Irish residency for American medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

^=w6bF_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current student at a US medical school. I am a US/Irish dual citizen. Is it possible for me to obtain a residency post in Ireland or another EU country with my US education?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student at a US medical school. I am a US/Irish dual citizen. Is it possible for me to obtain a residency post in Ireland or another EU country with my US education?

Yes, it is possible. You'd have a tougher time than EU-citizen medical grads from Ireland (or EU citizens with medical degrees from other EU countries), but you'd have an easier time than a non-EU citizen.

Reactions: 1 user

It is possible, but very unlikely you'd get the internship rotation you want. Out of curiosity though, why would you be interested in doing a residency (if you can call Ireland's post-graduate training that) in Ireland if you are currently in a US medical school?
I am a graduate from an Irish medical school, interned in Ireland, and then left Ireland for greener pastures (i.e. residency in the US). I'm now an attending physician and I have absolutely no regrets. I absolutely hated Internship in Ireland and the prospect of spending many, many, many years of training before being considered a "Consultant" (whereby you pretty much need to have fellowship training in the US or equivalent anyway).