Is 10 hours a day for 3 weeks enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WinterLights

I have made it halfway through the Kaplan physical sciences (done with general chemistry) and I plan on getting through the biological sciences review chapters shortly. The problem is that I have limited time to study, since my schedule is loaded this semester. In any case, I have gotten a 28 and a 31 on the two practice tests that I've taken. I was wondering if it will be possible to bump that up into the 35 range with about two weeks of intense (10+ hours a day) studying and practice test taking. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the breakdown in your initial scores? I think it's entirely possible...but depends on what's lacking. If it's simple content review, then you should be fine. If it's a bad verbal score, that may be harder (imo).

What's the breakdown in your initial scores? I think it's entirely possible...but depends on what's lacking. If it's simple content review, then you should be fine. If it's a bad verbal score, that may be harder (imo).

Heres the breakdown:

28 (8BS, 10VR, 10PS)
31 (9BS, 11VR, 11PS)

I think I grasp most of the concepts but I still am lacking when it comes to hormones and physiology; as well as a few other things in the BS section. Also, my physics is good but I feel as though I can push it to the next level. I am taking it May 27th and I plan on studying rigorously, 7 days a week, the three weeks leading up to it. If I can pull off a 33, then I will be satisfied. But I am ideally hoping to score 35-37. Maybe this is unrealistic?

I personally think the sciences are "easy" to improve, so it looks like it's possible. Your verbal score is great. But, there's a small problem...those are kaplan tests. Take an aamc to see how you're really doing. (ie within one week, I took a tpr and aamc 3. Though aamc 3 is one of the easier ones, I got a 35. tpr was a 29. completely different scores)

Members don't see this ad :)
it's definitely doable...you'll find yourself improving the most once you actually start taking practice tests consistently (provided you take the time to go over them thoroughly enough). Don't underestimate how difficult it is to study 10 hours a day for 3 weeks though. If you really want to do it set up a schedule that gives you well timed breaks so you don't burn out and stick to it. Also you'll find, particularly with the later AAMCs, that a lot of the bio stuff is passage based. This doesn't necessarily mean it's easier, but it does mean that a lot of practice goes a long way. Good luck.

I did that. I took time off work for a month to study for the MCAT.

However, my weakness is verbal, so actually I haven't seen much improvement in my scores. Science is totally doable. It's all practice. The sciences on the mcat are really just "basic science" worded in a very complex way. Once you start seeing the basic science behind it, your science score will go up significantly.

You are in good shape I. My verbal score actually went down for some reason. i started out with a 9. However, couple practice tests later, it went down to a 5???? and then this week, it went up to around a 7 or 8. I am taking the MCAT tomorrow. 4/18/08. :(.

My sciences, during this month of studying went up from 11s to around 13s, (i break 14s occasionally)

Anyway, good luck on your studying, I am going to stop thinking about the MCAT today and hopefully tomorrow, I will be refreshed enough to do well.

i took kaplan
never did anything other than bs'ing through the "required" stuff, and went to the lectures and took notes.

I started studying 3 weeks ago, about 3 hours a day, and I feel that I am prepared. I did Kaplan FL's and AAMC FL's, used a bit of the Kaplan's Science Review (I got it for free as a promotion), never opened a single kaplan book, but I read through EK gen chem/physics/biology

hoping this sat = not much ochem

Thanks for the insight all. I am feeling like I will at least score a thirty come test time. If I score anywhere near my goal, I will provide some insight after I receive my scores.