IS a 29 good enough for ANY med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 29 (8PS, 11BS and 10V) and I have a 3.5 gpa. I'm a CA resident but am willing to go anywhere! Would I be wasting my time applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it! I don't think you would be wasting your time (or money) by applying this cycle. A 29 is not a bad score and I feel that you have a great chance at a lot of schools. Just be sure to apply to a wide range of schools in all tiers.

Hoovah

29 is fine to apply with. Just pick the schools wisely to having avoid wasting your time/money.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average MCAT score of those matriculating into med school is a 29.5. Obviously you have a very good shot-especially at middle and lower tier schools. In my opinion, a 29 would not get you rejected automatically at most schools.

There are plenty of schools out there where you have a good chance of getting in. For example, U. of Louisville is a respected med school, usually ranked in top 50, and the avg. MCAT score there is only 27. Go for it!!

yeah-- definetly apply. not only do you have nothing to lose (except for the application fees), but you have a good chance of getting in!! just be sure to apply to lots of schools. best of luck!!

A 29 is good enough for LOTS of medical schools!! :) So, go for it. Make sure your LOR's and essays are terrific. Choose your schools wisely, and apply to lots of them (there's even a thread on this very topic, which I can't find right now due to the disappearance of the search function :( ). I applied to 23 schools last year with a 3.5 GPA and a 30 MCAT, and had good results. Best of luck!! :D

By all means, please apply. An MCAT score of 30 seems to be the minimum for acceptance into U.S. medical schools, but a 29 cannot be overlooked. Besides, a strong GPA, a good personal statement, great letters of recs, and some extracurricular activities will only help you...definitely apply to some of the lower ranking schools just to be safe.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KatieJune:
•Would I be wasting my time applying?•••••NO! I have a friend who got into her state school with a 24! Go for it! Just make sure you choose reasonable schools to apply to

my mcat was 28 with an undergrad 3.0... but i did have a semester of grad school with a 4.0 and a real mission that was backed up by my vol. and job experience and i got accepted at 2 state schools. the point is: YOUR APP IS SOOOO MUCH MORE THAN YOUR NUMBERS. Go for it! i never in a million years thought i would have gotten in. if you aren't impressed by your numbers, make the rest of your stuff glow. good luck! :wink:

•I got a 29 (8PS, 11BS and 10V) and I have a 3.5 gpa. I'm a CA resident but am willing to go anywhere! Would I be wasting my time applying?•••••You're in decent shape. Just make sure to focus in your application and interviews on what makes you a unique applicant. Make sure to write a strong personal statement and practice vision. Make sure that you have research and clinical experience....

just agreeing with the others on this thread.. i was accepted to 2 allopathic schools with a 3.62 state school GPA, 4.0 grad GPA, and 29Q MCAT. make sure you apply to all of your state schools and a wide range of private schools.

any suggestions on where to apply? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest applying to a wide range of schools. I was accepted with similar stats. Don't only look at the average GPA/MCAT figures for schools. Apply to schools you're interested in and take a chance. Med schools accept people with such a wide range of scores that its worth trying. Good luck!

Rezul

You should try these schools - they seem to be in your "stat range" and accept a large amount of out-of-staters...

MCP Hahnemann (now Drexel)
Temple University - where I'm starting this fall! :)
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Finch University - Chicago Medical School

California will be tough, unfortunately. But you never know (especially if you're a URM), so if you can afford it try! A wide range is definitely good. One thing for sure, you *can* get in somewhere. :) My MCAT was almost identical...I did have a 9 on PS for 30 overall, but my GPA was a bit lower at 3.46. Just apply to as many schools as you can afford as early as possible, and make the most of your extracurriculars and personal statement.

check out the thread with the guy w/ a 28Q and the schools that people recommended to him, that should give you some ideas.

I just finished my first year at UCSF - had a 29T and a 3.8 GPA. I know another classmate with a 29 also - neither of us are URM. So.. apply to the CA schools, it doesn't cost that much and is worth a shot! Hope that helps. Good luck!

Becky

hey Becky--congrats on finishing your first year at UCSF! If you see this at all, would you mind saying what you think made your application stand out in the eyes of UCSF (and your friend's application if you happen to know). Just wondering, if you don't want to divulge that's cool. gracias.

•I got a 29 (8PS, 11BS and 10V) and I have a 3.5 gpa. I'm a CA resident but am willing to go anywhere! Would I be wasting my time applying?•••••Oh yes, nobody EVER gets accepted with grades and scores like yours. Don't waste your time. :rolleyes: :wink: :p :wink: :rolleyes:

Hi gbv,

I don't know exactly what to tell you - an application has so many parts. I know that for UCSF, the personal statement is very important (much more than at other schools). Also, life experiences count a lot. I took a few years off - was a health care consultant, worked for an IRB, etc. - this may have been interesting to them. My friend applied the first year and got into Davis - he decided not to go and reapplied the next year after being a substance abuse counselor for one year. I'm sure there was a lot more to his app than that, but that's all I know. Anyway, I think the point with SF is that they are looking for individuals with unique experiences that will shape the class. But, always remember, a good part of it is luck, too. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Becky

hi,

about UC schools...
I was thinking of applying to UCSF just for the heck of it... my #'s are not that high.. 30 and 3.6 from MIT..
but I do have good LOR and a good personal statement, according to other people.
I was thinking of trying for UCSF, but the reason I decided not to was that I was honestly intimidated... if for some chance that they accept me, i didn't think i would be able to survive among those crazy competitive 35-37MCAT and 3.9 GPA folk..
should i not be discouraged by that and just apply?
and if so.. how do i add a school to the AMCAS apps? my list of 16 schools are still there... so i just add UCSF and recertify and resubmit?
it won't resubmit to my 16 schools again, right?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

eunice

eunice--just apply if you want to, and you already know how to add the school, and don't worry, it won't resubmit to the other schools. :)

hey katiejune, I thought you were applying to dental schools?

I got a 29 (8PS, 11BS and 10V) and I have a 3.5 gpa. I'm a CA resident but am willing to go anywhere! Would I be wasting my time applying?

Katie I think your numbers are fine for most medical schools. It would be a stretch for the top schools, but applying to them can't hurt you. Apply to a wide variety of schools early and I think you should be fine. Just remember, that aside from the numbers (which are average for accepted students), that it's also your LOR, personal statement, ECs, and interview that are looked at in conjunction with your grades and MCAT. In other words make sure that you make your application as well-rounded as possible. Don't overlook anything. Good luck. :D

eunice--
I considered the same thing: who wants to be surrounded by grade-obsessed competitive students?? I always hear stories of med students ripping pages out of library books and journals so that other students can't adequately finish an assignment. Who knows if there is any truth to that. I think the ability to score high on the MCAT doesn't necessarily denote a competitive student. The MCAT measures testing ability, not necessarily study habits, competitiveness...Don't be discouraged. A high GPA doesn't denote a competitive student either. At my university students actually achieved high grades by relying on each other--comparing notes, forming study groups, discussing labs...If anything, you will be surrounded by intelligent students who foster a creative learning environment. While your stats "aren't that high," they aren't that low either. You show that you have the ability to succeed. If other factors (ECs, interview, LORs) get you accepted to the school, you deserve to be there! Hope you get in :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by eunice:
•hi,

about UC schools...
I was thinking of applying to UCSF just for the heck of it... my #'s are not that high.. 30 and 3.6 from MIT..
but I do have good LOR and a good personal statement, according to other people.
I was thinking of trying for UCSF, but the reason I decided not to was that I was honestly intimidated... if for some chance that they accept me, i didn't think i would be able to survive among those crazy competitive 35-37MCAT and 3.9 GPA folk..
should i not be discouraged by that and just apply?
and if so.. how do i add a school to the AMCAS apps? my list of 16 schools are still there... so i just add UCSF and recertify and resubmit?
it won't resubmit to my 16 schools again, right?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

eunice•••••If you don't apply you won't get in. If you do apply you MAY get in. You got nothing to lose.

KatieJune,

You should consider applying to UC schools too. I know people with MCAT scores of less than 30 getting in. In fact I know someone from this past year who had a 28 and still got 4 UC interviews and eventually was accepted by 2 UC's. Just apply early and make sure all other parts of your application are as good as you can get. Good luck!

trip

any other ideas about where to apply? Would I have a shot at any west coast schools? (I'm a CA resident)

Please don't be discouraged with a 29! I had similar doubts about my application a year ago and here I am a year later and was accepted to 5 of 11 schools, and I withdrew from 3 schools that offered me interviews..so please be confident. I surely was not and was pleasantly surprised with where I have ended up!
Good luck!

hmm. i seem to be the only one who thinks that the 8 in PS might be hold you back.
i definitely think it's worth a shot; i'm not saying you won't get in anywhere bc you certainly have a chance.
but i personally would retake just so i can really convince myself that i had given it my best.

if you think you've already tried your best, go for it.

also, i think that for any given score it is in your best interest to score the lowest in physical science because it has the least bearing on your success in medical school. i scored a 33 P (8 V, 14 PS, 11 BS) with a 3.7 gpa, played 3 years of ncaa soccer, did 2 years of research, worked 20+ hours in two different jobs, and had a bunch of other ec's. i got interviews in only half of the schools i applied to and got accepted into only one school. in two interviews i was asked about my verbal score. they said if i cant read i wont pass my boards. several others with mcats in the high 20's with a higher verbal score were accepted into schools where i was rejected, depsite their lower gpa and less involvement. with a 10/11 in v/bs, i definately say apply to realistic schools and i am sure you will have more than one acceptance next year.

Originally posted by KatieJune
any other ideas about where to apply? Would I have a shot at any west coast schools? (I'm a CA resident)
Doubtfull.

hmmm, BeckyG got in with a 29 to UCSF, labrynth49 got into UCSD with a 29 and 3.49, some guy on the PR board got into UCI and UCLA with a 29 (7 VR!) annabanana got into USC with a 29 (and I believe interviewed at OHSU). As far as I know, none of these people are URM's. However, I fear that Jalby may be right, these people are just exceptions and you haven't a chance. sorry! if you have the misfortune of getting into a horrible school that no one has ever heard of like Tufts on the East Coast and do not get into a super-prestigious school in CA, I would suggest crying your eyes out for 3 straight weeks and only leaving the house for mourning purposes.

*for anyone that didn't pick up on it (which I'm afraid may be more than a few) this post contains sarcasm. hint: I go to Tufts, and in spite of how the school gets trashed on this board I like it there.

Oh, and seriously, if I were a CA resident and did not apply anywhere in-state and some of my friends with <30 MCAT's got into a UC (or USC), I would feel like a jackass. But that's just me. Good luck, hope you prove the naysayers wrong!:)

Originally posted by KatieJune

Katie,

I thought you were interested in dentistry???? Were you pretending to be interested in dentistry because you felt guilty with your MCAT score??? Figures.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist

Katie,

I thought you were interested in dentistry???? Were you pretending to be interested in dentistry because you felt guilty with your MCAT score??? Figures.

DesiDentist

I know I am not the Katie you are referring to, but I don't see why someone can not be interested in both medicine and dentistry and make up their mind as they go along. I know someone who applied to medical school and was accepted at 2 schools (and yes, they were US and allopathic for those of you who intend to start bashing DO's and Ross U.) before he turned them down and decided to go into dentistry. He is very happy with his choice and a really nice person. I also know a few dental students at Tufts who wanted to go into medicine but did not want the trouble of taking a year off to get all their stuff together to apply to MD school. It just really depends. I don't think of myself as super superior just because I chose the MD route, and I see a lot of attitudes among the DDS students and hostility toward the MD students at TUSM that I don't really care for. I really have no problem with it if some of the DDS applicants are also interested in going MD or DO, or vice versa. Both are challenging "helping professions" and can be lucrative to boot!

Yes, I know there are a lot of students who are passionate about both dentistry and medicine. However, one can only choose one career (at a time, that is). I know there are a ton of students who are passionate only about dentistry and solely want to be a dentist. But people who are "confused" end up applying to both just to be safe and that hurts those pre-dental students who just only want to be dentists. I don't mind anyone applying to both, but please be sure that you want to do it. Not only because you finally figured out that you can't get into medical school or having doubts if you can even get into medical school, like the poster above.

DesiDentist

I think oral surgeons do both med school and dental school, although not at the same time. :)

Yes, Oral Surgery is a speciality of dentistry. If one wants to get both a D.D.S/M.D. one can go to dental school for 4 years and do a 6 year M.D. program after dental school for the M.D.

DesiDentist

Absolutely APPLY! No medical school will look at your app and say "oh my god, a 29 we have to accept/reject him/her!" Your in the game, and everything else will determine your fate.
Good luck!

heh, the Stanford bastards will