Technology iPhone 4: worth switching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

I'm currently using a Pre on Sprint and am paying under $80/month, taxes/fees included, for unlimited:

- M2M, any carrier in the US;
- N/W, starting at 7pm;
- Data and text;
- Navigation.

Thinking about switching over to AT&T for the iPhone 4, but it seems that I'd be paying $86 before taxes/fees for about the same thing, with N/W starting at 9pm (and "limited" at 5,000 minutes), and with M2M including only AT&T subscribers.

For those who have used either phone: is it really worth bothering?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't switch to AT&T even if it was free.

Verizon is very likely to get the iPhone in January. You held out this long, I'd hold out just a little while longer.

Verizon is very likely to get the iPhone in January. You held out this long, I'd hold out just a little while longer.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's just that AT&T in my neck of the woods works well, as far as I can tell -- and if Verizon gets the iPhone, that's no guarantee that Sprint will get the phone. And Sprint is notoriously firm on its stance of "if it's not our phone, we won't activate your non-Sprint CDMA phone", so that option's out.

BD, I thought you were an iPhone user, no?

Members don't see this ad :)

I would get the device that most meets your needs in terms of usability, reception, available applications, etc. The iPhone OS has a greater amount of support from developers than the web OS platform that the pre
Runs. However if reception is the issue and you can't get a good network signal what is the point in getting the iPhone? If you want the benefits of having the iPhone but don't want to have to use the AT&T network get an ipod touch. I'll say this about the iPhone 4 though Facetime is awesome

Now about verizon getting the iPhone in january I'd say that isn't going to happen. There have been rumors about verizon getting the iphone for years, almost as long as there has been an iPhone but none of those rumors have panned out. Will the iphone be released for verizon, maybe, but this January probably not. If apple releases the iphone for verizon they will wait until the LTE network is up and running and a statement by the Verizon CEO last week made it seem like this was the case.

Verizon had the chance to get the iPhone before AT&T but they blew it and Apple went to AT&T. I personally would like to see the iPhone on more than one network because that might help lower the prices for a service plan, however, since the wireless communication companies run an oligopoly I doubt that would ever happen.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's just that AT&T in my neck of the woods works well, as far as I can tell

Great. Don't plan on going anywhere, though.

BD, I thought you were an iPhone user, no?

No, Palm Pre Plus (Verizon). I also have a iPad.

Hold out no matter what. We're already a quarter of the way into this product cycle, might as well wait for the iPhone 5 so you can get maximum value if/when you switch.

Oh I love it... I've never really had problems using the beta versions of iOS and this is no exception. I wish I had the cash to afford an Apple TV though, that would be sweet

I'm looking forward to having iOS4's pseudo-multitasking on my iPad, as well.

Apple TV is $99 now, FWIW.

just jailbreak and get true multitasking!

AT&T isnt bad with my area either, but any major metropolitan area scuh as Dallas I get crap for service.

Wish T-Mobile would get the iPhone 4, they were awesome.

Why does T-mobile need the iPhone 4? Just get a Nexus One or G2.

I have Nexus One on T-mobile and I get unlimited 3G data, unlimited texts, and limited voice minutes (500/mo I think) with unlimited N/W for $68/mo including taxes.

I have Nexus One on T-mobile and I get unlimited 3G data, unlimited texts, and limited voice minutes (500/mo I think) with unlimited N/W for $68/mo including taxes.
Because some individuals think that the iPhone 4 provides a better user experience than the nexus one or G2.

It's a personal preference thing where some individuals prefer one phone over another just like they prefer one carrier over another. Phlame thinks that the TMobile/iPhone combo is better than the Nexus one or G2, nothing wrong with that.

I find the Android UI annoying/ugly, and I'm sure many others do, too. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I largely pick my gadgets based on how pretty and user-friendly they are.

The two aren't interchangeable, and some people want the same things I look for in a gadget, just not on AT&T's network.

I've been using a jailbroken and unlocked iphone 3gs for the last 6 months on T-mobile. (Family plan, unlimited minutes with data for 2 lines : 125$ tax included). I didn't want to switch At&T as I was ok with T-mobile, but still wanted an iphone.

You can also get a FACTORY unlocked iphone but that'd cost you significantly more (outside the US, it is illegal to lock a phone to a specific carrier).

On a side note, I really wanted to like the android phones out there, but the iphone was miles better. Just had to jailbreak it first to unlock its potential.

edit: you can only get 2.75g (edge) speed using an iphone on T-mobile, but speed's still ok unless you're downloading huge chunks of data which you're better off doing on Wifi anyway. And btw, t-mobile customer service supports iphone.

I'm currently using a Pre on Sprint and am paying under $80/month, taxes/fees included, for unlimited:

- M2M, any carrier in the US;
- N/W, starting at 7pm;
- Data and text;
- Navigation.

Thinking about switching over to AT&T for the iPhone 4, but it seems that I'd be paying $86 before taxes/fees for about the same thing, with N/W starting at 9pm (and "limited" at 5,000 minutes), and with M2M including only AT&T subscribers.

For those who have used either phone: is it really worth bothering?

Anyone with an iPhone 4 having scratching issues? My friend's phone cracked on the back within about 3 weeks of his owning it. Not sure if he took it back to Apple or not.

I've been an AT&T customer for close to 10 years and have always liked their service until I got an iPhone. Since owning an iPhone I have found AT&T to be absolutely horrific. Half the time in a 3G area I can't get access to the internet, I drop calls all the time and Customer Service can do nothing for you. I live in a major metropolitan area that supposedly has excellent coverage. I would wait for the iPhone for Verizon.

edit: you can only get 2.75g (edge) speed using an iphone on T-mobile, but speed's still ok unless you're downloading huge chunks of data which you're better off doing on Wifi anyway. And btw, t-mobile customer service supports iphone.

T-Mobile's Edge data network SUCKS in many areas. I don't even bother trying to use data in Philadelphia with Edge. If I'm not expecting any calls I often turn the phone to 3G only as a zero to one bar 3G connection is far better than a 5 bar Edge connection. I know people with jailbroken Iphones there who hate it. I travel a lot and T-Mobile Edge internet speeds are very hit or miss, but mostly a miss. It's night and day between T-mobile's edge and 3G though and the 3G is nice where it works (most metro areas).

Thus, I would not recommend doing a jailbroken IPhone or any other unlocked phone on T-Mobile unless you know you can get 3G (NOT IPhone) or know you live in a decent Edge area for T-Mobile.

I travel so much that I only use unlocked quad band GSM/Sim card phones that I can use internationally--another reason why I love the Nexus One since I can use it anywhere in the world (hit or miss with 3G of course). But you may not have this issue.

PS: Posted while tethered to my laptop and simultaneously waiting on hold with Comcast trying to fix someone else's cable modem.