Irvine for sure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catsrule

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools is anyone choosing UC Irvine over?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone go to the revisit day?

Is southern CA weather at Irvine and low tuition worth it over a top 20 school?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI = University of Chinese Immigrants. Enough said :laugh:

They have some fine, sexy hunnies though

Is southern CA weather at Irvine and low tuition worth it over a top 20 school?

Absolutely! Going to school in Newport Beach is about as close to paradise as I can imagine! Also, they have a lecture-based curriculum and none of that PBL garbage to waste your time with.

UCI also jumped about 5+ spots in the US News rankings this year and they are going to make another big jump next year because the research dollars flowing in are increasing dramatically.

How do you know this?
Absolutely! Going to school in Newport Beach is about as close to paradise as I can imagine! Also, they have a lecture-based curriculum and none of that PBL garbage to waste your time with.

UCI also jumped about 5+ spots in the US News rankings this year and they are going to make another big jump next year because the research dollars flowing in are increasing dramatically.

How do you know this?

well....

UCI is around Newport Beach as per the address.

I'm sure they talked about their curriculum at second look

uci18753 clearly has seen the usnwr rankings from last year and this year

and all UC campuses are getting increased research funding year after year

I want to know about future funding and moving up in the rankings part

ok, let me get out my crystal ball :rolleyes:

you can't know for sure anything about USNWR rankings except that harvard and hopkins will be #1 and 2 until the end of time.

besides, about 95% of everything you read on SDN is speculation mixed with hearsay all wrapped up in wishful thinking.

This guy summed it up pretty nicely in the thread about the new US News rankings.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=385075

Re: trends, I keep a large collection of data that examine things like NIH funding and US news stuff over time, in addition to other indicators.

The long-term trends are really interesting if you take the time to examine them. Looking at the data, you can often pinpoint exactly when a school decided to adopt a more academic philosophy, often due to a change in leadership. Typically, the schools that successfully manage to climb up the academic ladder either: A) have monopolies in large markets, B) are clearly distinguished over their peers in very large markets, or C) benefit from outside industrial influences.

The typical school that consistently trends downward is the one that suffers at the hands of a more reputed neighbor in a saturated market. The down-trending schools usually don't have much room to expand and are typically located in the northeast.

The most notable shooting star that continues to be on the upswing, however, is Pittsburgh. It went from merely an above-average academic institution to elite class in a period of about 20 years, thanks in part to sound economic management, a lack of real local competition, and a seismic shift in philosophy. This is a school that will continue to rise -- you can bank on that. Other prominent med schools that are steadily rising and have yet to hit their peaks include Emory and OHSU.

The most under-the-radar rankings-climber this year inhabits the OC. In terms of research dollars, UC Irvine has taken off in an extremely short period of time. Expect a sizeable jump in next year's issue of US news, which will rely heavily on FY 06 and FY 07 awards from the NIH.

Of the schools trending downward, the most prominent is NYU. It went from top 10 in research funding to top 40 (and soon to be top ~45) in a period of about 30 years, and it continues to nosedive in this category at an alarming rate. This is likely a consequence of its location in a saturated market and its inability to expand much more. Other schools that have also fallen hard include Einstein, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Buffalo, Upstate, Albany Med, NYMC, Temple, and UMiss (don't ask me how that one got in there). Pritzker had also been gradually falling until about 10 years ago, when it reversed course and picked up again. It is still, however, a far cry from its previous top ten status.

Finally, despite what's going on in NY, MSSM has steadily risen back to prominence over the past ~10-15 years, and it's climbing even faster today. I don't know much about their location or how they're pulling it off, but it definitely looks like a strong trend.