is 2 QBanks in 6 weeks possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingleberry007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it feasible for me to do kaplan qbank and UWorld in 6 weeks? or should I just bite the bullet and do UWorld only?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to do 2 banks in 3 months and got through world and only 40% Kaplan. It's possible if you do ton of questions a day and can review them quickly. I just spent a lot of time reviewing world so didn't reach the goal.

This is only like 100 questions per day, a ton but very duable. Even if you dont complete both you will come close. Good luck

If you havent studied at all I'm not sure I would take on something so ambitious. I think you need a lot of reading and studying when you first start and then you can get into questions and continue studying and going over answers.

If you have been studying and now you feel like you want to focus on questions I think this is absolutely achievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently spoke with a friend who did usmlerx and UW in 4 weeks :eek: with FA and Goljan audio only. He was an average student. He said usmlerx would force himself to look at FA over and over and that UW explanations would help him fill any gaps. He would go back to FA after reading each explanation while in tutor mode.

He ended up getting a score in the upper 80's with 5 weeks prep time total. He did both banks in tutor mode only and then in the last week, timed for 4 block sessions leaving 3 or 4 days left to just scan through FA again. He put in about 12 hours of studying a day for that entire session.

From another post, I found out Kaplan qbank does give references to FA now too.

I think the explanations take a bit a time of reading but he managed doing close to 6000 some questions! His reading indirectly came from going over those explanations. If he can do it, it's possible!

I would definitely go with UW. I bought both q banks last year to prepare for the boards, after taking the test I realized just what a waste of money Kaplan is. Kaplan questions are full of buzz words no longer used by step 1, everyone in my class who used Kaplan agreed this was a major problem with the Q-bank. UW, on the other hand, was very helpful. I’d go so far to say learning the explanations in UW is all you need to get at least an average score on step 1.

Kaplan questions are full of buzz words no longer used by step 1, everyone in my class who used Kaplan agreed this was a major problem with the Q-bank.

Dingle, I can't speak to how the boards compare to Qbank as I have not taken the big guy yet, but I am working my way through Kaplan and finding few buzzwords, little minutia, but much to think about. This board is really negative on the subject, don't let that stop you from dropping into your school's library and looking at the Qbook and deciding for yourself.

As to doing two banks in 6 weeks, if that's what you want, go for it. But consider doing Qbank system based, immediately following what you have just reviewed, to solidify the quote-unqoute minutia, and use the World in random blocks as a review and practise for the mechanics of test taking.

Two cents.

you may be able to do it but reading explanation takes time. you will need to be fast at that.

It does take a while to read through UW's explanations but it can be done in a short time. Everyone has some very different opinions here.

See my earlier post on this same thread about my friend who did 2 (world + rx) in 4 weeks only with FA and Goljan audio. During that time it was 7 days a week from AM-PM@12hrs, NOTHING else.