a dropbox account is about the only way to add external storage to an iPad/iPhone, and it is actually quite seamless.

8. Sheldor

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As an addendum to this if you jailbreak the iPad and purchase the USB camera connection you can bypass the computer and access he external hard drive.