Technology iPhone rumors for the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, a bunch of news articles have popped up in the last day or two. In no particular order:

• New, 1 Ghz processor - maybe the same A4 processor that powers the iPad
  • Higher screen resolution of 960x640
  • Front-facing camera
  • 3rd party software multi-tasking
  • Coming to Verizon this summer

Any thoughts? Most of these seem pretty sensible and kinda tame. With the new iPhone SDK supporting multiple resolutions and lots of new phones having higher resolutions, I kinda thought the resolution would go up.

Any thoughts on if/when some of these features will get into the iPod Touch?

Members don't see this ad.

The "3rd party software multi-tasking" sounds completely unrealistic. There's no way Apple would approve an App like that. If they wanted to allow multitasking they could do so easily since the kernel already has that function, but they choose to leave it disabled in order to extend battery life.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "3rd party software multi-tasking" sounds completely unrealistic. There's no way Apple would approve an App like that. If they wanted to allow multitasking they could do so easily since the kernel already has that function, but they choose to leave it disabled in order to extend battery life.

I'm not sure what you mean by an app for multi-tasking. I basically meant what I think you're saying, i.e. Apple will allow you to run two different apps simultaneously.

I wish. Unfortunately, there seem to be rumors to the contrary, as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...hone_seen_as_unlikely_from_apple_in_2010.html

I read that too! I guess only time will tell. They wouldn't be rumors if they weren't contradictory, right? :)

Yeah, but you're assuming that Apple doesn't actively withhold features from current models in order to maximize consumer impact of future "releases," which they *clearly* do whenever they get the chance.

I wish. Unfortunately, there seem to be rumors to the contrary, as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...hone_seen_as_unlikely_from_apple_in_2010.html

I feel like most of the "anti" rumors are released from companies that stand to lose from the news that Verizon might be getting an iPhone.

A few months before Verizon announced getting the Pre there was all sorts of news articles circulating about how Verizon officially was no longer interested in carrying it due to low sales from Sprint. Who else would release rumors like that other than Sprint (who would lose a lot of another carrier picked up the phone) or people who wanted to see Palm go down?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10603148/1/exclusive-palm-pres-arrival-at-verizon-shelved.html

This one obviously turned out to be untrue.

I feel like most of the "anti" rumors are released from companies that stand to lose from the news that Verizon might be getting an iPhone.

A few months before Verizon announced getting the Pre there was all sorts of news articles circulating about how Verizon officially was no longer interested in carrying it due to low sales from Sprint. Who else would release rumors like that other than Sprint (who would lose a lot of another carrier picked up the phone) or people who wanted to see Palm go down?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10603148/1/exclusive-palm-pres-arrival-at-verizon-shelved.html

This one obviously turned out to be untrue.

For all we know, Apple is feeding the anti-Verizon rumor mill in order to avoid hurting AT&T iPhone sales.

the only thing holding me from getting one is ATT. I live in a semirural area and Verizon is the only reliable signal around here.