Irr Recall!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well not exactly...but I know this probably got some of your attention....the military has apparently started to issue orders at random to members in the IRR for a 1 day muster duty for acountability and readiness...I guess it's sort of like the PAI (Personnel Asset Inventory) everybody did when they were AD.

anyways this has caused mass hysteria and paranoia amongst many who are serving out there remaining service obligation in the IRR...many think this is a prelude to a mass IRR recall...

here is the link to the militarytimes.com forum http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1559339

here is the link to the actual article http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/06/ap_reservists_musters_070612/

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

well not exactly...but I know this probably got some of your attention....the military has apparently started to issue orders at random to members in the IRR for a 1 day muster duty for acountability and readiness...I guess it's sort of like the PAI (Personnel Asset Inventory) everybody did when they were AD.

anyways this has caused mass hysteria and paranoia amongst many who are serving out there remaining service obligation in the IRR...many think this is a prelude to a mass IRR recall...

here is the link to the militarytimes.com forum http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1559339

here is the link to the actual article http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/06/ap_reservists_musters_070612/

what do you guys think?

I believe the Marines have already been mobilizing people from IRR over the past 2 years. I don't think this is anything new.

However, I still have never heard of a doc being mobilized from IRR, although this does remain a possibility.

For the GMO, that is now in a civilian residency training program (and in IRR), there is language in the IRR AFI that basically states that you are non-deployable while in the training program.

I believe the Marines have already been mobilizing people from IRR over the past 2 years. I don't think this is anything new.

However, I still have never heard of a doc being mobilized from IRR, although this does remain a possibility.

For the GMO, that is now in a civilian residency training program (and in IRR), there is language in the IRR AFI that basically states that you are non-deployable while in the training program.

REALLY?! what exactly is the AFI? Is this some sort of regulation? I'd love to see that

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why they are acting like this is new. They've been doing this for a while now. The main reason is to make sure people in the IRR are actually around, not dead, and somewhat ready if needed. They get current contact information and the such. No need to get worried.

REALLY?! what exactly is the AFI? Is this some sort of regulation? I'd love to see that

Found it...

Here is some good reference material (Maybe we can sticky this or something?)...

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/123513p.pdf

and

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/121518p.pdf

For those of us that this applies (i.e. GMOs that are going into residency after finishing their ADSC or going into a fellowship/another residency after their ADSC)...

6.4. Hardships and Delays
6.4.1. Hardships. Individuals with orders to involuntary AD that shall result in
extreme community or personal hardship, on their request, may be transferred to the
Standby Reserve, the Retired Reserve, or may be discharged, in accordance with DoD
Directive 1200.7 (reference (g)).
6.4.2. Delays. Individuals involuntarily ordered to AD or ADT under this
section, may be authorized a delay, according to the rules set by the Secretary concerned.
6.5. Exceptions. Members of the Ready Reserve that are unable to participate for
any of the following reasons shall be processed, as indicated:

6.5.6. Individuals Enrolled in Health Professions Graduate Study. Individuals
enrolled in a course of graduate study in one of the health professions shall be screened,
in accordance with DoD Directive 6000.12 (reference (j)).

Found it...

Here is some good reference material (Maybe we can sticky this or something?)...

and

For those of us that this applies (i.e. GMOs that are going into residency after finishing their ADSC or going into a fellowship/another residency after their ADSC)...

6.4.1. Hardships. Individuals with orders to involuntary AD that shall result in
extreme community or personal hardship, on their request, may be transferred to the
Standby Reserve, the Retired Reserve, or may be discharged, in accordance with DoD
section, may be authorized a delay, according to the rules set by the Secretary concerned.
6.5. Exceptions. Members of the Ready Reserve that are unable to participate for

enrolled in a course of graduate study in one of the health professions shall be screened,

thanks seth..I'll be sure to save this just in case I need it in the future...moderator please sticky this information for all us GMOs in the IRR going back to civlian residencies

what do you guys think?

I got a letter in the mail last week telling me that I was ordered to report in July to one of these musters...fat chance I'll be there. I tried calling their 1800 # but didn't get in touch with anyone, tried to email someone at HRC, no luck....

I just got out in January, and am also aware that the army is recalling like 1800 people off the IRR by this september, not sure if that will change or not given the slightly improved security situation in Iraq.

I got a letter in the mail last week telling me that I was ordered to report in July to one of these musters...fat chance I'll be there. I tried calling their 1800 # but didn't get in touch with anyone, tried to email someone at HRC, no luck....

I just got out in January, and am also aware that the army is recalling like 1800 people off the IRR by this september, not sure if that will change or not given the slightly improved security situation in Iraq.

Interesting. Let us know how this all works out (when and how they hunt you down.)

That's a good idea, disobeying a legal order. I hope you have a reason for not being able to go and they accept it. Otherwise please do keep us informed of the result of your AWOL, I'd be interested to see if they care or not.

That's a good idea, disobeying a legal order. I hope you have a reason for not being able to go and they accept it. Otherwise please do keep us informed of the result of your AWOL,

Before anyone else gets too wound around the axle about elderjack "going AWOL," let me state categorically that there will be zero serious consequences to not showing up for a one-day muster.

Half the people will not receive the notification and half of those will not show up. Even if the Army is serious about making everyone show up, there will be lots of re-notifications and second-chances. Anyone who thinks that they will be sending out the MP's to arrest elderjack and thousands of other IRR members and prosecute them for being AWOL is delusional.

Now...if it were an actual call-up to permanent active-duty it might be a different story.

Good luck finding me in Argentina when the IRR callback happens.

Just kidding. For those of us in residency during the IRR years, take a look at the links posted by sethco above. That should assuage your fears.

Those of you in private practice, any IRR callback would be a huge hardship. In the unlikely event that it happens, get yourself a big expensive lawyer and fight that thing tooth and nail. I'd spend a year's salary on legal expenses to get out of a year of involuntary return to active duty. Almost anything would be worth not going back to military medicine.

Before anyone else gets too wound around the axle about elderjack "going AWOL," let me state categorically that there will be zero serious consequences to not showing up for a one-day muster.

Half the people will not receive the notification and half of those will not show up. Even if the Army is serious about making everyone show up, there will be lots of re-notifications and second-chances. Anyone who thinks that they will be sending out the MP's to arrest elderjack and thousands of other IRR members and prosecute them for being AWOL is delusional.

Now...if it were an actual call-up to permanent active-duty it might be a different story.

I'm not too conerned about all of this.

1) If they wanted me to muster, they would have sent it to my correct address in a certified envelope (just like the activation orders)

2) they would have given me clear guidence as to who was in charge of it and how I could contact them explaining why I won't be there (let me put medical school on hold to show up to a muster 2000 miles away from where I am attending)

3) they are still running a pilot of this new muster system, since the old one doesn't work...I will just fall into the category of people who didn't show up, even though I sent them emails saying why I wouldn't be there and tried calling their worthless number.

4) I am now enrolled in HPSP...and just because they didn't fix their system to show this, it really isn't my problem. As far as I know...HPSP students don't "muster" for one day, we do 45 days a year.

I will keep you informed of how this all turns out, my muster "days" were sometime in July when I start school, so I imagine that sometime after that they will realize that I didn't show up...send me another letter...who knows, I can only imagine the caliber of Soldier that they have running the IRR system.

On another note, I heard that at these musters, they have recruiters that try to feed on the fear of the unknowing promising them that if they join a national guard or reserve unit, then they can be "stabilized" with the unit for 2 years.

Another thing I have heard is that early on, there was a direct correlation between those who showed up for the muster, and those who received real activation orders later on. You show up, they know you are good to go, you get put on the good to go list, you don't show up, you are on the list of people they still need to track down. Interestingly, there is no punishment for those on this list that I know of.

Just kidding. For those of us in residency during the IRR years, take a look at the links posted by sethco above. That should assuage your fears.
Another perk of the GMO route, eh? Boy, it just gets sweeter and sweeter....

Members don't see this ad :)
Found it...

and

Hey Sethco, help my GMO brain figure this out (i'm getting dumber by the second in AHLTAville!)...

As I read through the docs you referenced it didn't seem like a slam dunk to get out of the IRR backdoor draft simply by being in residency after getting out of the ADSC... it just looks like you'll be screened according to that DOD Directive 6000.12 which I looked up and looks like an accessions document for giving old guys coming into MilMed out of private practice for the first time Major or LtCol or something.

Reassure me and make me feel better about life; I'd love to know the Air Force couldn't touch me for 5 years through residency as I'm out in 369 days... but who's counting?

Hey Sethco, help my GMO brain figure this out (i'm getting dumber by the second in AHLTAville!)...

As I read through the docs you referenced it didn't seem like a slam dunk to get out of the IRR backdoor draft simply by being in residency after getting out of the ADSC... it just looks like you'll be screened according to that DOD Directive 6000.12 which I looked up and looks like an accessions document for giving old guys coming into MilMed out of private practice for the first time Major or LtCol or something.

Reassure me and make me feel better about life; I'd love to know the Air Force couldn't touch me for 5 years through residency as I'm out in 369 days... but who's counting?

Wish I could, dude. I am in the same boat as you.

This is one of the reasons (actually the main reason) I am considering the Medical-In-Training Program. Here is a link where we were talking about it...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=507954

I think the documents I referenced are intentionally vague. I can't tell whether I am just "screened" or if I receive a "4T" while in residency.

Ever see one of those police stings for outstanding warrants ?

They mail everybody on the bench warrant list a notification they've been selected to an all inclusive super-bowl party and when they show up, they slap the cuffs on 'em.

If you are dumb enough to show up for a muster, then you are certainly deserving of much the same fate

If you are dumb enough to show up for a muster, then you are certainly deserving of much the same fate

Couldn't agree with you less. If you signed up for the military part of your obligation is your IRR years. I don't care how "dumb" or whatever you think the musters are it is a lawful order and by not showing up you are simply disobeying an order. I find this to be a bunch of bull. Do your part and show up as ordered.

Couldn't agree with you less. If you signed up for the military part of your obligation is your IRR years. I don't care how "dumb" or whatever you think the musters are it is a lawful order and by not showing up you are simply disobeying an order. I find this to be a bunch of bull. Do your part and show up as ordered.

**** the muster and the IRR. Whatever date they pick, I'm on call and I can't show up. They can send the MPs to arrest my @ss.

How about this. When I signed on the dotted line years ago, I had my IRR requirements clearly spelled out to me. "Keep the DoD updated with any changes of address that you may have so they can activate you to deploy in case of "WWIII."

As far as I am concerned, I am holding up my part of the deal by letting them know where I am living, not my fault they changed the rules mid-game.

Already did my part. probably while you were still in Jr. High.
IRR 1985-2001. Went back on AD w/o a call up 6 months before 9/11. Asked for DMZ, they gave it to me.

BTW, I didn't send IRR a copy of my practice permit one year, they sent me a nasty letter saying I was being kicked out of the IRR and I'll be dammned if they didn't send me a promotion the next month.

The american public voted for this Iraq mess, twice. They could care less what happens. It's their problem now. They've squandered the committment of the american soldier. Their life goes on while they're worried about their 401k and Brittney Spears and their little prince in college.

This is a suckers game, the old rules don't work anymore. I don't like it, I wish it were like 1942 but it's not. Make 'em work for it if they want you that badly.

The american public voted for this Iraq mess, twice. They could care less what happens. It's their problem now. They've squandered the committment of the american soldier. Their life goes on while they're worried about their 401k and Brittney Spears and their little prince in college.

This is a suckers game, the old rules don't work anymore. I don't like it, I wish it were like 1942 but it's not. Make 'em work for it if they want you that badly.

Truer statements can't be found.

Vote for Obama and all your wildest dreams will come true...

I am surprised that this one slipped by without comment. I almost dropped to the floor in hysterics when I read this! :laugh:

After the second report on Iraq was released today by the army think tank, I feel it's been made very clear to me. The leadership failed me, they've demonstrated a clearly defined culture of poor judgement.

I no longer trust the leaderships judgement, I have lost confidence in it, and I'd be damned if I'd continue to feed their collective malignant narcissim with one more minute of my time.

Enabling these clowns in command and control with more of your time is just as bad giving addict a ride to a crack house.