IRR Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarboardMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start terminal leave in one month (insert triumphal orchestra music), and I'm looking at my working copy of my DD 214, but I don't see anything about my IRR commitment. Is this somewhere else? I want to verify that they're not tracking me owing more IRR time than I do. Where can I find it in writing?

Members don't see this ad.

The IRR fairies just kind of appeared from nowhere. I didn't have to do anything to make that start. They had me do an Oath of Office before seperating.

You should look at your original contract, most Officer contracts are for 8 years total. Usually it will state your commitment ie: 4 years active duty and 4 years IRR or something similar to that verbiage. Also at the end of your commitment you can exercise the option to resign your commission. If you don't resign or transfer to retired reserve they will continue to carry you on the books.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you get to resign your commission when your REFRAD paperwork becomes effective?

An early, if not the first, step in the REFRAD process is submitting a memorandum indicating your intentions. That is the document that needs to indicate that you want not only to resign your RA commission, but also that you don't want a reserve commission. Someone from the S1 shop/personnel office should have the memo template for you, and that template normally defaults to accepting the reserve commission. So, just make sure it's altered appropriately.

In theory, your S1 shop shouldn't let you submit the memo declining a reserve commission if you still owe IRR time, but if they don't catch it, then HRC should. The real test, and the answer for the OP, is your orders. Anyone undergoing REFRAD and therefore resigning his RA commission should have orders that say something along the lines of "you are reassigned to the U.S. Army transition point for transition processing. After processing, you are discharged from the component shown." And then, the orders should indicate that your component is regular Army.

If there is no additional language in the orders about reassignment to the reserve component, then that's it. You're done. Of course, if they mess up and accidently discharge you with an outstanding IRR obligation, I'm sure they'll find a way to recall you.

An early, if not the first, step in the REFRAD process is submitting a memorandum indicating your intentions. That is the document that needs to indicate that you want not only to resign your RA commission, but also that you don't want a reserve commission. Someone from the S1 shop/personnel office should have the memo template for you, and that template normally defaults to accepting the reserve commission. So, just make sure it's altered appropriately.

In theory, your S1 shop shouldn't let you submit the memo declining a reserve commission if you still owe IRR time, but if they don't catch it, then HRC should. The real test, and the answer for the OP, is your orders. Anyone undergoing REFRAD and therefore resigning his RA commission should have orders that say something along the lines of "you are reassigned to the U.S. Army transition point for transition processing. After processing, you are discharged from the component shown." And then, the orders should indicate that your component is regular Army.

If there is no additional language in the orders about reassignment to the reserve component, then that's it. You're done. Of course, if they mess up and accidently discharge you with an outstanding IRR obligation, I'm sure they'll find a way to recall you.

Thank you. Since I was on IRR*5 yrs prior to AD (fully deferred), I don't know If I have more IRR. I suppose the spirit of the regulation is that IRR follows AD, but as far as I can tell, the reg doesn't specify. I tried to ask HRC and got nowhere.

Thank you. Since I was on IRR*5 yrs prior to AD (fully deferred), I don't know If I have more IRR. I suppose the spirit of the regulation is that IRR follows AD, but as far as I can tell, the reg doesn't specify. I tried to ask HRC and got nowhere.

I know that HPSP IRR time is specifically exempted from the total 8-year commissioning obligation, but I'm not aware of any other exceptions. Unfortunately, it's not surprising that HRC wasn't helpful. So, unless you have a local personnel guru to turn to or there is language in your deferral contract that's on point, then I would just submit your memo without accepting the reserve commission.

My orders say "Assigned to: USAR CON GP (REINF) 1600 SPEARHEAD DIVISION AVE, FT KNOX, KY 40122" so I assume that's the IRR component. The next line says "Terminal date of Reserve obligation: Not applicable". I guess there's no way to verify that we agree in the number of IRR years I owe. Or contact info. Or any requirements I might need to fulfill, like updating them of my address...

You mean the medical school/as an O-1 time?

Right. HPSP during medical school is IRR time, except for the ADTs, which would ordinarily count toward the 8-year requirement, but they've specifically made it so that the time doesn't count. In contradistinction, I spent 4 years on IRR in medical school, but wasn't HPSP, so I'm pretty sure my time would have counted, as I think your time in residency should. Of course, I've more than fulfilled this requirement via AD time, so I've never really bothered to research it in depth.

As a followup to my post within this thread: time spent in civilian residency does not fulfill any IRR requirement. It's spelled out in a very small bullet within the HPSP contract as I discovered after hitting a wall trying to speak to HRC.

As a followup to my post within this thread: time spent in civilian residency does not fulfill any IRR requirement. It's spelled out in a very small bullet within the HPSP contract as I discovered after hitting a wall trying to speak to HRC.

bummer

What branch are you? I'm navy and don't see it in my contract. And I posted a similar question here with a similar question about separation orders- the conclusion was I don't owe time.

What branch are you? I'm navy and don't see it in my contract. And I posted a similar question here with a similar question about separation orders- the conclusion was I don't owe time.

Army.

18. I understand that the following provisions apply to the discharge of my ADO:
a. Time spent in graduate professional education (first-year graduate medical education, Advanced General Dentistry Program 1, internships, residencies, fellowships) and dur1ng participation in the military CPIP will not be creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP ADO.
b. Time spent on active duty in graduate professional education (first year of graduate medical education, Advance General Dentistry Program 1, residencies or fellowships) is creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP RSO. Additionally, time spent on active duty beyond my incurred active duty obligation will also count toward repayment of my AFHPSP RSO.
c. Time spent in nonmilitary graduate professional education or prior to completion of the professional degree requirements will not be creditable toward satisfying my AFHPSP RSO.

The contract is entitled AF(armed forces)HPSP so I am sure it applies to you too. If you escaped without IRR, props to you. I'm about to submit my resignation so I will see what happens

Does anyone know if there is an electronic copy of your original terms? I was naïve and less organized 5-10 years ago.