• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
Mar 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Those of you that applied to both DR and IR-integrated programs, did you write two separate personal statements? I.e. did you use the same personal statement for DR and integrated IR residencies at Program X or were they different? Also, if you applied to DR programs that didn't have integrated IR programs, how much emphasis did you put on wanting to be an IR?

Thanks!

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.

DrfluffyMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.

To be fair you should probably have a separate personal statement. IR and DR cannot be anymore different.

Also, to be pendantic, but just because you ranked intergrated IR below where you ended up doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it. I ranked places like Miami Vascular below my matched fellowship and I have no illusions I woulda get there.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.