is 2.5 years of "gpa comeback" enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentalmouth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, how much GPA repair is "enough" to get one back on level playing ground with the perfect 3.8 cGPA, 22 y/o kiddos? Is there any amount? Could 2-2.5 years of full-time, upper division science courses at a 4.0 be enough to make up for a pretty crap undergrad showing?

I understand that there are so many other factors and variables to consider and I don't want to turn this into a WAMC thread so I'm just thinking, from a adcom perspective, is 2.5 years + a bunch of life experiences enough to "prove" that you've got what it takes to excel in med school? If not, what? 2.5 years post bacc with a 4.0 then an SMP? At what point does your first go round not get looked at as deeply?

I feel like (and I probably only feel this way because it suits my needs) if I were an adcom and I saw a 32 year old who had a 2.6 uGPA but then did 2 or 3 years of 4.0 undergrad work later on, who had lived a full life and then saw a perfect 22 year old who had never lived alone and who had a 3.8, I would perhaps respect them equally or maybe even be more interested in the older applicant who could bring more life experiences to the table.

What do you all think? I'm rambling, I know.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, definitely.

Quick question, how much GPA repair is "enough" to get one back on level playing ground with the perfect 3.8 cGPA, 22 y/o kiddos? Is there any amount? Could 2-2.5 years of full-time, upper division science courses at a 4.0 be enough to make up for a pretty crap undergrad showing?

Yes, definitely.
I understand that there are so many other factors and variables to consider and I don't want to turn this into a WAMC thread so I'm just thinking, from a adcom perspective, is 2.5 years + a bunch of life experiences enough to "prove" that you've got what it takes to excel in med school?

A lot of us also think this way. There are MD schools, and ALL DO schools, that reward reinvention.
I feel like (and I probably only feel this way because it suits my needs) if I were an adcom and I saw a 32 year old who had a 2.6 uGPA but then did 2 or 3 years of 4.0 undergrad work later on, who had lived a full life and then saw a perfect 22 year old who had never lived alone and who had a 3.8, I would perhaps respect them equally or maybe even be more interested in the older applicant who could bring more life experiences to the table.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question, how much GPA repair is "enough"
Go get the 4.0s, or close to it (more As than Bs, no C's or D's and absolutely no F's).

Do very well on MCAT. Apply.

There are many people I know personally (as in not on a forum) who have very poor ugrad grades, have gone out and lived a bit, matured, and gone back. They're now, collectively:

Licensed MD x 3
Licensed DO
MS2 (yeah, I know you read here - you go girl!!!!! <3)
MS1 (starting in August)
MS1 (started in June)
MS3 (top 10 med school)
PGY-3
PGY2

Oh, and there's me. Current applicant. 51. ugrad is maybe 2.2 from 1987. Current: 3.95 or some such thing... or other.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're where I was. Accept that it's financial suicide. A decade from now you'll be making minimum wage as a resident...if everything goes as planned.

You're competing with young, nimble, parent-funded-and-coddled minds for those fresh A's. Did you ever get a 4.0 before? Undergrad science is the graveyard of dreams. Do a warmup class in math or science and get an A before you try a full load.

Doing an SMP helps after doing more undergrad. Basically after a strong fresh undergrad performance, strong MCAT and strong SMP performance you are on a level playing field if you can get reviewer eyeballs.

You need to apply very broadly in order to get those eyeballs looking at you despite cumulatives. Your state's public schools will usually look. DO schools will look.

Best of luck to you.

Look at MD and DO schools and see if you have a preference. DO has grade replacement, which can be a huge plus for those reinventing themselves.

I often hear people who think they'll go back and get a perfect 4.0 but rarely do. You don't have to but you need to get your GPA as high as possible and do well on the MCAT. If you get above a 3.25 ugpa with retakes and do well in required sciences you'll have a good shot a DO. For MD do what Dr Midlife states and you have a shot. Do some reading on SDN to make sure your app is strong in every area.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk