is 6 recs too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering- don't want to be that kid who bombards them w/ recs.
i have
-two from sci profs
-one from research (doctor)
-one from volunteer exp- Hispanic clinic (doctor)
-one from philosophy prof
-one from spanish prof

should I cut the spanish prof, even though I'm a Spanish major? (The philosophy prof's one is stellar, so I don't want to lose that one).

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're fine with 6 recs, but you should double check with the school first since some of them do have limits. They usually have it listed on their website or on the secondary application. Also, a lot of schools require that one recommendation be from your major, so I wouldn't drop the Spanish one.

6 recs are good. Most will ask for 5-6 letters max so I just submitted the max each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmph, a lot of schools I looked at ask that I send no more than the required number :/

kings2 said:
just wondering- don't want to be that kid who bombards them w/ recs.
i have
-two from sci profs
-one from research (doctor)
-one from volunteer exp- Hispanic clinic (doctor)
-one from philosophy prof
-one from spanish prof

should I cut the spanish prof, even though I'm a Spanish major? (The philosophy prof's one is stellar, so I don't want to lose that one).

you're dirtier than flies circling on a mexican.

It depends on the school and the content of the letters. If all six say the same thing, it will be bad, if they each show a new perspective, than it might be acceptable. Different school have different limits. If you send to many, it will look like overkill and a desperate attempt. I would stick to 1 letter from the premed committee, and then 2 or 3 others.

does your school have a committee letter or a letter service?

i'm encountering the same problem (6 letters) but can't do anything about it anymore because they are already in my committee packet. i called some of the schools that i have applied to, and they said not to worry.

to play it safe, i would just call up the schools and ask - g'luck!