MD Is 64GB enough storage in an iPad Pro for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkks1516

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that use iPad Pros in medical school, do you feel that 64GB is enough storage/plenty of space, or should I aim for the 256GB?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't use apple products but I know they're expensive, so I suggest get the cheaper option and then buy a good quality portable hard drive. I'm looking at a 1 terabyte one for $45 with almost 9000 reviews on amazon.

Unless you're storing a bunch of videos on your ipad, 64 should be fine. We were "given" the 256 Gb, and I'm almost done with my first year and have only used 25 so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're storing a bunch of videos on your ipad, 64 should be fine. We were "given" the 256 Gb, and I'm almost done with my first year and have only used 25 so far.
What do you use your iPad for? Trying to understand the use case to see if it’s worthwhile for me to get one!

Yeah, I feel like 64GB is a lot. I have 64GB on my phone and I'm nowhere close to using it up, but I just wasn't sure how much space word documents/notetaking apps take up. I don't plan on taking pictures or videos much, at most maybe recording lectures..

Yeah, I feel like 64GB is a lot. I have 64GB on my phone and I'm nowhere close to using it up, but I just wasn't sure how much space word documents/notetaking apps take up. I don't plan on taking pictures or videos much, at most maybe recording lectures..
Which, btw, I would primarily be using the iPad Pro to take notes and keep all important documents/papers in one place.

I don't use apple products but I know they're expensive, so I suggest get the cheaper option and then buy a good quality portable hard drive. I'm looking at a 1 terabyte one for $45 with almost 9000 reviews on amazon.
Yeah I'm a complete Apple drone, so I like to use their products because all of my things are synced between devices. Definitely an expensive preference, but the devices I have had lasted me pretty well :)

What do you use your iPad for? Trying to understand the use case to see if it’s worthwhile for me to get one!

I primarily use my ipad when I'm on campus, and my laptop at home.
Anki, test-taking, notes (drawing, ppts, etc.), watching lectures (recorded by school). Notability is a great app for organizing your stuff, and you can use cloud storage to back-up/sync.
You'd save a ton of money just getting a portable hard drive to store your big stuff, and just managing your ipad storage for "on the go" stuff.

Even if you religiously take notes, the file size is very small, and you can back-up old notes after you finish the subject somewhere else.
If I was responsible for buying my own ipad, I would've gotten 64 Gb.

I have the “older” 2016 Pro and have 128 GB of storage and I’ve used about 30 GB. Granted, I am a bit liberal when it comes to apps and stuff and seem to never delete things I download. But I think 64 is PLENTY.

Yeah I'm a complete Apple drone, so I like to use their products because all of my things are synced between devices. Definitely an expensive preference, but the devices I have had lasted me pretty well :)

Agreed. My MacBook is almost 6 years old and you wouldn’t even be able to tell performance wise. Battery life is still great on it.

I have a 256gb iPad Pro that I use for undergrad and plan to use for medical school. I think you’re fine with 64gb because all the note taking apps (eg, notability or GoodNotes) sync to the iCloud or other cloud services. So you could do the 64gb iPad and then pay 99¢/month for 50gb iCloud or you could just use google drive/Dropbox.

can you connect an external hard drive to an ipad?

My one-note currently takes up 86GB right now, and I don't finish M2 until may...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say no but only because I was a study to music person and BitTorrented a TON of music during pre-clinicals.

You need 32 gigs just to run the thing right, get the 128 .

2018-03-07 19_59_09-B__F_ - WinDirStat.png

for those of you w/ costco, the older 9.7 inch model w/ 128 gb is on sale for $400 right now
Costco Wholesale

I would go for the 256 - between my notability, anki, and different resource vids, I would fill the 64 rather quickly even with a bunch of stuff in the cloud. I also like having a lot of my resources offline, but thats mostly because I do a lot of traveling across the state (a bunch of class carpools from east to westside of the state fairly regularly for family and such) and not being limited to only studying while connected to wifi is important to me, so my VLC is pretty full

For those of you that use iPad Pros in medical school, do you feel that 64GB is enough storage/plenty of space, or should I aim for the 256GB?
No and Yes...If you have cloud storage enough to back up your data and internet connection available 24 hours than you can go for i pad, otherwise you will at least need 500 gb worth of space...

Any good cheaper options than the iPad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No and Yes...If you have cloud storage enough to back up your data and internet connection available 24 hours than you can go for i pad, otherwise you will at least need 500 gb worth of space...

I don't even have 500 GB on my desktop, and that's with multiple games/movies/music. I think 500GB is a crazy overestimate.

I feel like I'm the only person on SDN who hasn't quite figured out how to really use my iPad pro lol. It felt like a total waste of money to me.

What are some things people use theirs for other than just powerpoint note taking? I take no notes lol

I mostly have mine up as a second screen/use it for references/source material etc. I'll have my laptop open lets say on a lecture, with notability with lectures/first aid open, so I can have both things up at the same time. I also do any readings (especially things like when I'm working on my research project and reading a ton of pdf research article abstracts) on it, and annotate the slides for pathoma/B.B./etc while I watch the video on my laptop.

Reactions: 1 users
I mostly have mine up as a second screen/use it for references/source material etc. I'll have my laptop open lets say on a lecture, with notability with lectures/first aid open, so I can have both things up at the same time. I also do any readings (especially things like when I'm working on my research project and reading a ton of pdf research article abstracts) on it, and annotate the slides for pathoma/B.B./etc while I watch the video on my laptop.
Solid recommendation. Tried it today and worked really well. Thank you

Does anyone have opinions on screen size? I like that the 12.5” has about the same dimensions as a legal pad (8.7x12”), since that’s what I’m used to taking handwritten notes on. But otherwise it seems excessively large for carrying around during clinical rotations and such, and the 10.5” is significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
Does anyone have opinions on screen size? I like that the 12.5” has about the same dimensions as a legal pad (8.7x12”), since I’m used to taking notes by hand. But otherwise it seems excessively large, and the 10.5” is significantly cheaper.

A few SDN'ers have suggested the 12.5" as the way to go, so I'll probably go with that. I should mention, though, I like bigger screens. I have the Galaxy S8+ as well!! Anyway, main reason for this post - I have read several articles that *believe* Apple will release the 3rd Gen iPad Pro around June-July. I'm going to wait until at least then to purchase mine since at that point, I can decide - buy the 3rd Gen or save money on the likely to be cheaper 2nd Gen (which is the current iPad Pro available). I do want to buy the iPad now but I can't lie to myself - buying it now would serve little purpose other than watching Netflix/Twitch TV until school begins :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

If you're going to go with an Apple product, you can also pay $0.99/month for increased iCloud storage (50 GB). If ~100 GB of storage between local and cloud storage isn't enough, I'd suggest getting an actual PC or a 2-in-1.

Current MS1. I have the 64 and am fine so far. I use one note for all my ppt lectures and delete the courses I’ve completed from the iPad (they are still
saved in the cloud so I can bring them back whenever I wish). Really liking the iPad Pro and pencil.

Based on your experience, if I approximatly needed 30 gb for my first year in med school, do you think 128gb will be enough for extra 5 years? Really need an answer asap

Based on your experience, if I approximatly needed 30 gb for my first year in med school, do you think 128gb will be enough for extra 5 years? Really need an answer asap
Yup. If you need more storage, you can get 50 gb of cloud storage for like $2/mth.