Irony anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We received the following message via email late last night. Does anyone else think it is EXTREMELY ironic that a former president of the AOA would go to a large, allopathic institution to explore his options for treatment?

Aren't small, osteopathic community hospitals capable of providing the same level of care? Why would you want to go anywhere else? :confused:

Dear members of the osteopathic family:

The AOA is saddened to announce that AOA President John A. Strosnider, DO, has fallen ill and been tentatively diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. While he is exploring all treatment options at the Cleveland Clinic, his prognosis remains uncertain.

At this time, Dr. Strosnider has humbly requested that he “needs no pity, but appreciates all prayers.” If you’d like to leave a message for Dr. Strosnider, you can do so on his blog (http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php) or send a note to him in care of the AOA.

AOA staff will be posting information and monitoring the blog for Dr. Strosnider in the interim.

Please keep Dr. Strosnider and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Members don't see this ad.

Who would go to a small community hospital for cancer treatment? If you've been in med school for any amount of time you should know how grave his prognosis is. He is right to seek the most advanced treatments, which will be at institutions that receive lots of research funding, traditionally not something found at osteopathic schools or hospitals.

Who would go to a small community hospital for cancer treatment? If you've been in med school for any amount of time you should know how grave his prognosis is. He is right to seek the most advanced treatments, which will be at institutions that receive lots of research funding, traditionally not something found at osteopathic schools or hospitals.

I think that his comments are meant to be commentary to point out that the large allo hospital does have the most advanced treatments... and a critique of osteo hospitals for not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Osteopathic schools and hospitals are not big into research. If you have cancer, especially one with such a poor prognosis, you have to go get the most up-to-date care that can only be provided at a large research-oriented institution.

We received the following message via email late last night. Does anyone else think it is EXTREMELY ironic that a former president of the AOA would go to a large, allopathic institution to explore his options for treatment?

Aren't small, osteopathic community hospitals capable of providing the same level of care? Why would you want to go anywhere else? :confused:

The AOA is saddened to announce that AOA President John A. Strosnider, DO, has fallen ill and been tentatively diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. While he is exploring all treatment options at the Cleveland Clinic, his prognosis remains uncertain.

At this time, Dr. Strosnider has humbly requested that he “needs no pity, but appreciates all prayers.” If you’d like to leave a message for Dr. Strosnider, you can do so on his blog (http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php) or send a note to him in care of the AOA.

AOA staff will be posting information and monitoring the blog for Dr. Strosnider in the interim.

You mean we can't do OMT for this...? Why not just milk the pancreas?

Some really unprofessional and immature posts here... I understand the point the OP is trying to make, but this is not the way to do it.

Way to kick the guy while he's down.

That is the point. We need to have such institutions.

Ahh, once again the DO vs MD debate only in a different light. Let me see how insecure us DO's are now. We are whining that the "president" didn't go to an "osteopathic" hospital to get his treatment, but an "allopathic" hospital.

There is NO FREAKING IRONY here. He went to a place that he felt could give him the best care. If you graduated from Harvard but then went to a midwest hospital to get treatment because they had the "best" treatments available, is that IRONIC that he didn't go to Harvard to get his treatment? NO, he went where he felt he could get the best treatment.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, When people stop trying to make DO's different from MD's is when DO's will garner more respect overall and we'll stop having these debates on which doctor can piss the furthest, or who treats who the best, or where the best care is given Other than that there is NO difference between the two, and anyone who tells you differently is lying to you and themselves.

Now, pancreatic CA we all know pretty much sucks. To not have any sort of empathy for someone receiving that kind of diagnosis, and cracking some OMM jokes, well pretty much you are an A$$, and all you've done is confirmed it to many anonymous posters, by posting such stupid ideas.

That is the point. We need to have such institutions.

For an organization that is committed to excellence in primary care, creating such an institution would cross the lines of hippocracy.

But this wouldn't be the thread to discuss this issue.

Your post makes absoultly no sense at all. You have demonstrated the ignorance of a pre-medical student (if you are not one, you are surely acting the part). Osteopathic medicine does not mean: " I am not going to take any drugs, go to any hospitals or undergo any treatment aside from OMM".

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we know the Dr. treating him there isn't an osteopath? ;) There's plenty of DO's working at allopathic hospitals.

TROLL.

TCC happens to be one the major cancer institutes in the nation. Don't bash him or the institute. Even if I was a quack doctor, I'd go to the best. You are truly ignorant and unprofessional to think the way you do. Get a life.

I don't consider myself easily offended, but to look at someone diagnosed with such a serious illness and see a chance to advance your own petty agenda...you have some real issues, and they have nothing to do with the AOA.:thumbdown:

Moderators...someone please close or delete this thread. OP, are you in medical school yet? Do you have any clue how bad the prognosis is for pancreatic cancer?? It's definitely not something like Hodgkins. This is probably the most distasteful post I've seen... and this is coming from someone who normally laughs off most of the offensive posts here on SDN.

To the OP: This might be one of the most unprofessional and ridiculous posts I have seen on SDN. What makes it even worse is according to your former posts you just matched at The Cleveland Clinic into medicine. Why would you admonish someone for seeking treatment at such a great institution that you claimed was your number 1 choice for residency?

/This thread should be removed.

I have to say I'm pretty confused by the OP too. If you look at his posting history, he actually matched in IM @ Cleveland Clinic.

How can you have possibly matched there without understanding that it's also an AOA-approved teaching hospital, affiliated with OUCOM?

i completely agree.

At this time, Dr. Strosnider has humbly requested that he "needs no pity, but appreciates all prayers." If you'd like to leave a message for Dr. Strosnider, you can do so on his blog (http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php) or send a note to him in care of the AOA.

Who's the hippocrite who went into the allo match now?

While I still say we need to strive to have institutions capable of providing complete and excellent care to all of our patients (not just primary care), I do agree that the the OP was inappropriate. I mean the guy has got pancreatic cancer, he has to go to the best hospital that specializes in this particular problem. Any hoots, wish him the best and yes, lets close this one.

Any chance that stress played a part in Dr. Strosnider getting sick (not in medical school yet, please dont flame). From all the flack that the AOA gets, and all the calls for a merger and how osteo and allo are pretty much similar, it must have been pretty tough to keep trying to expand the osteopathic profession without delving into a merger. I have been reading his blogs on the AOA website and he seems to be doing his best to expand osteopathy while keeping it separate from allopathy (which many of you disagree with). He has a tough job in my opinion.

<edit>

1 vote for most inappropriate post of the year
1 vote for close this thread
1 vote for "thread most like geraldo vs. bill o'reilly cheap political point dbaggery"

Looks like I’m taking some heat for this post. My intent was not to be malicious or wish one of the past presidents of the AOA any ill will. While I appreciate the different members of the classes of 2010 who have gone out of their way to explain the poor prognosis of pancreatic CA, I was aware of it before I made this post. I am certainly sympathetic to his condition and can appreciate that in many cases, these patients tend not to do very well. In no way did I mean to kick him while he’s down as one poster mentioned and apologize to people who thought this was my intent.

As a couple of you have already noted, I did in fact, match into the IM program at CCF and will acknowledge that it is a fine, top-notch institution (CCF has no AOA approved residencies- the link is to the Cleveland Clinic Health System which encompasses a number of smaller, community hospitals who ship their VERY sick patients to downtown, 100% ACGME-approved CCF). As one of the posters noted, CCF along with a number of the nation’s top hospitals have received considerable funding to conduct research, offer many of the most advanced treatments, and provide a level of care that is superior to what one would expect at a small community hospital – whether osteopathic or otherwise. I would do the same thing if I were in Dr. Strosnider’s shoes and believe most people would. That aside, the AOA does not recognize the internship year that I will complete in Cleveland and may or may not approve it through Resolution 42. If they lean toward the latter, I will not be permitted to practice in one of the five states (I grew up in PA). This is in spite of the fact that they offer a level of training that is every bit as good (and many would argue superior) to what you’ll find in an AOA-approved program. Therein lies a substantial component of my frustration.

The larger issue, something for which I make absolutely no apologies, is that the highest level of care seems to be found almost exclusively at allopathic institutions. Barring the case of the one DO at Harvard or your friend who matched into Anesthesia at Mayo, the highest level of care seems to incorporate a disproportionately small number of Osteopathic Physicians. And while my intention is not to make this into MD vs DO debate as SOUNDMAN suggests, I think it merits consideration by each of us. Is it because Osteopathic Medicine is an organization committed to primary care as Toohotinvegas notes (in his very limited experience of osteopathic medicine save for a few threads, an interview, and sending in a deposit to be part of the class of 2011)?

What’s difficult to argue is that the “old days” of nearly all DOs going into Primary Care are over with. More and more, our graduates are pursuing post-graduate training at larger institutions in increasing numbers. The push for ACGME accredited residencies is also increasing. Almost without exception, the top graduates from our school’s class of 2007 went through the MD match. And I think the reasons are akin to what has already been posted. It ultimately comes down to more opportunities and the potential for better training.

People may opt for care at an osteopathic hospital if it were superior to (or even on par with) what you’d find at many allopathic programs. Should a push be made to improve our sites/facilities or should we continue to send our brightest and most gifted graduates to allopathic institutions only to penalize them with limited practice rights when they finish? Food for thought.

Looks like I'm taking some heat for this post. My intent was not to be malicious or wish one of the past presidents of the AOA any ill will. While I appreciate the different members of the classes of 2010 who have gone out of their way to explain the poor prognosis of pancreatic CA, I was aware of it before I made this post. I am certainly sympathetic to his condition and can appreciate that in many cases, these patients tend not to do very well. In no way did I mean to kick him while he's down as one poster mentioned and apologize to people who thought this was my intent.

This isn't about you.

As a couple of you have already noted, I did in fact, match into the IM program at CCF and will acknowledge that it is a fine, top-notch institution (CCF has no AOA approved residencies- the link is to the Cleveland Clinic Health System which encompasses a number of smaller, community hospitals who ship their VERY sick patients to downtown, 100% ACGME-approved CCF). As one of the posters noted, CCF along with a number of the nation's top hospitals have received considerable funding to conduct research, offer many of the most advanced treatments, and provide a level of care that is superior to what one would expect at a small community hospital &#8211; whether osteopathic or otherwise. I would do the same thing if I were in Dr. Strosnider's shoes and believe most people would. That aside, the AOA does not recognize the internship year that I will complete in Cleveland and may or may not approve it through Resolution 42. If they lean toward the latter, I will not be permitted to practice in one of the five states (I grew up in PA). This is in spite of the fact that they offer a level of training that is every bit as good (and many would argue superior) to what you'll find in an AOA-approved program. Therein lies a substantial component of my frustration.

Again, this isn't about you.

[Politics removed]

Should a push be made to improve our sites/facilities or should we continue to send our brightest and most gifted graduates to allopathic institutions only to penalize them with limited practice rights when they finish? Food for thought..

Are you kidding?
1) THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU
2) Of course there should be a push to improve training programs
2b) this is not the context to argue for that
3) wtf man, seriously?
4) Your hole is already deep enough

Looks like I’m taking some heat for this post. My intent was not to be malicious or wish one of the past presidents of the AOA any ill will. While I appreciate the different members of the classes of 2010 who have gone out of their way to explain the poor prognosis of pancreatic CA, I was aware of it before I made this post. I am certainly sympathetic to his condition and can appreciate that in many cases, these patients tend not to do very well. In no way did I mean to kick him while he’s down as one poster mentioned and apologize to people who thought this was my intent.

As a couple of you have already noted, I did in fact, match into the IM program at CCF and will acknowledge that it is a fine, top-notch institution (CCF has no AOA approved residencies- the link is to the Cleveland Clinic Health System which encompasses a number of smaller, community hospitals who ship their VERY sick patients to downtown, 100% ACGME-approved CCF). As one of the posters noted, CCF along with a number of the nation’s top hospitals have received considerable funding to conduct research, offer many of the most advanced treatments, and provide a level of care that is superior to what one would expect at a small community hospital – whether osteopathic or otherwise. I would do the same thing if I were in Dr. Strosnider’s shoes and believe most people would. That aside, the AOA does not recognize the internship year that I will complete in Cleveland and may or may not approve it through Resolution 42. If they lean toward the latter, I will not be permitted to practice in one of the five states (I grew up in PA). This is in spite of the fact that they offer a level of training that is every bit as good (and many would argue superior) to what you’ll find in an AOA-approved program. Therein lies a substantial component of my frustration.

The larger issue, something for which I make absolutely no apologies, is that the highest level of care seems to be found almost exclusively at allopathic institutions. Barring the case of the one DO at Harvard or your friend who matched into Anesthesia at Mayo, the highest level of care seems to incorporate a disproportionately small number of Osteopathic Physicians. And while my intention is not to make this into MD vs DO debate as SOUNDMAN suggests, I think it merits consideration by each of us. Is it because Osteopathic Medicine is an organization committed to primary care as Toohotinvegas notes (in his very limited experience of osteopathic medicine save for a few threads, an interview, and sending in a deposit to be part of the class of 2011)?

What’s difficult to argue is that the “old days” of nearly all DOs going into Primary Care are over with. More and more, our graduates are pursuing post-graduate training at larger institutions in increasing numbers. The push for ACGME accredited residencies is also increasing. Almost without exception, the top graduates from our school’s class of 2007 went through the MD match. And I think the reasons are akin to what has already been posted. It ultimately comes down to more opportunities and the potential for better training.

People may opt for care at an osteopathic hospital if it were superior to (or even on par with) what you’d find at many allopathic programs. Should a push be made to improve our sites/facilities or should we continue to send our brightest and most gifted graduates to allopathic institutions only to penalize them with limited practice rights when they finish? Food for thought.

Maybe I am not understanding this, but, your original post had nothing to do with osteopatic/allopathic residency issues. In fact, my biggest complaint was that you lowered yourself to insult a man who was sick. In fact, I will go as far as to say that your original post was, by far, one of the most poorly written pieces I have ever seen. You may be a resident and know far more about pancreatic CA than I but you clearly seem to have failed in English writing, 101. I apologize for your difficulties with the AOA but, that is no reason to insult a man who may soon die. Clearly, you have a lot of growing to do and that coming from a 24 year old should be enough of a wake up call for anyone.

How do we know the Dr. treating him there isn't an osteopath? ;) There's plenty of DO's working at allopathic hospitals.

As a matter of fact, Dr. Juhasz is one of the physicians caring for Dr. Strosnider at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Juhasz is a DO and former president of the Ohio Osteopathic Association.

Looks like I'm taking some heat for this post. My intent was not to be malicious or wish one of the past presidents of the AOA any ill will. While I appreciate the different members of the classes of 2010 who have gone out of their way to explain the poor prognosis of pancreatic CA, I was aware of it before I made this post. I am certainly sympathetic to his condition and can appreciate that in many cases, these patients tend not to do very well. In no way did I mean to kick him while he's down as one poster mentioned and apologize to people who thought this was my intent.

As a couple of you have already noted, I did in fact, match into the IM program at CCF and will acknowledge that it is a fine, top-notch institution (CCF has no AOA approved residencies- the link is to the Cleveland Clinic Health System which encompasses a number of smaller, community hospitals who ship their VERY sick patients to downtown, 100% ACGME-approved CCF). As one of the posters noted, CCF along with a number of the nation's top hospitals have received considerable funding to conduct research, offer many of the most advanced treatments, and provide a level of care that is superior to what one would expect at a small community hospital &#8211; whether osteopathic or otherwise. I would do the same thing if I were in Dr. Strosnider's shoes and believe most people would. That aside, the AOA does not recognize the internship year that I will complete in Cleveland and may or may not approve it through Resolution 42. If they lean toward the latter, I will not be permitted to practice in one of the five states (I grew up in PA). This is in spite of the fact that they offer a level of training that is every bit as good (and many would argue superior) to what you'll find in an AOA-approved program. Therein lies a substantial component of my frustration.

What's difficult to argue is that the "old days" of nearly all DOs going into Primary Care are over with. More and more, our graduates are pursuing post-graduate training at larger institutions in increasing numbers. The push for ACGME accredited residencies is also increasing. Almost without exception, the top graduates from our school's class of 2007 went through the MD match. And I think the reasons are akin to what has already been posted. It ultimately comes down to more opportunities and the potential for better training.

People may opt for care at an osteopathic hospital if it were superior to (or even on par with) what you'd find at many allopathic programs. Should a push be made to improve our sites/facilities or should we continue to send our brightest and most gifted graduates to allopathic institutions only to penalize them with limited practice rights when they finish? Food for thought.

Dude, the smart thing to do here is to ask one of the mods to close the thread. You are digging a deep hole for yourself and you probably are not nearly as anonymous as you think, being a DO who matched in a predominately MD institution.

I don't see why you couldn't bring all this up without bringing Dr. Strosnider's medical condition into this. You've pretty much stooped to the level of cable TV demagogues and propagandist filmmakers who take human tragedies like Hurricane Katrina or 9/11 and twist the events into somehow "proving" whatever their twisted world view happens to be.

In your original post, you seem to take absolute delight in Dr. Strosnider's misfortune because somehow, in your delusional worldview, it proves some kind of point (?) about the state of osteopathic medical education and osteopathic licensure in certain states (???). Huh?

Did members of the AOA break into your house by the darkness of night while you slept, blindfold you, throw you in the back of a van, and force you to apply and matriculate into osteopathic medical school at gunpoint in a musty prison cell somewhere overseas under threat of physical harm or death? Or did you apply and matriculate through informed choice like the rest of us?

Also, there are legitimate channels to voice dissent on osteopathic licensure in Pennsylvania. Anonymous forums will get you nowhere on this. Dr. strosnider having pancreatic cancer has nothing to do with it, either, regardless of how you cut it.

Jeez...WTF...seriously, Grow Up.

Did members of the AOA break into your house by the darkness of night while you slept, blindfold you, throw you in the back of a van, and force you to apply and matriculate into osteopathic medical school at gunpoint in a musty prison cell somewhere overseas under threat of physical harm or death? Or did you apply and matriculate through informed choice like the rest of us?

Awesome! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Looks like this was a poor taste attempt as telling everyone where you matched.

You get my vote for "D.O.uche Bag of the Year"

My avatar doesnt like Easter. He does reasearch on rabbits and feels it in a conflict of interest.

Folks, this is totally off subject, but it's a heck of a lot better than the original one so.....

I was nosing around the CC Fairview website and looking at the residents chosen for IM and there isn't a single one in three years from the US!
http://www.fairviewhospital.org/body.cfm?id=259

So someone educate me:
I thought a predominately IMG is a sign of an unpopular program.
Yet, the CC is perceived as a well-known and strong program.
Is Fairview not a strong CC hospital?

So what's up? One or two IMGs and I wouldn't think twice about it. But, it's almost like they prefer IMGs.

Folks, this is totally off subject, but it's a heck of a lot better than the original one so.....

I was nosing around the CC Fairview website and looking at the residents chosen for IM and there isn't a single one in three years from the US!

So someone educate me:

So what's up? One or two IMGs and I wouldn't think twice about it. But, it's almost like they prefer IMGs.

This might have something to do with it: http://www.fairviewhospital.org/body.cfm?id=57

The Director of Medicine/Chair of IM is foreign (Indian).

BTW, where's the link for selected residents from the match? I'm sure he may be the only DO selected and I want to see if he looks anymore like a douche as much as he sounds like one.

Following this link reveals that not one resident is American. Every country except the United States has a resident in that program.) Not that that is a bad thing.....just a surprise.

Following this link reveals that not one resident is American. Every country except the United States has a resident in that program.) Not that that is a bad thing.....just a surprise.

Check out the general surgery program...they have a guy from iraq! so I am pretty sure that he is happy where he is right now, but there still is a majority foreign contingent, along with a DO and a few US MD's.

Check out the general surgery program...they have a guy from iraq! so I am pretty sure that he is happy where he is right now, but there still is a majority foreign contingent, along with a DO and a few US MD's.

Ain't that a kick in the keister?

Hey, I love internationals as well as the next guy, but to fill a US government-funded surgical residency, MD or not, with graduates from Jordan, India, Egypt, Pakistan, Ukraine and Iraq when there are US trained DOs looking for spots just seems wrong.

I mean, dang, bring in a Chilean, a Spaniard, and some guy from Indonesia and the Cleveland Clinic can be the United fricken Nations of Medicine.

So someone educate me:

After further review of the people in this program, I believe we need to make a petition to send the program director to Iraq. You have people from Saudi Arabia, India, Syria, Egypt,Pakistan, and Ghana under one roof and nobody is blowing anything up...how does he do it?

After further review of the people in this program, I believe we need to make a petition to send the program director to Iraq. You have people from Saudi Arabia, India, Syria, Egypt,Pakistan, and Ghana under one roof and nobody is blowing anything up...how does he do it?

This thread just gets worse and worse! That is blatantly offensive. I think you must have gone to the Don Imus school of osteopathic medicine. Some of my best friends in residency are IMG's from Jordan and Pakistan. They are stand up guys and fabulous docs.

This thread has officially degrades to a point of no return. For God's sake moderator, close it!

wow

Status
Not open for further replies.