Is 30 too old to get started

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get opinions from others to see if med school is a dream or if I should pursue it.

I am currently in grad school for my MBA (3.6gpa), have a finance undergrad (3.5gpa), need to complete my pre-req's, take the mcat, work on EC's, etc. If it is possible, what is a reasonable time to be in a position to apply, could I be ready to apply in 2006 if I worked my butt off on pre-req's, mcat study, ec's, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

capone2975 said:
Just wanted to get opinions from others to see if med school is a dream or if I should pursue it.

I am currently in grad school for my MBA (3.6gpa), have a finance undergrad (3.5gpa), need to complete my pre-req's, take the mcat, work on EC's, etc. If it is possible, what is a reasonable time to be in a position to apply, could I be ready to apply in 2006 if I worked my butt off on pre-req's, mcat study, ec's, etc.?
no way. I have a 46 year old coming into my class. he's goin for his dream.

capone2975 said:

I am 30 and was just accepted into a great program... My undergrad was in business admin and I worked in the IT industry since graduation (minus prereq time). It isn't too late to get started at all, its very doable. Take the courses at a respectable university and get As, do well on the mcat, work in a lab/volunteer in health field, get good LORs from above folks. Do all that and you can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to throw these out there too - 2 of my classmates were 38 and 49 upon matriculating at med school, and one was a teacher (non-science).

yes, if you worked your butt off you could be ready to apply in 2006. but with no prereqs so far, you'd probably need to do it more or less full time.

Does having an MBA help at all? It will be from a top 30 program. I am just concerned with my EC's and MCAT score so hopefully having an MBA will help. maybe just wishful thinking:)

it is definitely not early but not old either.
i think you still have a very good chance.
10-20 years ago, may be, you would have been considered too old, but not anymore.
I read a newspaper article that because of social security problem and aging population, the retirement age would be increased to 70-75 by the year 2020.

so pursue your dream!!

capone2975 said:

If you had exposure to science courses in high school or college, you may be able to pull it off, but you are young yet. Give yourself 2 years to complete your prerequisities and take the MCAT. Remember, ECs come second to grades and MCAT.

capone2975 said:

Being in your early 30's is no problem at all. I'll be turning 31 about two months after I start my first year and I've already received a couple of acceptances (as an Economics Major). As for when you can expect to apply, my guess would be 2007. You'll need to get 1 year of Physics (depending on your school, maybe even a semester of calculus as a pre-req for physics), O-chem, Gen chem and Bio under your belt. Taking these classes simultaneously is possible during the Fall 2005-Spring 2006 sequence, but the problem you'll run into is the fact that they all need to have labs, which often are at the same time and so scheduling would be a real bitch. Also, some schools won't let you into O-chem until after you've completed at least the first semester of Gen chem, but you could try. You could then study for the MCAT over the summer and take the August one. However, this would put you at a big disadvantage (unless you rock the MCAT) in that application cycle. I'm not saying it's not possible, as many have taken this route before, but I would be conservative and plan on 2007 (believe me, this will still be work). This way you can take the April MCAT and apply at the earliest date possible. Schools won't really differentiate too much between 31 or 32 or 33 when you apply. Good luck!

capone2975 said:
Just wanted to get opinions from others to see if med school is a dream or if I should pursue it.QUOTE]

I am 28 right now, applying this year to matriculate 2006 - birthday in September - so: no, 30 is a great time!

Just like the work-energy theorem - the path doesn't matter, where you start and where you end up does!

This is how you should do it:
Summer 1:
(calculus if you need it)
Chem 1
Summer 2:
Chem 2
Fall:
Ochem 1
Bio
Phys
Spring:
Ochem 2
Bio 2
Phys 2
Kaplan or something and take the April MCAT.. good for you, it will all be fresh

Get your recs in order.. preferably some from your profs from this year
Get really good grades to show you can handle the sciences
I took the classes at an ok local state school and got a 4.0 and a good MCAT and I got into a good state school.

Oh, and be prepared to answer the question, why? You will be VERY tired of answering it by the time this process is through.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD'05 said:
If you had exposure to science courses in high school or college, you may be able to pull it off, but you are young yet. Give yourself 2 years to complete your prerequisities and take the MCAT. Remember, ECs come second to grades and MCAT.

30 is not even close to too old to start. But if you haven't done the prereqs and MCAT it's not really recommended for you to try to be ready to apply in 2006. Even if you are a very quick study in sciences, you'd need to take two semesters of gen chem (plus labs) crammed into the coming summer (in an accellerated form) and then Bio, Physics, Orgo (all plus labs) and study for the MCAT simultaneously during the academic year to take the April MCAT (and not even have finished any of the classes by the time you take the test), or alternatively take two of those courses during the academic year and another of those two semester subjects crammed into the second summer to finish in time for August MCAT (which will make you a later applicant -- a disadvantage). And all this assumes you already have two semesters of math (or for many schools calculus -- as a finance major I suspect you do), and two semesters of English. Unless you are a really good science student this accellerated path is probably not the best idea. MBA (finance) classes are quite easy compared to science classes, and having never taking a college science course, it is not advisable to start off with an accellerated one... And you are going to need health related ECs to justify your career path change -- have you worked in a hospital/shadowed physicians? If not, you will need to be doing this over the next year as well. Thus I would consider making this a two year endeavor, and ideally do it in a postbac program. But no, age is not going to be a factor.

I am 33 and start Med in the Fall. I know a 2nd year that is 41...and he is not the oldest

dude check out the Non trad forum on SDN. u'll get a lot of useful info there.

I'll be 36 shortly after I start med school this fall. Soon-to-be former science teacher with pretty crummy undergrad GPA, good MCAT (34R), and no clinical experience in the traditional sense.

Oui, c'est possible.

I sure hope it isn't too old or I have wasted a whole lot of time! I'm 30 plus and applying for 2006. I think age really is a number and it all depends on what type of person you are, your motivations, life experiences, etc. More and more people over 30 are being accepted into medical school. 40 plus isn't even out of the question. So, if this is your dream, then go for it. :D

I'll be 32 next month and I'm starting med school in August.

MD'05 said:

I second this... You'll want two years for good ECs and the courses you'll need. Don't try to cram it in one year. As for your MBA, on the surface it doesn't help much but you can turn it into a big plus.

On edit:
Here's my two cents -- The key to a successful app is creating a narrative explaining your desire to be a physician. The story should come through in your personal statements, ECs, academic and professional history. If you are disillusioned with business after working on your MBA, change tacks and get an unrelated job/volunteer in the health field. If you see incredible opportunity for an MBA grad in medicine, act on it. In either case, be prepared to point to your app and say "I believe X and therefore I did this and this and this".

Good luck!

MD'05 said:

I agree, better to find something meaniful and something you enjoy, rather than rushing and doing a poor job. Remember, rushing makes things more difficult and the prereq are not hard, but do take a lot of work and the MCAT is both luck and hard work, and EC are a lot of time and work, so I think it would be 2 years is good. I think rushing your way through it, And I believe you could do it, but I think you would face a lot of unnecessary hardship and strife doing it that way. Take the time. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken my time and most of all never have listened to anyone eles advice. In fact, really you shouldn't even being taking this advice... Good Luck and find something you enjoy, not what you think med schools or other people think you should do necessarily.

Thank you everyone!!!! I am starting to look at post bacc programs and it seems like taking an extra year to make the app stronger is the sensible thing to do. I am glad to see there are some "older" people in med school.

I am 30 also and start in August. I don't feel at any disadvantage, on the contrary, I feel much more grounded and prepared than I did when I started undergrad in my twenties.

I'm in same situation. 26 y/o graduating with MBA this summer and then going to a post bacc program. I suggest you check out the post-bacc forum for information and non-traditional forum for support. There are plenty of others out there like yourself. Just make sure you show your commitment to medicine through activities (EC's) and your grades are pretty competitive. Do well on prereqs and MCAT and you are fine. Some schools do require other upper level bios so make sure to check what your school that you'd like to attend requires.

I took one more year than you're proposing, because I wanted to keep working full time to support my family. I started in summer 2002 at the age of 34, finished my prereqs and took the April 2004 MCAT, and then applied last summer. I'm in at 6 schools, including a top 20.

heeter said:
The key to a successful app is creating a narrative explaining your desire to be a physician. The story should come through in your personal statements, ECs, academic and professional history.
Exactly right. The focus in my personal statement and all of my interviews has been on the journey I have taken to get to this point. And clearly that worked. ZAZA67401 suggests that you take a little more time in order to add clinical experience to your resume. I agree that clinical experience with patient contact is critical to both application success and to understanding exactly what you're getting into. Good luck!

I'm 30, and will take the MCAT in 4 weeks. I hope to get in somewhere for 06.

Remember, if you still need to sell a house or something, you can start by taking 2 classes until you sell. Once you unload some of your financial baggage, you can think about quitting your job so that you can pound out the pre-req's. If you want it, just say F..k it and do it.

Just an echo of all of the posts here. Yes, you can do it in one year, but you might actually hurt your chances by not doing as well. Plus, if you come from a business background, it is a MUST for you to do a good bit of health-care based volunteering / shadowing to demonstrate that you know what you are getting yourself into. If you do your pre-reqs in 2 years, this gives you time to focus on your studies, blow the MCAT away, and still have time to volunteer and shadow. I'm 31 now, and as was mentioned before, schools don't make a disctinction between 31, 32, 33.
Also, check out www. oldpremeds.net. It has lots of great info. and people on it, especially on the forums. The support system the undergrads sometimes take for granted (pre-med advisors, etc.) isn't there a lot of times for non-trads, so a forum like oldpremeds really helps out.
Anyway, there's my $.02.
--ah1120

U R never too old.......but I know I could never do it if I was 30.........so to u I take my hat off!

I personally would give it a miss. By the time you have spent mountains of money on your postbac program + living expenses, taken lots of time trying to guarentee you ace the MCAT you will already be in lots of debt. You still will not be guarenteed a place in medical school and once you get in, you will be racking up more and more and more and more debt. By the time, you graduate you will probably die of a heart-attack worrying about how you will pay back all that money and support your family.

If you do try and study medicine, try and figure out a way to do it cheaply. Like move to a different country where its not as expensive as the uS

Well damn dude....talk about being pessimistic....u r on that thin line between practical and pessissistic (spelling off).

No, your not to old...

I am 32 and have quite a road ahead of me before I can apply.

agape
---------
Benign . . . . . . . . . . . What you be, after you be eight
CAT Scan. . . . . . . . . . . Searching for Kitty
Congenital . . . . . . . . . . . Friendly
Labour Pain . . . . . . . . . Getting hurt at work
Outpatient . . . . . . . . . A person who has fainted
Rectum . . . . . . . . . . . Damn near killed him

:p

That strange combination of pessimism and cysticism. :laugh:

C. Ronaldo said:
I personally would give it a miss. By the time you have spent mountains of money on your postbac program + living expenses, taken lots of time trying to guarentee you ace the MCAT you will already be in lots of debt. You still will not be guarenteed a place in medical school and once you get in, you will be racking up more and more and more and more debt. By the time, you graduate you will probably die of a heart-attack worrying about how you will pay back all that money and support your family.

If you do try and study medicine, try and figure out a way to do it cheaply. Like move to a different country where its not as expensive as the uS

Well, this may be the dumbest post I've seen on SDN in quite a while -- congrats.. Many older premeds have had years of income earning years and are in a much better position to pay for this endeavor than recent college grads who have yet to pay back their Staffords. But even so, most older premeds will have thought through the process and its costs much more completely than a 21 year old. I suggest that you, C. Ronaldo, spend more time worrying about your own finances.

MD'05 said:
That strange combination of pessimism and cysticism. :laugh:

:laugh: I knew i was in for that....what is the right word to use in that case though. :cool:

:barf: :wow:

I will be turning 36 in the fall of my first year. There are lots of people even older than me (hard to believe) who begin a second career in medicine. Schools are actually starting to look more and more favorably on non-traditional students, especially the D.O. schools.

The thing that jumps out at me about your very brief profile is that you have done nothing but business (finance as an undergrad and now MBA). You will have to convince the ADCOM's that you were on the wrong path and have had the revelation that medicine in your calling. Why is it? How can you demonstrate that? Your grades are good. You will need good grades in the pre-reqs and a good MCAT score (30 and above is GREAT, especially if it is balanced). But more importantly in your case, I believe, you will need to demonstrate your commitment and understanding of medicine through lots of volunteer time and clinical exposure. So during the year or two of course work, you ought to be spending your free time building up your other qualifications.

Good luck! It took me several years to get where I am, but I know this is what I want to do. I couldn't be happier. Go for it.

Well, this may be the dumbest post I've seen on SDN in quite a while -- congrats..

Firstly, who cares what you think.

Secondly.

Lets be realistic. Its not a good idea that he goes to med school. I bet our friend Suze Orman would agree. Its a waste of financial resources. His money would be better spent elsewhere. Maybe people who are dirty money-grubbing lawyers can save enough money to pay for it. Law2Doc, I suggest you stop suggesting to others what they should suggest to other people, and concentrate on suggesting to yourself how not to be such a greedy scab. Its appalling to think you are going to become a doctor to make money from the sick, after having a career making money off the unfortunate.

C. Ronaldo said:
Firstly, who cares what you think.

Secondly.

Lets be realistic. Its not a good idea that he goes to med school. I bet our friend Suze Orman would agree. Its a waste of financial resources. His money would be better spent elsewhere. Maybe people who are dirty money-grubbing lawyers can save enough money to pay for it. Law2Doc, I suggest you stop suggesting to others what they should suggest to other people, and concentrate on suggesting to yourself how not to be such a greedy scab. Its appalling to think you are going to become a doctor to make money from the sick, after having a career making money off the unfortunate.

You are the one who is focussed on money, my friend -- perhaps you should re-read your prior post. I won't even address the rest of your post because it is so far off the mark.

If it’s truly your passion...then you are never too old to do it. I am 28 and applying to medical school this year and I have been on this road for a while...

I would recommend that you don’t give into the pressure to applying ASAP because of your age. I’ve been pre-med since high school so I know the feeling of "OMG I have to do this NOW because I will be XX when I graduate medical school!" Instead let age an advantage and figure out your strategy. The ultimate goal is to have the best grades and MCAT scores so that you can get to the stage where Non-trads can shine (talking about our wealth of experiences).

For anyone applying to medical school and especially someone changing careers you have to show your motivation for choosing medical school and have the experience (clinical or volunteering) to show why.

As for your MBA there are plenty of combined MD/MBA programs out there. I would check out the websites to get a feel for the opportunities for people with your background.

optimistique said:
If it’s truly your passion...then you are never too old to do it. I am 28 and applying to medical school this year and I have been on this road for a while...

I would recommend that you don’t give into the pressure to applying ASAP because of your age. I’ve been pre-med since high school so I know the feeling of "OMG I have to do this NOW because I will be XX when I graduate medical school!" Instead let age an advantage and figure out your strategy. The ultimate goal is to have the best grades and MCAT scores so that you can get to the stage where Non-trads can shine (talking about our wealth of experiences).

For anyone applying to medical school and especially someone changing careers you have to show your motivation for choosing medical school and have the experience (clinical or volunteering) to show why.

As for your MBA there are plenty of combined MD/MBA programs out there. I would check out the websites to get a feel for the opportunities for people with your background.

briefly:

- take the time you need to be the best applicant you can be. If you rush and don't succeed, you'll either need to take an additional year and re-apply, or you'll give up your dream. Seems better to take more time in the first place.

-ten years from now you will either be:

A) ten years older AND a doctor
B) ten years older and regretting that you didn't follow your dream

Either way, you will be ten years older!

pessissistic :p

I am gonna use that one....

So you are saying this person should not follow a dream because of advice from SUZE ORMAN!!!!! She sold out when she started doing commercials for GMC.

"O% my arse!"

HAAAAAAAAAAA.............

Even Suze has said that debt for education is well spent. It's not like the OP is buying a Hummer (with sweet rims)!

Keep putting 4k a year in a Roth IRA through med school and you can still retire without eating dog food.

Thanks everyone for the info and encouragement. I am going to take 2 years to apply, for many of the reasons people mentioned above.

As for not applying b/c of the financial burden, it is definitely something to think about. I believe though, you have to take risks in life and go after what you really want. If everyone thought about the debt they would accumulate b/c of school, then they wouldn't be going to school. If I am not mistaken, there are programs out there that will repay your student loans if you are a doctor.

30's not too old. Just make sure your grades and MCAT are okay. A friend started med school at 39 and Im starting this fall at 31. If you want it, go for it. Just think that you'll be practicing for at least another 25 years. Good Luck.

capone2975 said:

That's your dream dude, why even ask that question. There is a 57 year old first year at UMich.

Bigsheed920 said:
:laugh: I knew i was in for that....what is the right word to use in that case though. :cool:

:barf: :wow:

I think you mean pessimistic ... that's ok though, I really like the word (and was not making fun) and will use it just to see if others start using it :laugh:

Crete said:
That's your dream dude, why even ask that question. There is a 57 year old first year at UMich.

U of Michigan MEDICAL SCHOOL?????? The 57 year old must have a Nobel prize in Medicine or Physics

Crete said:

Wow....I'm not even mad....that's amazing....you know I dont speak Spanish! English please! Had to get that out....for real though, that is amazing, and crazy at the same time

You are the one who is focussed on money, my friend -- perhaps you should re-read your prior post. I won't even address the rest of your post because it is so far off the mark.

I read it my post - it does not illustrate an individual who is focussed on money. Also, I am not your friend. If I wanted to befriend cockroaches I would hang around the local sewer.

C. Ronaldo said:
I read it my post - it does not illustrate an individual who is focussed on money. Also, I am not your friend. If I wanted to befriend cockroaches I would hang around the local sewer.

:barf::wow: