Ireland: Perspectives/Feedback from Graduates or Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have made some posts under the Irish medical school thread, but wanted to start a new one due to circumstance. I initially had my mind set on Trinity, however due to new options I might have to choose between here or there. It figures that just when things seem to settle, life has a funny way of mixing it all up again. Anyhew, I have all the info I need regarding my options here (why I'm not posting that option). I am also familiar with residency training positions and stats regarding USMLE pass rates for Trinity. However, if anyone...US doctors trained in Ireland, Irish doctors who have practiced in the US, or pretty much anyone who has some first hand experience could provide insight into their training, lifestyle and existence of a stigmatism…if any associated with Irish training that would be great. I just want to make the most informed decision possible, as it is kind of a big one =). Any info...PROS and CONS would me much appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks, -p

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to second P's request. I have gotten info on stats and thoroughly looked over the AB and Ireland websites, but I would love to get some more personalized info. What kinds of things did you love about Ireland med as opposed to U.S., and what did you dislike?

P, Leorl, and anyone else who might matriculate in Ireland this year,
Since I am going to apply for Fall 2003, it would be great to keep in touch with one of you as you go through MS1. If I do end up over there next year, it would be nice to have someone who can point me in the right direction, i.e.- good places to live, things you wish you knew when you started in Ireland, etc. Thanks in advance.

No worries JM...I will be more than willing to keep you updated if I decide to attend.
-p

Members don't see this ad :)
I will as well! I have a little heads up, since I know my way around there as well and can show you some nice hot spots. As far as Irish grads practicing in America, I don't know that many. Both Canadians who're graduating this year have chosen to remain in Ireland and do residency there. The other Irish med students I know haven't completed their studies yet. If I find anyone, I'll let you know. Too bad we can't solicit doctors from Boston somehow.

I am actually in Boston and have just set up a meeting...this afternoon...with a Dr from UCD working at Boston Medical Center. I will let you know what he has to say, as I have plenty of questions for him.

-p

I have actually just found a Trinity med grad here in Buffalo. He is actually from Ireland, not an American/Canadian who went abroad. I am trying to get in touch with him. From what I have heard, he is quite respected. He is a renal doc, and is President of Erie County Medical Center, the biggest hospital in Buffalo. I'll keep everyone posted (if I get in touch with him).

hey P,

this is kinda weird, but i think i met you (at red bones!!)--i was with my boyfriend brian, who drove you home the night before. i think i mentioned that i was waiting on chicago, and you said you were interviewing at rush. hope it went well! i guess that might be what you mean by new options? i'm still waiting on my end :rolleyes:

best of luck
nina

i think if you have the option of studying medicine in the country in which you wish to spend the bulk of your life, you should stick with that option. Why not just do some away rotations in Dublin during the clinical years?

rsk77, because we don't want to.

Most of us considering med ed abroad want to explore a further cultural experience apart from just studying medicine. Rotations are only 4 weeks, 4 weeks isn't a long enough time to spend integrating oneself into another culture and being immersed in it. 4 weeks isn't long enough to make lasting friendships. Also for me personally, having experienced some sort of education abroad, I don't think the US system of education is well-suited for me and have found that I like others better.

Nina what is going on? At first I was like Brian who drove me home...hum...ah the Harvard boy now attending law school. Got it. Yes you are right on the 'new' options. Anyway, I am just trying to gather some feedback/info before I make a final choice. Kind of a PITA (Pain in the Ass)! Anyhew I hope Chicago works out for you...I don't know if the windy city is for me. Maybe I'll see you at Red Bones soon (Thurs or Sat nights...usually) :wink: Fairly random though right?

Thanks for the info rsk11, but LEORL has pretty much hit the nail on the head. By the way I studied at UQ...gotta love Queensland! The Valley, Surfer's Paradise, the RE!!! Excellent!

Still need info though.
:) -p

rsk77,
don't have time to write a long response right now, but leorl's reply sums up my reasons. Having also studied abroad, I can assure you that actually living somewhere else is a completely different experience than doing a 4 week rotation or taking a month long vacation somewhere.
JM

hey, hey P!!
You came to UQ? Ya, I've been here three months, pretty nice living on the coast. What did you think of UQ on an international scale? After school in Toronto, I got to tell you, I'm pretty impressed. The med. ed. is top-notch, better than I was expecting. Good luck with Ireland.

and...
Sorry to tell you, but the RE is out, and the Regatta is in. They've done up the Regatta big time, it's packed almost every night, and the RE has petered out and is only happening for Sunday sessions.

YAYA for regattas, if you mean the rowing boat races. YAYAYAYAY! I'm definitely rowing for Melbourne if I get in. God, how brilliant would that be, rowing on the Yarra. A lot of my Irish rower friends (being international elites and all) do quite a bit of training in AUS, but mainly for UTS.

rsk77,
Are you from Ontario? Being from Buffalo, I often head up to Toronto to go out (have to get away from Buffalo sometimes). It seems strange to me that you would question the Med school abroad thing, since you sound like you are having a great time in Australia. Or is that where plan to spend "the bulk of your life?" Just wondering. Best of luck.

Also, I have just got to say that the Ireland threads are great. 137 posts on the last one, and this one is on its way. Thanks to everyone who has been posting.

I know this is an Ireland thread, but I just have a quick Aussie question. I there any kind of central application service, such as AB, for the Australia schools, or do you just apply to each school individually?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jm1021:
•I know this is an Ireland thread, but I just have a quick Aussie question. I there any kind of central application service, such as AB, for the Australia schools, or do you just apply to each school individually?•••••There is. Its called ACER (something like Australian Council on Educational Research) - <a href="http://www.acer.edu.au" target="_blank">http://www.acer.edu.au</a>

You can also find the links for applying on each schools respective web site.

Hope this helps.

rsk11...Queensland rocks! The University is amazing...definitely impressed with it's standards. Regatta...think I spent a night or two there. Loved that area, just personally didn't think I would get any studying if I returned to OZ...there are to many fun things to do!!! Ha ha...anyway, this thread has gone way off course, but I will find out more one way or another about Ireland.

Cheers everyone
-p

P,
what happened at your meeting w/ the UCD Doc?

JM1021
Sorry I didn't get back to you guys on that...woops. Here is what this doctor told me.
Ok, I asked him a bunch of questions from how their basic sciences are to coming back here and practicing. This was his perspective...keep in mind, it is just that. He felt that the clinical training in Ireland is extremely solid with plenty of hands on and he said they really focus on having the doctor be able to take a solid history. He said in terms of physical diagnosis/history taking, your training would be equal if not better than most US physicians, just because they don't rely as heavy on diagnostic tests as physicians do here in the states. He pointed out that in the US these tests have to be run due to insurance policies and patients requesting/demanding them. For this reason, the Irish trained physicians might not have as much exposure/experience with these tests (as they are not required there or they just don't have the technology). Once again, he said it depended on if you do some of your clinical rotations back in the states...etc. He didn't feel that this was a minor draw back that could be compensated for with a little extra reading before or during residency. He made a good point saying that in order to be a good physician, you must have a solid foundation (ie clinical diagnosis and ability to take a history). This doctor is currently working with residents at Boston Medical Center and said that the Irish trained physicians carry no stigmatism and are looked upon favorable when being considered for residency positions. This was attributed to the reputation of the programs, which is directly attributed to how Irish physicians have performed here. He said socially, that the students in Ireland on younger and it's typically their first time away from home. So keep in mind what first years in college are like and go from there&#8230;they tend to go out a little more than the older students and might not be on the same page for activities. Once again, everyone is there own person and keep in mind you're at a big university, there will be options. He said not to forget that a large part of Irish culture involves alcohol, so keep that in mind as well. All in all he felt that the Irish students are usually more relaxed than students here. This could be one of many reasons...the school is five years instead of four, the students are younger, the beer flows like wine...who knows. That was his take. Price wise unless you are going to a state school, tuition is going to be close to half of most private US medical schools, although keep in mind that it's an extra year. The cost of living in Dublin is not as outrageous as New York, but rather similar to that of Boston, maybe a little less, it all depends. Basic science training will be excellent, but be prepared for a much different grading system. He said some of there clinical grades depended solely on how they performed on their finals...for example, his clinical assessments involved him seeing ACTUAL patients in the hospital, taking a history and giving a diagnosis. This was then reviewed by a group of physicians who would grill him why he asked certain questions and what he was leaning towards. Then he gave me the best advice, which I am beginning to discover from talking to a lot of people. I asked him how the basic science training was there...this was his response. "The basic science training is excellent, but just as anywhere else, what you put in is what you will get out. The name of Trinity will definitely help you, but it ultimately comes down to how much you want to work." Very sound advice. Finally, I asked him what he would do if he had the choice between any school in the US or doing his training in Ireland again. He said Ireland without a doubt...but he had a biased opinion. Ok, hope this helps, I'm getting writers cramp.

Thanks P, his comments are pretty much what I saw at Trinity when I studied there. It is a completely different system, but one I really like and think I'm better suited for. This is one of the reasons I'm doing international med study. They work hard, but get to have party hearty and participate in extracurriculars as well, and the heavier clinical component is why a lot of north americans actually go to Ireland because they feel it prepares better for the boards and for practice in general.

Hey everyone interested in Ireland I found a good site for questions/info.

<a href="http://www.studyingmedicine.com/" target="_blank">http://www.studyingmedicine.com/</a>

The forums could use some monitors and more direction, but what I really found helpful was under the international link. From that point click on current guides to medical schools and then select the school you want. The guide for trinity is amazing. I can't believe students took the time and effort to put that together for people. It is about a 50 page summary on everything you ever needed to know about studying medicine there&#8230;from where to shop and buy books to what you are going to need to do to succeed in specific classes in any one of the five years. While the guide is fairly intimidating when you can see what to expect for the next five years, the fact that students created this for future students has amazed me. If this is indicative of the support and attitude of all North Americans studying medicine at Trinity, I am going to have nothing to worry about!

Hope some of you find this useful
:wink:
paul