IR/DR Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2018IRDOC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you that applied to both DR and IR-integrated programs, did you write two separate personal statements? I.e. did you use the same personal statement for DR and integrated IR residencies at Program X or were they different? Also, if you applied to DR programs that didn't have integrated IR programs, how much emphasis did you put on wanting to be an IR?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.

I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.

To be fair you should probably have a separate personal statement. IR and DR cannot be anymore different.

Also, to be pendantic, but just because you ranked intergrated IR below where you ended up doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it. I ranked places like Miami Vascular below my matched fellowship and I have no illusions I woulda get there.