Is 3rd week of June too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shlongstar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've always heard that it is best to apply as early as possible, which would be June 1st. However, I go to a school in a quarter system and our spring quarter doesn't end until mid-June. Assuming I get good grades that quarter, is it good or bad to wait for my grades to come in around the third week of June to turn in my AMCAS? Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That should be fine because it is still early in the game, but if you are freakin' about it, just send it in early and then send an updated transcript when you get your grades.

Wooo is right - it will not make a significant difference if you wait until your grades are posted from the spring quarter. He also rightly suggests that if you are so worried (and pre-med students do tend to be a neurotic lot
wink.gif
) go ahead and Fed EX that packet on May 31 and send in the updated transcript as soon as it becomes available.

When you hear people talk about applying "late" they're referring to October/November, etc. applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies, and yeah... I am neurotic
smile.gif

So if I turn in my app on June 1st, they'll update it as soon as I turn in my updated grades after Spring quarter, and colleges will see them right away, right?

Thanks again

Originally posted by shlongstar:
Thanks for your replies, and yeah... I am neurotic
smile.gif

So if I turn in my app on June 1st, they'll update it as soon as I turn in my updated grades after Spring quarter, and colleges will see them right away, right?

Thanks again

Within reason - I don't know what the "turn around" time is for AAMCAS for updating schools with your new transcript, but would imagine it would be relatively soon (probably in the order of 3-4 weeks) and certainly within the time frame to still maintain your competitive edge.

For someone who admits to being neurotic your Username bespeaks of confidence in other areas - remember we are a "family forum" here, with impressionable HS students trolling...
wink.gif

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but I thought AMCAS only accepts one set of transcripts??? I would really check on that because that was my impression when I was applying.

Also, when I was applying I spoke with some admissions people and they said unless you are an absolute ideal applicant, the best time to turn in the AMCAS is between June 15 to July 15. Because all the mother theresa's and saints turn theirs in on June 1st and they're sure to get in. So I guess you don't want to be compared to them right off the bat.

I turned mine in June twenty-something. And I got all my secondaries before the end of the summer and all of my interviews done before Christmas. So there's definitely nothing wrong with mid-June. (I also go to a quarter school).

Check on that transcript issue and good luck!

Remember they start accepting transcripts in mid March I believe!

Thanks for all of your help. I'll be sure to check on the transcript thing with my counselors. Regarding my alias, sorry... it's just a name I've had since highschool.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by jimi:
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but I thought AMCAS only accepts one set of transcripts??? I would really check on that because that was my impression when I was applying.

Since you are much more recently acquainted with this issue than I you are more likely to be right (although wooo should know as well). Serves me right for trying to dispense pre-med advice with this old and failin' memory! Thanks for clarifying or at least raising the issue that we may be incorrect.

He could be right

I forwarded mine directly to the school.

sorry for the possible bad info