Is 4-6 weeks enough notice for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jueves

#FreeJueves
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my prof for a LOR and asked to have it submitted by June 2nd, is it too short of a notice? What is common etiquette for time?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked my prof for a LOR and asked to have it submitted by June 2nd, is it too short of a notice? What is common etiquette for time?
The general rule is the earlier you ask, the better. If your professor has agreed to write one for you, just give them friendly reminders about it every 3-4 weeks or so. Some professors can be very busy so it slips their minds.

Honestly it just depends, I had a professor who i asked for a letter of rec and he gave me one in 2 days, which was so quick i didn't trust it and didn't use it lol. I also had my mentor and research PI who agreed enthusiastically to write me a letter, and never got to it, even after i reminded them for several months.

Professors are busy, that much is unanimous, but after that it just depends on the individual.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Professors procrastinate just as much as we do. However, the earlier you tell them and have to remind them, the worse they feel about blowing it off and will do it when prompted a couple times haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah, some profs and supervisors take MONTHS. My app got held up until past October for the LORs even though everything was submitted in July.

Choose wisely and send them frequent reminders!!

Honestly it just depends, I had a professor who i asked for a letter of rec and he gave me one in 2 days, which was so quick i didn't trust it and didn't use it lol. I also had my mentor and research PI who agreed enthusiastically to write me a letter, and never got to it, even after i reminded them for several months.

Professors are busy, that much is unanimous, but after that it just depends on the individual.

The opening line on that letter probably went like this: "This letter serves as a recommendation for [insert student name here]." ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, so the main theme I'm getting here is it depends but for the most part 4-6 weeks isn't bad, choose wisely, and keep reminding your profs. Hopefully the ones I asked will come through.

I asked 2-3 months before the application was open.

I asked one of my professors to write me a rec letter a few months before I needed it. He told me yes, but to send him an email reminder the day before I needed it, because he planned on writing it the night before

3 months with biweekly reminders