Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is 40 post-secondary experiences too many?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LovetoBE MD, Sep 18, 2001.

1. LovetoBE MD

LovetoBE MD Junior Member

Hey all--
    I just counted all of my post secondary experiences...and there are 40!!! Is that too many? I went to college for six years, and did alot...all of the items that I listed in the post-sec are LEGITIMATE things that I did for the entire time I was in college...so what should I do?
    How many did other people list?
    --thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I doubt that any admissions officer is going to take the time to read through 40 different post-sec experiences, so pick out the 10 or so that are most meaningful to you. Just my thoughts...

4. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many. Would you want to wade through that? Neither does Jane Q. Committee-Member. Cut 50-70%. --Trek

5. johnthestreak

johnthestreak master of disaster

Resident [Any Field]
    are you ******ed?

6. Actually highlight the most important ones....any number from 20 to 32 is very good....remember, you want to touch on ALL your good points....and if the ad com doesnt have time to read it...then their not giving yoru application the amount its due :D

7. girl

girl Member

20 to 32??!! Are you serious? An average admissions committee has 3,000 applications to read and review-- rec letters, secondaries, plus AMCAS personal statements, essay etc. I highly doubt they will give serious consideration to any more than the first ten. Also, if you list even 20 post-sec experiences, it will devalue each of them b/c they will be skimmed over instead of read carefully. I'm sure each application gets the same amount of time, and that just takes away from time they could spend carefully reviewing the extremely important stuff you did...

8. MorningLight210

Hey everyone, go easy on the OP. It's a perfectly valid question...we don't know enough about this person's application to judge so quickly. Med schools are completely aware of "extracurric inflation," and I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who reads over an application when this is the case. These applications are probably the ones that would be skimmed. But some people have resumes that are just PACKED with awesome experiences! Should they pare down and not even mention some so they won't overburden admissions officers??? With the competition in this process, I would certainly hope not! I can completely understand if the extracurrics were a whole lot of nothing. But I'd also imagine that admissions officers go through such lists frequently, and if they were to come upon a really substantial list of extracurrics, that you could just tell from the descriptions were meaningful, and there was an entire PAGE of them...wouldn't the committee be impressed? In fact, wouldn't they welcome such a list?

To the OP: avoid experiences that seem like you're stretching just to add another one on & beef up the CV. If you have a large number, and they're HONESTLY very impressive, then don't eliminate some for fear of a space limit. However, if there are some that are less important...for example, it was mentioned earlier that including Dean's List, let alone listing it FOUR TIMES, might not be especially helpful...then I'd say edit and eliminate what you can.

Good luck in applying!

9. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

I listed 9 post extracurrics on mine. I think the average may be somewhere around 20. I can't fathom anyone having 40 legit post extracurrics. I think there is definetly a limit to how "well-rounded" and "involved" we were during college. We also need time for ourselves and friends and family and I can't see being significantly involved in 40 activities without taking time from friends and family and even myself.

If you ask me, I would bring out the hair clipper and trim that puppy down to < or = to 30.

10. lamyers

lamyers Senior Member

A friend of mine didn't get in last year with great stats. He literally has done a lot, (minor rock star, pilot, etc.) He had about 30+ listed and a few expressed concern that he didn't know what he wanted to do since he had done so much. This year he trimmed it down to medical/science related only. Just a thought...

11. mdtrauma

mdtrauma Junior Member

Keep it to about 10, any more, then the adcom will figure you're too obnoxious and will throw out the whole thing. There's an admissions director that used to throw out apps that had fonts of 8 pt or below b/c these people were trying to fit in as much extra-curric stuff as possible. Keep it to a min. 40 is just too much and may jeopardize your chances. Besides, you'll have to pay postage on that when sending your hard copy to the schools!

12. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I doubt more than 10 experiences will be seen as obnoxious if they're all relevant. I had 25 and schools haven't thrown me out. As for the OP, just trim out the ones that aren't completely necessary, or condense some if they're related. Forty is indeed a bit too much.

Andrew

13. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member

LOL!!! I agree that 40 post secondary experiences is superfluous. It sounds a bit inflated when you say you have done all of these during your college career. How would you have time to maintain 40 things??

14. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior

I think Morninglight gave the OP the best advice. Anyone that thinks rigid formulas apply to med school admissions is fooling themselves. Arguing by examples in this process is also ridiculous. Other than that I cant add anything to morninglight's post. Go with her's and please try to forget the others. No offense intended guys :D :p

15. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

the advice given so far is good, nothing to +

yet, I want to point out to people that many of the categories for EC's were things like publications, conferences, awards etc. One time things, or EC's that overlap one time committment. For example:

-Undergrad Research Scholar [98-02]
    -Research in SupraMolecular chemistry [06/00-05/02]
    -published in Chem. Communication [8/01]
    -published in Journal of Chem assoc. [8/01]

... this was a fictional example, but you see how one substantial time commitment can easily be stretched into 5+ listings?

As future professionals that will be calm and calculated when diagnosing, dont diagnose LovetoBE MD retarted until all the vital signs have been checked (ok, I took the analogy too far with that last one) ;)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. I think it depends on the situation. I sumbitted over 30, but 12 of them were publications - easy to wade through.

18. Resident Alien

The associate dean of CWRU was lamenting about this very issue when i spoke with him. From what I gathered, a lot of experiences (and 40 is beyond that) can cast doubt. They need meaningful experiences that prove that you have had contact with people, and just that.