Is a 4.0 semester worth an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not an attempt to humble brag. I am genuinely curious whether or not this alone is worthy of an update, as usually I see people sending updates for big things like publications and what not:

It appears that I will end this semester with a 4.0 (President's List); I am only waiting on one more grade to officially post. I was on the list a previous semester before applying, so it is included in my app for that semester. My overall GPA when I applied was a 3.8+...it will go up around 0.02 now, so it's not like it's a sudden drastic improvement.

This semester, I took 15 credits (all but 3 were upper-division). These credits included my senior honors thesis, which I am currently writing on a topic in biomedical ethics.

As far as other activities, I have not done anything new, but have just continued my previous extracurriculars that are already included on my app.

Is it worth sending an update about this 4.0 semester alone (to schools that accept updates, obviously)?

Members don't see this ad.

This is not an attempt to humble brag. I am genuinely curious whether or not this alone is worthy of an update, as usually I see people sending updates for big things like publications and what not:

It appears that I will end this semester with a 4.0 (President's List); I am only waiting on one more grade to officially post. I was on the list a previous semester before applying, so it is included in my app for that semester. My overall GPA when I applied was a 3.8+...it will go up around 0.02 now, so it's not like it's a sudden drastic improvement.

This semester, I took 15 credits (all but 3 were upper-division). These credits included my senior honors thesis, which I am currently writing on a topic in biomedical ethics.

As far as other activities, I have not done anything new, but have just continued my previous extracurriculars that are already included on my app.

Is it worth sending an update about this 4.0 semester alone (to schools that accept updates, obviously)?
With such high GPA, I don't think that your GPA is a limiting factor anyways, so updating with only GPA, I don't see how it will increase your chances. Since you are accepted to several schools already, you will need to update the school where you will decide to matriculate.

Otherwise, I thought, AACOMAS is doing updates right now. So you can update your AACOMAS app and send them your transcripts.

Reactions: 1 users
I would update them. Semester grades definitely fall under the list of things worth updating them about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I thought you are accepted to your IS school and your top choice.

Reactions: 3 users
That is different story then. If for the purposes to get into MD school and OP haven't heard yes or no from them, then I would definitely update.
Yes, it is for MD.

I have been accepted to my top choice DO school, but have not heard much from any MD schools, IS or OOS.

Yes, it is for MD.

I have been accepted to my top choice DO school, but have not heard much from any MD schools, IS or OOS.
I would update.

I think the fact of having 15 credits with 4.0 may have more impact than 0.02 GPA raise.

If it were me, I would probably E-mail the school and ask if the update is preferred or just do it.

I can't see any negatives.

As long as they accept updates, update them! Way to go this semester!

Reactions: 1 user
I think a grade update is perfectly appropriate. If you had other substance it would be nice though.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't bother. If someone is trying to do GPA repair then recent grades become very important. That does not appear to be your situation.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't bother. If someone is trying to do GPA repair then recent grades become very important. That does not appear to be your situation.

Hmm split adcom consensus again. Not sure what to make of this.

From what I read, the most meaningful updates are grade updates, updates on major new awards, or updates on publications/presentations. I guess grade updates here could help, but may not be meaningful when coupled with an already strong GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input guys!! @Goro & @Med Ed in particular, being adcoms...your advice is very helpful.

I think I am just going to send a combined letter of interest/update to my top choice MD and maybe one or two other schools. I agree with you, @Med Ed, that the real deficit in my app from an MD perspective is my MCAT, which the 4.0 does not address (especially considering my grade trend was already high).

Update as often as possible. Not gonna hurt. At minimum it will show you're still interested in the school.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the point here is that it ain't gonna hurt you to update, but it may not help you, either. So go ahead with the update, but do so with the knowledge that it may not make a difference.

Most def. I think they might prefer it to just be a bullet point list of the classes and grades instead of a letter though.