Ireland Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quirinale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am one of the few people who are actually more interested in going to ireland than go to canadian med schools.

I was wondering if people can help by listing some sources of funding available for ontario citizens when they are thinking of this course of action. I cannot count on getting any help from family members (not for lack of sympathy just lack of $)

I know that a LOC from a bank is only about 150000 canadian. Where can I go for help regarding the missing 350000 or so that I will need for the rest of the 5 years of studying in Ireland. Is CANHELP the only one available or are there other less piranha-like financial aid available?

Also, what kind of income can I expect to get if I were to do internship and residency in Ireland and practice in europe, assuming US is out of the question. Would I be eligible for citizenship or would I be a resident alien forever? Would I be at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Quirinale said:
Also, what kind of income can I expect to get if I were to do internship and residency in Ireland and practice in europe, assuming US is out of the question. Would I be eligible for citizenship or would I be a resident alien forever? Would I be at a disadvantage?

INternship salaries are roughly ~€50,000/year. It is paid currently per hour so obviously some specialities in internship require more overtime than a rheumatology medical job. The basic salary is officially something like €27k for 39 hrs, 9-5 a week. All on call and hours outside of this is added on to make it up.

Plenty of people and most US students have no problems with USMLEs and matching. "Residency" is not as striaghtforward as the bottleneck is at consultant level due to the expense of consultant posts being paid by the state, there are obviously limits on how many they employ.

There are talks of a "junior" consultant post. Time to train and get a consultant post varies drastically between specalities (e.g., psychiatry can be 35, surgery could be 45).

I haven't really looked into financial aid much myself yet. I am also from Ontario. :)
From what I have read on the forums so far, it seems as though our best options are to contact Royal Bank or the Bank of Montreal. I gather that these are the only banks that will set up loans for Canadians that choose to study abroad.
If I do find anything else out, I will be sure to post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to give you a good number for an estimate for your costs, you need to budget about 70-80,000 Canadian dollars per year, if not more. There are a lot of variables, however, like exchange rate that are difficult to forsee. Government Canadian Student Loans will only get you maximum about 10 percent of that number each year, so you need to raise the rest some other way. Do some math and calculate how much money it will cost you in interest alone after 5 years to borrow 350,000 Canadian dollars, and then consider if it's really worth going to Ireland, instead of staying home for school, if you have the opportunity. As for jobs after graduating school, that's very unpredictable also, definitely not enough intern posts here in Ireland this year and who knows what will happen in the next few years with class sizes increasing and more migrants from other EU countries. As for the US, it should still be a good option for training in 5 years. It should be easier to train in Canada in the next few years, but hopefully, there will be an increase in the number of residency positions to facilitate all of the international medical graduates that want to return; currently, there aren't enough positions. Just some things to think about.

I know this won't help, but I know OSAP will give you approximately 6-$8,000. If anyone else has any other resources, other than CAN-Help (nice metaphor Quirinale :D), please post.

Uh...tuition is around $36,000 CDN per year (23,000 EURO at a cash rate of 1.6276 (0.6144)). Where are you getting $70-80,000 per year and $500,000 total? Is it that expensive to live in Ireland?

That's RCSI (~$53,515 CDN). It is still a far cry from the $500,000 the OP is mentioning. The cost of living = tuition?

I am from Ontario and borrowed through CANHelp and OSAP. I'm living on $30,000 Euro for the year and I'll have a couple thousand left over. I have a part time job (only one night a week though) but that helps with groceries and stuff.

I've heard for RCSI you'll need well over $40,000 per year.

Want to save a little bit of money? Don't stay in residence. It's a bitch to find something when you're not familiar with the area but residence is a lot more then a furnished apartment.

I mentioned 500000 because i figure it will be better to have too much money available to be borrowed at any time, than having not enough. also, if you manage to get some sources of money where the interest isnt as high or whatnot, you can do some creative accounting to keep your payments as little as possible.

You should be careful with early repayment penalties. You may borrow an excess amount but, that doesn't mean you can just return what you don't use with no strings attached. Check the policy before signing :)

Hi Buddy,

I am also from Ontario and we are in the same boat. I have offer from UCD, RCSI and SGU, but the question is : Is it really worth to be in 300-400 k debt after you graduate by going to Irish Med-school, why not Carrib-Schools,
SGU is the best Carrib med-school and is cheaper than Irish schools. Not ot mention the living expenses. Alos carrib is 4 year program whereas Irish schools have 5 year prog. ( another 23000 Euro)

I am a big fan of Irish schools , but as I calculated I will be in debt for more than 250k if I go to the least expensive one. However, the RBC said, every year they recheack the foreign med-schools expenses and in an exceptional situation, they will increse the line of credit.

Good luck,
Reza