Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supergirl776

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about Ireland being a great alternative for American students unable to get into American Medical schools. Is anyone out there currently attending an Irish school, or does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Royal College of Surgeons and University College of Dublin are excellent. Consider also St George's in Grenada.

Both schools in Dublin have been actively courting US students for years. They are both what I call geneuine medical schools in the sense that their primary mission is to produce Irish physicians to practice in Ireland, just as US medical schools exist to provide medical educations for Americans. Personally, I would rather spend the four years in Ireland than on a small, though attractive, Caribbean island. Dublin has history and pubs. Short hop to Britain and Europe for vacations, if you can afford them.
Matter of taste, however.
I do not have information on how to apply, but if you already know about them, you have seen that already. Otherwise the cultural section of an Irish Consulate may help you. And try your premed advisor. Both Dublin schools have been sending literature to advisors.
If you are looking offshore, SGU would be my first choice.
In either case, you would be a foreign medical graduate.