Ireland and UK Vet School c/o 2024 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi friends, I don't think this has been started yet so I figured I put this out there. I'm only applying to University College Dublin, maybe I'll see some of ya come next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone applying! I’m a final year at Dublin- let me know if you have any questions about the program / Dublin in general :):luck:

Good luck to everyone applying! I’m a final year at Dublin- let me know if you have any questions about the program / Dublin in general :):luck:

Thanks for reaching out! The description for the programme on VMCAS seems to allude to a requirement for students to complete extra-mural studies outside of the courses that make up the programme. I couldn't find more info about this so I wanted to ask how that worked. Would these take place during holidays/ summer? What exactly would these activities encompass? Right now, I work very closely with some of the faculty at OVC (Guelph vet school) and if I end up going to Ireland, I would ideally like to be able to return over the summer/holidays to continue working on their projects but I'm not sure if that would be possible with the extra-mural activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
@isocitratedehydrogenase - Yes, you have to complete both pre-clinical (EMS) and clinical (CEMS) placements. If you have prior animal handling experience, you should be able to get exemptions for the pre-clinical EMS, which would be completed during first year- spring of second year. This involves things like spending 2 weeks at a farm helping with calving or lambing. I was able to get all of my pre-clinical placements done during the spring, and had my whole first summer free.

Clinical EMS will def take up summer & other breaks though. It’s really just doing loads of externships, and can include a summer research project if you’re interested in that (I did one, was a great experience!). You’re required to spend a certain amount of time doing smalls, mixed, equine, etc.

Hi friends, I don't think this has been started yet so I figured I put this out there. I'm only applying to University College Dublin, maybe I'll see some of ya come next year?
One of my first choice's! I applied this cycle too :)

How do residence assignments work in first year? I've heard that all international students generally get placed in the same building? Do vet students get placed together?

I didn’t ever live in the on-campus accommodation (I’ve rented off campus all 4 years), but I’d say most of our grad class lived on-campus first year. From what I understand you get to pick which hall you want (I think most of the vets live in Glenomena), then which apartment- so ye’d talk on the class FB page & figure out who’s living with who there.

@isocitratedehydrogenase - Yes, you have to complete both pre-clinical (EMS) and clinical (CEMS) placements. If you have prior animal handling experience, you should be able to get exemptions for the pre-clinical EMS, which would be completed during first year- spring of second year. This involves things like spending 2 weeks at a farm helping with calving or lambing. I was able to get all of my pre-clinical placements done during the spring, and had my whole first summer free.

Clinical EMS will def take up summer & other breaks though. It’s really just doing loads of externships, and can include a summer research project if you’re interested in that (I did one, was a great experience!). You’re required to spend a certain amount of time doing smalls, mixed, equine, etc.

Thanks for the insight, its really helpful!

One of my first choice's! I applied this cycle too :)

Honestly it would be so cool to go to Dublin. I'm in a folk and trad band rn (mostly Irish music but we dabble in Scottish and Canadian folk as well) and I'm in LOVE with the music scene at UCD

Honestly it would be so cool to go to Dublin. I'm in a folk and trad band rn (mostly Irish music but we dabble in Scottish and Canadian folk as well) and I'm in LOVE with the music scene at UCD
I haven't even looked into anything specific at Dublin that I'm interested in joining but just the country, the campus it's all so appealing to me!

The supplemental application for UCD is now open on their website! Has anyone here had a chance to look at it? I'm a little bit confused on which information needs to be entered.

The supplemental application for UCD is now open on their website! Has anyone here had a chance to look at it? I'm a little bit confused on which information needs to be entered.

I just answered everything as best I could, and as per the VMCAS instructions, I didn't upload any documents. For the essay part where they asked me to upload a document if my essay exceeded 300 words, I just wrote "My essay is attached to my VMCAS application" in the text box.

Okay perfect, this is exactly what I was confused about! So you didn't upload any of the transcripts/high school transcripts or "additional documents" correct?
Also, for the "prior college" section, what did you put for your "result/expected result". Are they asking for expected final GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I followed the instructions and didn't upload a single document LOL

I just put down "Graduation" for results honestly there's no possibility they'd disqualify an applicant for something so trivial as that, so if they have questions or want clarification, I'm sure the admissions committee will reach out.

Has anyone heard anything from University of College Dublin yet? I filled out everything on their supplemental application and did the same things that were mention in the above thread but my application says incomplete because I didn't upload any additional documents. Anyone else having this issue?

Has anyone heard anything from University of College Dublin yet? I filled out everything on their supplemental application and did the same things that were mention in the above thread but my application says incomplete because I didn't upload any additional documents. Anyone else having this issue?

@kat27 didn't you mention you were also seeing this?

@kat27 didn't you mention you were also seeing this?

Yup! Mine says the same thing because I didn't upload additional documents. It also states for all the other categories that they've received my information through VMCAS on Oct. 24th!

Anyone else going through an obsession with checking their email everyday? UCD said they'd get back to us about interviews in the beginning of December and I'm going insane!!!
Also surprised that there's not very many others on SDN that seem to be applying to UCD this cycle. This thread is super inactive this year lol, or is it just me?

I am also going crazy! I have an interview with Edinburgh in Feb but I am really hoping for Dublin.

Reactions: 1 users
Got interview for Dublin this morning!!!! January 10th in NY! anyone else?!

Got interview for Dublin this morning!!!! January 10th in NY! anyone else?!
Wow congrats on the interview! Still waiting to hear from them.
Did they give you any other important info in the email?

Last edited:
I'm jealous Congrats to everyone who got interviews so far!

Reactions: 2 users
Wow congrats on the interview! Still waiting to hear from them.
Did they give you any other important info in the email?
Thank you!! Yes, there’s two documents: one with the invitation, date, and information on location, the second is an invite to their Jan 7 information session on the university which will be at the Irish Consulate in NY. Am traveling from Puerto Rico, and I work, so I doubt I’ll be able to arrive so early cause of low $$. But would’ve loved to see the Irish consulate!! and the invite is for the 4 year program. I am on the lower grade spectrum, under 3.2! So I was surprised. But I believe my essays are good. I got interviewed at Glasgow, and I did so terrible lol, got rejected. If anyone has absolutely any good tips, I’ll appreciate it. I’m an oversharer when I get nervous lol.

Thank you!! Yes, there’s two documents: one with the invitation, date, and information on location, the second is an invite to their Jan 7 information session on the university which will be at the Irish Consulate in NY. Am traveling from Puerto Rico, and I work, so I doubt I’ll be able to arrive so early cause of low $$. But would’ve loved to see the Irish consulate!! and the invite is for the 4 year program. I am on the lower grade spectrum, under 3.2! So I was surprised. But I believe my essays are good. I got interviewed at Glasgow, and I did so terrible lol, got rejected. If anyone has absolutely any good tips, I’ll appreciate it. I’m an oversharer when I get nervous lol.
If it makes you feel better I also got rejected from Glasgow this cycle after a terrible interview. I was so nervous and I didn't explain myself well at all! So you're not alone with that. I've read from previous years threads about UCD that they usually only interview those who are missing a requirement or fall below the preferred GPA. And they usually consider you for the 5 year program instead if they feel that may be better for you!
I've also heard the interview is super casual, similar to Glasgow, so if you can think of where you fell short during that interview, try to improve that and practice for Dublin!

Just got an interview for January 8th in NY. One of my best friends goes to Dublin so it would be incredible to get in!

Where are you all applying from? Is UCD your top choice?

I'm a New Yorker, born and bred! And its up there because my friend absolutely loves it there! I think my number one will depend on price in the end haha

Oh wow that interview location must be super convenient for you then!
What kind of stuff has your friend said about UCD, are they in their first year there right now? Would love other peoples input about it!

It is lol I just have to take the 2 train into the city. $2.75 compared to the 800 I had to pay to get to my last interview.
And she is a 2nd year and says its a work hard play hard kind of place. She studies a good amount but also does extracurriculars like trampoline. She also loves the night scene out there lol

It is lol I just have to take the 2 train into the city. $2.75 compared to the 800 I had to pay to get to my last interview.
And she is a 2nd year and says its a work hard play hard kind of place. She studies a good amount but also does extracurriculars like trampoline. She also loves the night scene out there lol
$800? :O Where was your last interview omg!
And its good to hear that your friend is having a great time out there!

It was at LMU. With the airfare, hotel and rental it was just about 800. Crazy, but worth it.

Has anyone else not heard anything from University College Dublin? I applied this year with very strong academics and reasonably good experiences so I'm quite confused by the fact that the school hasn't contacted me at all (i.e no rejection, interview invite or acceptance)

Congrats!!!! Did you apply to the 4 year program?
yes! and I'm from New Jersey! It's probably my last choice if I'm being honest. I have my Irish citizenship, though, so I applied because it's cheaper.

I am also in the same boat with those that haven't heard back from UCD. So far I have been accepted to Glasgow and flat out rejected from Edinburgh which surprised me. However I was competing against two other people who applied from my same school as well. I have a fairly strong GPA and lots of vet experience/farm experience so obviously all results are subjective.

Reactions: 2 users
I am also in the same boat with those that haven't heard back from UCD. So far I have been accepted to Glasgow and flat out rejected from Edinburgh which surprised me. However I was competing against two other people who applied from my same school as well. I have a fairly strong GPA and lots of vet experience/farm experience so obviously all results are subjective.
Congrats on Glasgow! I guess the rest of us just have to wait a bit longer to hear from UCD. They do work on a rolling admission basis!

Just got an acceptance for UCD for grad entry level!

Reactions: 8 users
yes! and I'm from New Jersey! It's probably my last choice if I'm being honest. I have my Irish citizenship, though, so I applied because it's cheaper.
technically I am an Irish citizen too but we don't get a cheaper tuition rate, a stipulation of theirs is that you have to have been an irish resident for about 5 years or something like that to receive a cheaper rate

Thank goodness I found this thread! It seems like it's impossible to find answers on anything for UCD lol. I'm from NY, residing in NJ and I have my interview on the 8th in January!!

Thank goodness I found this thread! It seems like it's impossible to find answers on anything for UCD lol. I'm from NY, residing in NJ and I have my interview on the 8th in January!!
Did you happen to get a response back when they asked you to confirm your interview?

Did you happen to get a response back when they asked you to confirm your interview?
Yeah they thanked me for responding and confirming and then asked me my guests info for the info session

I'm a New Yorker, born and bred! And its up there because my friend absolutely loves it there! I think my number one will depend on price in the end haha
When is your interview time?

Its at 5pm! Feel free to PM me if you wanted to meet up beforehand!

Anybody else interviewing for Edinburgh in Feb? I still havent heard a peep from Dublin. Which is is soo frustrating. I need closure

Anybody else interviewing for Edinburgh in Feb? I still havent heard a peep from Dublin. Which is is soo frustrating. I need closure
I've heard from previous years the Dublin sometimes contacts people in mid Jan with acceptances without interviews so don't let yourself feel down just yet! I also know someone who got an acceptance close to Christmas day! Dublin is just very random I guess.

I've heard from previous years the Dublin sometimes contacts people in mid Jan with acceptances without interviews so don't let yourself feel down just yet! I also know someone who got an acceptance close to Christmas day! Dublin is just very random I guess.
Thank you! Ill keep my fingers crossed