Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Ireland/England and how they view undergrad colleges

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by cmn623, Nov 25, 2005.

1. cmn623

cmn623 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have yet another question to throw out there. Do Medical schools in Ireland/England consider the undergraduate college a applicant went to significantly? I am in the process of deciding whether or not I should transfer to my brother's college, which has slightly less of a name than the college I am presently attending. My current school, however, is know to have a difficult and rigorous grading policy and I know that I could boost my GPA significantly from a 3.1 if I attended another school. What do ya'll think? I have to make the decision fairly soon and I'm nervous as all hell. It's going to be a big decision to make considering I have made some great friends in my current school (but barely have time to enjoy them with all the work). I would greatly appreciate your input or any advice that you have for me. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! :)

Cmn623

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't say they'd have a set criteria for the type or location of college you went to. My university was moderately high profile, but to my knowledge, I am the only student who has attended an Irish med school from my University, and the first to apply. But sorry for being blunt - it seems to me that you're taking a copout route by trying to transfer to an "easier" university just to boost your GPA. Not saying that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but would you not feel more pride by putting the work in to achieve what you need at the "harder" university you're at now? Medical schools (US) supposedly do take into account the differences in grading standard between universities.

4. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think the Irish schools consider the name of your college one bit. I'm sure they'd be impressed by schools like harvard or yale but if it's not a very famous school then it doesn't matter. If you can transfer and boost your GPA that will help you a lot more. Good luck.