Is 24 Schools too Much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got my list down to 24, and really would like to keep it there. I love all of these schools. Is that too many? If it is a can cut down, but I'd prefer not to considering I'd like to include quite a few mid-tiers.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think "too much" is relative and depends mainly on two factors in my opinion: if you're willing to throw more money away than you probably need to and if you think you'll be able to complete secondaries for 24 different schools in a limited amount of time without burning out.

Of course, the more schools you apply to, the somewhat better chance you have to getting an interview/admission if you have decent stats and all. But 24 might be slightly excessive and, in my opinion, should maybe narrowed down to about 20, so that you could use some extra time to focus on secondaries for schools at which you feel you have the best chance/are most interested in.

I haven't gone through the application process yet so this is all just an opinion. So it may be of more value to get opinions for those who've gone through it. Most of all, do what you think best suits you. If you have the time and money, applying to more schools doesn't hurt. You never know if one of the schools you left out may have accepted you. And also be sure that the schools you do aply to are not only top-tier.

24 isn't too many. The real question is if you can complete 24 quality secondaries in a timely manner. It really starts to wear you down once you are around 15 in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to get closer to 20ish. I feel like I actually have to many lower ranked schools, but everyone says a ton of them are absolutely necessary. Takes away from applying to some of the ones I'd like though.

Dont stress yourself out too much. Take time and actually research them.

Are secondaries really that hard? Most of them seem about 1 or 2 paragraphs long save for the occasional 2 page one.

Also, it depends on where you are from in terms of residency. I am a California resident with average stats. Really, us Californians do not have a state school that we can count on since University of California medical schools do not give in-staters any advantage for admission and they generally have higher average statistics for their entering classes. For this reason, we tend to have to apply to more schools than students from other states. My colleagues and I averaged at about 25 schools, some going up to 30+. Personally, I applied to 27 and was able to finish all my secondaries by first week of August. As mentioned above, secondaries become extremely tedious as you keep doing them and it definitely took a lot of will power to keep myself going at times. But in the end, it made me feel better knowing I gave myself the best chance for admission. Good luck with your decision!

24 is high,but still ok. 30 is when it starts to become questionably high

Thanks for all the help guys. I just really like the list I've got, and have put hours into making/researching it. Fortunately I'll be working close to exclusively on secondaries at the time, so it seems tough but doable.

Hey guys,

I've got my list down to 24, and really would like to keep it there. I love all of these schools. Is that too many? If it is a can cut down, but I'd prefer not to considering I'd like to include quite a few mid-tiers.

Thanks

No. Not at all. IMO, that is a perfect number.

I'm looking for the 15-20 range, between finances and time spent on secondaries I don't think I could possibly do 30. My strategy will be quality over quantity, but this isn't cut and dry - there's quite a bit of gray area.

If you are thinking of doing 25-30 then I hope for your sake you start pre-writing secondaries, I couldn't imagine potentially getting dumped with 15-20 in one day.

24 is a good number. Now that I think of it, I think that is how many I am applying to. I think it's pretty critical if you have below average-average stats (like me!). Also, though I wouldn't advise putting too much weight on this factor, not all schools have secondaries with essays.

Thanks for everything guys, I'm actually hugely encouraged now by all the support.