Is 9-10 credits in one semester MS enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis689

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning on taking a few graduate courses in an MS program in Cell and Molecular Biology.
The following are the courses (all grad level):
Immunology (4 credits)
Mycology (4 credits)
Cancer Biology (2 credits)

Would this work ??

My undergrad wasn't so great:
Biology I: B+, Biology 2: C, Biology of Extinct Animals: C, Microbiology: B, Pathogenic Microbiology: B, Genetics: B, General Chemistry 1 with lab: C/B-, General Chemistry II: A, Organic Chemistry I: F, retake: A, Advanced Cell Bio: C, Physics I: A, Physics 2: C, Physics Seminar: A, Organic Chemistry II: B+, Neuroscience: B, Ecology: A

DAT was a 22 AA, oGPA is a 3.15, sGPA is 2.97

Good ECs, an unusual major, good LORs

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, It might not seem like a big load to many people, but I am doing a MS in Microbiology right now, and 10 credits are going to keep you very busy, and 6 credits is considered full time. The max you can have is 12 credits in one semester for a Masters. But yeah, I am not sure how ADCOMS will see that. I took 10 Credits my first semester and 9 my second semester. This semester im taking 9 again. But as I said. You will be very busy with classes , labs, and as a graduate student, you will be graded more harshly, and you will be expected to have deeper understanding of those topics. SO yeah. I have only 19 credits for my first year of MS, but it has been busy busy busy. Good luck with it. You should know that most schools still weigh your undergrad more heavily than your masters anyways, which is unfortunate for people like us. Chao

By the way. I have similar GPA lower DAT. I am at 3.15 oGPA, 3.1 Science, and 20AA
3.75 for my Masters

Last edited:
Taking just 10 credits isn't going to prove anything. Most schools want you to to have the MS completed or almost completed.
Honestly, It might not seem like a big load to many people, but I am doing a MS in Microbiology right now, and 10 credits are going to keep you very busy, and 6 credits is considered full time. The max you can have is 12 credits in one semester for a Masters. But yeah, I am not sure how ADCOMS will see that. I took 10 Credits my first semester and 9 my second semester. This semester im taking 9 again. But as I said. You will be very busy with classes , labs, and as a graduate student, you will be graded more harshly, and you will be expected to have deeper understanding of those topics. SO yeah. I have only 19 credits for my first year of MS, but it has been busy busy busy. Good luck with it. You should know that most schools still weigh your undergrad more heavily than your masters anyways, which is unfortunate for people like us. Chao

By the way. I have similar GPA lower DAT. I am at 3.15 oGPA, 3.1 Science, and 20AA
3.75 for my Masters
I've taken 15 credits and 13 credits each semester so far in my Masters program. It's doable as long as you dedicate yourself to only studying. I thought 10 credits and less was low in terms of coursework. Do you work part-time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 8 credits/semester in my MS (which is full-time) and it was enough to support my application for an acceptance!

I took 8 credits/semester in my MS (which is full-time) and it was enough to support my application for an acceptance!
I agree, and it varies from program to program. I took really rigorous courses this past year. Even though one of them was 5 credits for example, i was spending over 20 hours in the Lab, on top of the class-time, given that it required me to spend that much time in the lab, in order for me to get the experiments right and to get an A in the class. So it all depends on the individual,, the class and as I said, the program. Most masters program consider 9-12 credits full time. I work part time on top of that, have a son (which requires me to drop him off , pick him up and spend time with him when I get home), and I am involved on Campus extracurriculars. So for me, I could take more classes, but I feel like it could hinder my performance.

When i get to dental school it will be different, because my little man will be able to go to school, so that should take a little bit of the pressure off my shoulders.

Anyways. You will know whats more appropiate for you after the first semester. IF you think you can handle 15 credits of Graduate work, then by all means add that to your second semester and so on. You also have to consider that more credits = more money, and if you are self dependent, then taking more courses and blowing out more money will not be as feasible as someone whose parents pay for their schooling and expenses

Reactions: 1 user
Second what everyone else is saying. I took 6 credits in a molecular genetics masters program, and paired with my research it was very much a full load. I don't know of any students who take more than 10-11 grad credits at once.

couldn't agree more. i took 9-10 credit hours for my MS (plus working full-time) and that was more than enough, trust me. you'll be fine, just get those A's!

Actually at your school 8 credits is considered full time.

Cool Doc. You can use google and read.
Apparently others have the opposite problem. But, then we would not want to decrease the misinformation presented on this forums by those in the "know".