• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Is a bachelor's degree necessary for specialization after dental school?

purekitten

Jan 1, 2012
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hi, I'm a high school senior that is currently considering UoP's 5 and 6 year dental program. If I went into their 5 year program, I would complete 2 years of undergrad work at their Stockton campus, then go directly to the dental school after that. Going to their 6 year dental program would require me to do 3 years of undergraduate work and then be granted a bachelors in science after my first year in UoP's dental school. After attending UoP's profile day for admitted students, I learned from the pre-dental faculty that the 5 year program is not the favored path of most students because the lack of having a bachelor's degree negatively impacts a candidate's chance of being accepted into a specialization program after dental school. Is this true? This is an important decision for me because I want to keep my options open in the future, and yet if a lack of a bachelor's degree will not hurt me, I'll probably go for the 5 year option.

About the Ads

tothepark

10+ Year Member
    Jul 19, 2008
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Some residencies require a transcript from your undergraduate institution. Therefore, if you do not have a bachelors degree or have a limited undergrad transcript it can potentially have a negative result.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
      Feb 3, 2002
      1. Dentist
        If you are a rockstar in dental school, the lack of a bachelor's degree is not going to matter. The only place that MIGHT get hung up on it is a med school attached to a 6-yr OMFS residency that has some silly undergrad requirement, not the actual OMFS residency itself. But if they really want you, they will make it happen. The 4 year programs and other specialties won't care about a bachelor's or not.

tothepark

10+ Year Member
        Jul 19, 2008
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Of course, but a lack of a degree will most likely mean a limited transcript. From my understanding this is usually the case for OMFS residency where the med schools get to see your undergrad transcript for acceptance, im sure a lack of a degree can only hurt you

Michael Scarn

Mar 9, 2010
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            If you want to do an MD integrated OMFS program it will absolutely be a huge problem. You will not be accepted. It is a requirement of every med school for the students to have a bachelor degree.
            I'd do the 3+3 program at Pacific. You'll fast track and still get your degree.

SexyMariGal

Oct 13, 2011
              If you want to do an MD integrated OMFS program it will absolutely be a huge problem. You will not be accepted. It is a requirement of every med school for the students to have a bachelor degree.
              I'd do the 3+3 program at Pacific. You'll fast track and still get your degree.
              So a bachelor's is worth more than a doctoral degree at those schools? They must have a really big stick up their ass of superiority complex. The fact that not everyone can make it into dental school and that the applicant has a dental degree says more than any schmuck with a BA/BS.

Michael Scarn

Mar 9, 2010
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                So a bachelor's is worth more than a doctoral degree at those schools? They must have a really big stick up their ass of superiority complex. The fact that not everyone can make it into dental school and that the applicant has a dental degree says more than any schmuck with a BA/BS.

Agreed. But med schools find it extremely difficult to think outside the box. They had to get a BA so you do too.
                I took online courses during dental school to finish up my BA so I'd be eligible. I know as much as anyone how bad it sucks.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
                Feb 3, 2002
                1. Dentist
                  Agreed. But med schools find it extremely difficult to think outside the box. They had to get a BA so you do too.
                  I took online courses during dental school to finish up my BA so I'd be eligible. I know as much as anyone how bad it sucks.

So in the remote chance that the OP ends up wanting to apply for 6 year MD programs, then he/she would need a BA and could do some online courses like you did. Otherwise, if he decides to do any of the other 8 specialties or 4 year OMS programs, it won't matter.

I vote for 5 year program, get in, get your degree, keep your debt down. Undergrad is mostly a waste of time if dentistry is your final career destination.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.