Mar 27, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Those of you that applied to both DR and IR-integrated programs, did you write two separate personal statements? I.e. did you use the same personal statement for DR and integrated IR residencies at Program X or were they different? Also, if you applied to DR programs that didn't have integrated IR programs, how much emphasis did you put on wanting to be an IR?

Thanks!

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.

DrfluffyMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I used the same statement for IR, DR, and prelim-surgery. I matched DR-only, but that was partly due to my ranking preferences. I interviewed IR/DR at every place that invited me for DR.
To be fair you should probably have a separate personal statement. IR and DR cannot be anymore different.

Also, to be pendantic, but just because you ranked intergrated IR below where you ended up doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it. I ranked places like Miami Vascular below my matched fellowship and I have no illusions I woulda get there.

About the Ads