Irr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauchat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
13 years is significantly more than 7 years. As is 8 years compared to 4. My question is, when thinking about USUHS and HPSP programs, should I be thinking of committment in terms of AD+IRR, or is IRR something that can be justifiably ignored?

Members don't see this ad.

13 years is significantly more than 7 years. As is 8 years compared to 4. My question is, when thinking about USUHS and HPSP programs, should I be thinking of committment in terms of AD+IRR, or is IRR something that can be justifiably ignored?

In most instances IRR can be justifiably ignored. If you do USUHS an active duty internship and payback entirely as a GMO, you are free and clear.

If you do HPSP and a AD residency, by the time you finish HPSP payback you are free and clear.

The only time it is an issue is if you get a full civilian deferment. Then you will have 4 years of IRR time left.

IRR can usually be ignored, as personnel in the IRR aren't typically activated/mobilized to active duty. But, it IS possible; just not likely.

As far as commitment time for HPSP (i.e. scholarship + IRR = 8 years) --> If you're a 4 year HPSP scholarship recipient who does a military internship, 4 years of AD payback, you will still have 3 years of IRR when you separate from the service. Usually you'll be in residency for those 3 years, and again, it's highly unlikely that you would be mobilized, but it is possible.

Essentially, if you haven't served 8 years of AD when you separate from service (as stipulated in your HPSP contract), then that remaining time must be served as an affiliated reserve medical officer (IRR, MIT, drilling reserves, etc.).