Is 2 weeks enough time to prepare for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloe paleo

Reaction score
Like the title of this thread states, is 2 weeks enough or am i screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2 weeks is plenty of time. Familiarize yourself with what kind of interview it will be (traditional versus MMI).

If it's traditional, make sure you know your application well and think through answers to all the "common questions" (why medicine, why our school, what are your future plans, etc.) If the school tells you the name of your interviewer beforehand, I would probably do a bit of background research on them too.

If it's MMI, there are several online resources with common questions and strategies.

Regardless of which type of interview it is, I'd also find a current med student or medical professional to do a mock interview with. This will be useful to practice your answers. It's also helpful for getting feedback as to how you come across. This was very helpful for me, as initially I came off as "cold", which I wasn't aware of, and I was able to change my tone and mannerisms a bit to come off as more inviting.

Reactions: 2 users
2 weeks is plenty of time. Familiarize yourself with what kind of interview it will be (traditional versus MMI).

If it's traditional, make sure you know your application well and think through answers to all the "common questions" (why medicine, why our school, what are your future plans, etc.) If the school tells you the name of your interviewer beforehand, I would probably do a bit of background research on them too.

If it's MMI, there are several online resources with common questions and strategies.

Regardless of which type of interview it is, I'd also find a current med student or medical professional to do a mock interview with. This will be useful to practice your answers. It's also helpful for getting feedback as to how you come across. This was very helpful for me, as initially I came off as "cold", which I wasn't aware of, and I was able to change my tone and mannerisms a bit to come off as more inviting.
Thank you, you have some great tips

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell when you interview someone who is just winging it?

I'm not an an adcom, but I do some interviews for work. You can tell when someone's winging it by the fact that they're an interview. Most of it is winging it. There's no way you could possibly know what we're going to ask you. In general prepare for all of the generic med school interview questions, there's probably 10 billion threads here about what the most common interview questions are.

Just write put down some bullet points that generally answer the question and then rehearse it a little bit but not too much, you don't want to sound scripted.
I'd go over the school's website, handbook, review the curriculum, all that nonsense. Then prepare my questions I have for the interviewer and what the answers are. I don't take more than a day or two to prepare for job interviews, but that's just me.

I'd go over the school's website, handbook, review the curriculum, all that nonsense. Then prepare my questions I have for the interviewer and what the answers are. I don't take more than a day or two to prepare for job interviews, but that's just me.

I second this. Also, keep in mind that you will be learning all about the school during the interview day so it is a good idea to keep notes so you can modify questions that you bring. Be flexible.

I was gonna say a day or two, but yea it all depends on you and how much “work” you need. Try to do a mock interview or two from reliable ppl (not just parents/close friends, but ppl who can actually assess your interview skills) and fix any errors. If that part is clear, then just a day or two researching the school

Reactions: 1 users
You do NOT need that much time.

Ive been offered residency interviews with three days notice.

Like the title of this thread states, is 2 weeks enough or am i screwed?
That's more than enough time. Honestly I only prepped the day before and got 3/3. Know your application thoroughly, know about the school by reading up on SDN/their website. Be able to tell them why you want to go there (looking up their residency matches as well as their average board scores/curriculum is a good way to do so. Just relax and be yourself, be able to talk with them and be personable. At KCU I only talked about cookies and barbecue with one of my interviewers and I got accepted.

1-3 days is bare minimum, not to mention weeks. You got this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed- at most you would just need a few days to go over main talking points and common questions (why medicine, tell me about yourself, why our school). If you really want to, you can try to rehearse your answer but you also want to be able to rehearse without sounding like an actor.

If it's an MMI, there's not too much you can do to prepare other than familiarize yourself with the format.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Agreed- at most you would just need a few days to go over main talking points and common questions (why medicine, tell me about yourself, why our school). If you really want to, you can try to rehearse your answer but you also want to be able to rehearse without sounding like an actor.

If it's an MMI, there's not too much you can do to prepare other than familiarize yourself with the format.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
what are some big topics to research? like opioid crisis? abortion? End of life care?? would you be able to mention some?

what are some big topics to research? like opioid crisis? abortion? End of life care?? would you be able to mention some?

This is going to sound rude...just know I don’t mean it that way. Don’t you have an opinion on these things? You don’t have to know everything about a news topic, just have an opinion and be willing to politely stand by it, while also considering others’ points of view.

If you get thrown a curveball, simply say, “I don’t know much about that topic.” Better to be honest and say you don’t know than try to BS an interviewer.

What is happening? You guys are hurting my head. On no planet, ever, would 2 weeks not be sufficient lead time for an interview. Ever. There is no such thing as "winging it." The opposite of that is being rehearsed to the point that they reject you before you leave town. Preparation is about learning about the school, the curriculum, and why you'd be a good fit. Maybe come up with a specific interest you have. Done. Everything should be genuine and things that you discuss because they're true, not things you rehearse ahead of time so the words come out in proper sequence. Believe me, interviewers know when you've rehearsed your answers.

In terms of what's going on in the field of medicine, if you don't already know about abortion and the opioid crisis, you have a lot of catching up to do. These topics should not be things you're totally unfamiliar with and if they are, I'd make sure you learn about them ASAP.

This is going to sound rude...just know I don’t mean it that way. Don’t you have an opinion on these things? You don’t have to know everything about a news topic, just have an opinion and be willing to politely stand by it, while also considering others’ points of view.

If you get thrown a curveball, simply say, “I don’t know much about that topic.” Better to be honest and say you don’t know than try to BS an interviewer.
Im from Canada so I was thinking about things more about how they are in the states. Like marijuana, etc

Like US laws

What is happening? You guys are hurting my head. On no planet, ever, would 2 weeks not be sufficient lead time for an interview. Ever. There is no such thing as "winging it." The opposite of that is being rehearsed to the point that they reject you before you leave town. Preparation is about learning about the school, the curriculum, and why you'd be a good fit. Maybe come up with a specific interest you have. Done. Everything should be genuine and things that you discuss because they're true, not things you rehearse ahead of time so the words come out in proper sequence. Believe me, interviewers know when you've rehearsed your answers.

In terms of what's going on in the field of medicine, if you don't already know about abortion and the opioid crisis, you have a lot of catching up to do. These topics should not be things you're totally unfamiliar with and if they are, I'd make sure you learn about them ASAP.
Do you think it's worth researching some of the legislation revolving the opiod crisis in America? I'm from Canada but wondering about this

Most laws are state specific here...only the really big stuff gets laws for the whole country. No medical school is going to expect you to know the laws for a specific state.

Opioids are bad and many people are addicted, marijuana is legal in a few states but I would steer clear of supporting what is an illicit drug in most states.

Most US citizens don’t know their own laws.

Being from Canada it is probably much more likely that you will be asked: "Why should/shouldn't the US adopt the Canadian healthcare system?"

I haven't been asked about healthcare policy or the healthcare system in any of my interviews yet.

I'm almost positive you will be asked why you want to come to an American medical over a Canadian one.

I'm almost positive you will be asked why you want to come to an American medical over a Canadian one.
Should I be honest and say I dont meet cut offs for Canadian schools but I dont want marks to stop me from my goal of becoming a physician?

From experience: If you find data about the school’s board scores and they dipped in pass rates over the recent years and this school grants an interview, don’t ask about it lol. Comes off as confrontational. I was a little confident though since I came in having already had an acceptance to another school in the bag. Stupid. Cost me in-state tuition. It’s fine though, I like my current school lol.

Should I be honest and say I dont meet cut offs for Canadian schools but I dont want marks to stop me from my goal of becoming a physician?

You should always be honest. You also should not say that.

Presumably there is something about the US or their school that you like?

You should always be honest. You also should not say that.

Presumably there is something about the US or their school that you like?
Would it be fine if I say that but then extend it with specific things I like about the school?

Would it be fine if I say that but then extend it with specific things I like about the school?

no, don’t talk about not being good enough for Canadian schools

Do you think it's worth researching some of the legislation revolving the opiod crisis in America? I'm from Canada but wondering about this

If any school asks you about legislation revolving around the opioid crisis in America, name and shame them here. You won't get asked that. At most, you'll be asked about issues in vague ways and all you'll be expected to know is prescribing controlled substances willy nilly = bad. You might be asked about the Canadian healthcare system and your experience and/or should the U.S. adopt a similar system.

Can you tell when you interview someone who is just winging it?
Sometimes the ability to BS an answer to an off the wall question is an asset.

Everything will depend upon the question and/or context. If you're asked a question that requires clinical insight (let say, on abortion or organ donation ethics) of course you're winging it.

But sometimes, there are questions where the person should know an answer, and they try to BS, and you can tell right away.