Ireland-Trinity and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GKK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows if a cumulative 3.53 (both science and overall) is competitive for Trinity in Ireland? My final two years were actually about 3.9 but I had pretty crappy first 2 years? Do they look at trends in marks?

Thanks,

GKK

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...got in with a 3.59 from a NESCAC school (small New England school). Had a bunch of ECs which definitely helped. Let me know if you need more info. Grades have to be above par, which a 3.53 is, but I think much more will be considered. Post more questions if you have them.

-p

Members don't see this ad :)
The selection process at Trinity seems to be rather nebulous GKK. However, I don't think your cum GPA will be an issue at all.As P said it's loads of EC's and sterling letters of rec that definitely further your cause. I would highly recommend that you apply and here's my advice to you get it in as early as possible
cheers,
S

Thanks for replies. I graduated from a large university (Univ.of Toronto) a few years back. I'm an older applicant so I'm not sure how this would affect my chances.

I also received the Atlantic bridge application and there seems to be only 2-4 lines for adding ECs, academic distinctions, etc. and only wrt research do they even ask for a separate sheet of paper. Nowhere in the application do they ask for a CV, so I'm guessing that they are not interested in one and primarily look at GPA?

GKK

UT's an awesome school ;). No, they actually really want a CV, they would actually prefer to see one. I asked them via email last year, and they said they would love to see a CV instead of everyone cramming their answers into those little spaces. Extracurriculars are a big part of their consideration.

what do they do with the application? do they send it to trinity? do they only send a certain number of applications to trinity that they think are competitive?

also, does anyone know the age range of students at trinity. are they mainly 18-24, or are there some older students?

Not sure about the first query but I'm assuming that the Admissions Office and/or Health Sciences Faculty Office in Trinity gets to see the applications at some point.

There's roughly a 50-50 split in the class between EU and non-EU students. The EU students (mostly Irish, N. Irish and English) are usually 18 just having left school. The non-EU students cover a much wider range of ages and backgrounds...there's plenty of people over 24. Apparently there was a guy a few years back from the US who was in his 40s. AFAIK he left after a year here...

I've met Trinity med students (canadians) who were in their 30s, meaning they had started med school around age 28-29. Those who start when they're over 23 are termed "mature students," and it's not really a big deal to be an older student.

I think they take your application and consolidate it so they can send it to all schools you choose to apply for, kind of like AMCAS. They don't pick who's in the acceptable range or anything, they're just like a middle man who sends the info. along.