Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
IRS revokes hospital nonprofit status for the first time

"The news comes as a recent Politico analysis found the nation's top nonprofit hospitals have seen revenue increase since the ACA was implemented. However, the same analysis also found the same organizations have spent considerably less on charity care during that same time period."

Physicians offices can't be non-profit, why should hospitals?

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

"The news comes as a recent Politico analysis found the nation's top nonprofit hospitals have seen revenue increase since the ACA was implemented. However, the same analysis also found the same organizations have spent considerably less on charity care during that same time period."

Well, technically, free clinics and clinics like Planned Parenthood are non-profit.

For a brief period of time, as a med student, I "worked" at a volunteer clinic for indigent people. There was definitely no profit going on there for anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

for that matter, why should churches?

again, hospitals theoretically offer free care for the indigent. that is the card they always can play. your questions may have been rhetorical, but there's your answer

VA Hopeful Dr

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
for that matter, why should churches?

again, hospitals theoretically offer free care for the indigent. that is the card they always can play. your questions may have been rhetorical, but there's your answer
But we can offer free care as well. In the last 2 years, I've given away 19k in free care. Why can't I either be a non-profit OR write that off my taxes?

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
But we can offer free care as well. In the last 2 years, I've given away 19k in free care. Why can't I either be a non-profit OR write that off my taxes?
Physicians should be able to write off care to nonpaying patients. Hospitals should have the same ability, but I am skeptical of all-out nonprofit status.

Reactions: DrCommonSense