Is a bachelor's degree required for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncronejr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ahve looked at several schools prerequisite links and I have yet to see a requirement for a bachelors degree plainly stated. I ahve considered physical therapy in the past and all of the PT school sites clearly state that a bachelors degree is required. So whats the skinny on this? Is a bachelors required for vet school or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with a large grain of salt, but I don't know of m(any?) veterinary schools that require a bachelors, but a decent amount do require >90 hours.

I ahve looked at several schools prerequisite links and I have yet to see a requirement for a bachelors degree plainly stated. I ahve considered physical therapy in the past and all of the PT school sites clearly state that a bachelors degree is required. So whats the skinny on this? Is a bachelors required for vet school or not?

No. In veterinary school, you do not need a bachelors degree in oder to get accepted. I am entering into vet school this year and I do not have a degree. I was accepted a year early and will receive my bachelors after my first full year. Now every school has different requirements, but a degree is not needed.

You just need to have all the specific pre-requisite courses for the school(s) you are applying to. Take note that different schools require different things, and some will allow you to complete them in the spring or summer before you matriculate... but some won't.

So no, a bachelor's isn't necessary. I think it's a good idea to work in that direction in case you end up needing it, though. :)