ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrness

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on submtting my application through atlantic bridge this week. Any canadians applying this year too, and how many seriously thinking of going if accepted? Although applying, i'm a little scared about going international.

Members don't see this ad.

It's perfectly natural to be a bit iffy about going international :). It's a huge step for a lot of north americans - some people have never left home before for a huge period of time, doing short travels doesn't exactly compare.

If you think you're up for the challenge though, do come over :). The experience is absolutely fantastic, and in Ireland there are tons of people from Canada and the US who're all going through the same thing you will be - you're not alone.

Good luck in your application. Where are you applying to?

hey there mrness,
definitely apply to the irish schools, they rock. at ucd right now having a grand time in 1st medical year. if you have a science degree already you can REALLY enjoy the first year (well the first semester anyway, next semester things are quite different i'm told). right now everything except for anatomy is review so there's plenty of time to do fun stuff like check out the friendly canada vs. ireland soccer game next week or go out on the piss on a regular basis. the profs here rock and you'll get a great education. good luck with your applications! i know what it's like to be in your shoes and you're smart to get everything in as early as possible so you'll hear back sooner!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
I'm not really applying early, I think the deadline is nov 15, what was it last year and when do u hear back? I plan on applying to UCD and TCD since If i did go i would rather stay in dublin. ( i think the other school was too expensive too).
Out of curiosity how many ppl from canada in your class? How old is everyone, a lot of high school students? cause i'm gonna be graduating from university this year, hate to think i'd be the oldeest guy, hehe!

In my class (I'm 3rd yr. at Trinity, so this is my 2nd yr. in Ireland), there's slightly more canadians than americans - I think like 7 or 8. In the year below me, there's quite a few Canadians. I actually think in terms of representation, there are more Canadian medical students here than American. But North American students do comprise a good portion/majority of the international students.

If you're just graduating from college, you will not be the oldest person in your class! :) . I did the same, came right after college and I'm one of the youngest of the north americans over here. You'll get a lot of americans/canadians who've spent time doing Masters or PhD's in your class, and in some cases some rather non-trad students in their late 30's - 40's. I know a couple guys who started med here in late 20's-early 30's because they took time off to train/compete in the Olympics - things like that, there's all sorts of reasons.

There will also be a couple Irish "mature" students, but not too many. They are going to change the way admissions to medical courses are done in the next few years - it'll be more like our system.

only reason i said about applying early is cuz i didn't apply til february 15th of this year....anyway that was on the late side of things...i heard back from trinity (the big FU) in mid april, things for me were complicated by the fact that i was supposed to write the april 2003 mcat but didn't so the only school i still qualified for was ucd and i heard about my acceptance at the end of june, but i know people who applied last november and they heard from most if not all of the schools by mid-march or april.

and don't worry about your age man, that's nothing. i'm 26, have 2 undergrad degrees but there are people here of all ages....my roomates vary in age from 19-29 so it's all over the place, but everyone gets along...seems like everyone in my class is from canada so it's all good...take it easy and get back if you have anymore questions...

okie, all my application stuff has been sent off, and your right they said they should get back to me like in mid-march to april. Funny thing is they don't even start looking at them until january, so i don't know why they wanted it so early, there isn't even an interview. BTW, how do they evaluate the applications, since you've been through it already. How do they weigh GPA, research, ECs, LORs, etc.

Thanks, and glad to hear your both enjoying life in Ireland.

Lates

I think it sort of depends which school you're talking about. But in general, since the systems are so different, applications are a bit less dependent on scores. Having said that, most of the north americans in my class had good GPAs and decent MCATs (if they sat the MCAT) - generally you want a range of scores that would be competitive for US or Canadian schools. However, weight on GPA and standardized test scores seems a bit more lenient, there are people here whose scores are a bit subpar (but not by much).

They seem to like research experience. You may have noticed the section in the AB application (unless they've changed it) that asks specifically if you've done any research. At least for Trinity, what they really seem to like are people who've done things a bit off the beaten path and are quite well-rounded. People who've not only done some science/med stuff, but who are really active in extracurriculars - sports, music, etc. They also like people who are worldly.

For instance, there's a guy in my class who sings with the Boston Pops choir nd did medical missions in africa. There's another guy who's a ranked surfer. Several in my class of masters or PhDs in epidemiology / immunology / and other fields. In other years, they have Olympic gold medalists or worlds medalists. They really seem to like diversity but in a unique sort of way, not the typical med student gunner kind of way.

mrness I thought that i was going to be the only one who was scared of going to Ireland ;) I am intimated at the thought of going international

I am a 17 year old Canadian and after applying to the program i got an interview at the royal college of surgeons, which is next month. Oh man i am so nervous now about the interview. I even bought a suit :) I have reading webpages about interviews like crazy for the past few hours and i am now even more scared :scared:

And for everyone else, has your initial impression of your med school changed and if it has chnaged, was for the positive or negative?